4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Ahhh #$%^#@$%^#& wheel locks!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blee69mustang
if you know what company you got the lock from you can call them and tell them the code for your lock and they'll mail you a new key. thats what i had to do. good luck man.
No key,packaging, ect...in other words, i have no clue what the code is and if there is a code on the lock i cant see it b/c its still stuck on the wheel.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
i believe it is 20 dollars for all 4 wheel locks but you may get a nice guy working and they may do it for no charge but i will not guarantee that you will find a guy that will do it for free
I have no problem paying $20 to get them off. hell id probably pay $60 to get them off if i had to. $20 is fine with me.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 PM
scubasteve22
3rd Gear Member

just go to pep boys or something and like someone said before get a socket one size too small and hammer it on there....yes it works on round lugnuts...i have had to do this before and it worked perfect...they only problem is sometimes if u hammer it too hard the lug can get stuck in the ratchet so may have to buy a few ratchets but they are only a few dollars and buy the new locks
Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

The shop that did it for me had a special set. It had reverse threads and gripped onto the lug. Worked like a charm. Within in a few minutes he had all 4 off, and he didn't charge me anything
Old 03-22-2009, 11:38 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

Dude, just weld a nut to the lock, then twist it off with a socket wrench....

of course your going to need new locks,
Old 03-22-2009, 11:44 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MAD SVT

Have you ever tried that, I think that would be really hard to do, and may damage the wheel with any slag, it may even damage the stud from the heat.

That wouldn't be my first attempt but if it works for you more power to you.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

nah you dont get the arc near the wheel itself, weld the inside of the nut not the outside... ya thats too risky. i have never done it myself, it was done in a shop i used to frequent. but im thinking if your careful enough with welding blankets, it should be fine.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Hum, cool. I guess it can be done then.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:25 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

just use a 12 point socket that will barley fit the lock, if you have a good socket when you hammer it in the points will dog into the lock so therefore allowing you to twist it off. Once it comes off the lock may not come out of the socket easly just grab a hammer lay the socket on its side and give it a couple of whacks near where the lock and socket are connected and it should pop right out that's all they are going to do anywhere else..
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scubasteve22
just go to pep boys or something and like someone said before get a socket one size too small and hammer it on there....yes it works on round lugnuts...i have had to do this before and it worked perfect...they only problem is sometimes if u hammer it too hard the lug can get stuck in the ratchet so may have to buy a few ratchets but they are only a few dollars and buy the new locks
yea, i am going to try this when i get off work

Originally Posted by getafewlives
The shop that did it for me had a special set. It had reverse threads and gripped onto the lug. Worked like a charm. Within in a few minutes he had all 4 off, and he didn't charge me anything
Hmmmm, were the called "lock breakers" by any chance????

Hell no!

Originally Posted by defconfire
Have you ever tried that, I think that would be really hard to do, and may damage the wheel with any slag, it may even damage the stud from the heat.
That wouldn't be my first attempt but if it works for you more power to you.
+1

nah you dont get the arc near the wheel itself, weld the inside of the nut not the outside... ya thats too risky. i have never done it myself, it was done in a shop i used to frequent. but im thinking if your careful enough with welding blankets, it should be fine.
Not even going to attempt it

Originally Posted by defconfire
Hum, cool. I guess it can be done then.
no it cant, LOL!!!

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
just use a 12 point socket that will barley fit the lock, if you have a good socket when you hammer it in the points will dog into the lock so therefore allowing you to twist it off. Once it comes off the lock may not come out of the socket easly just grab a hammer lay the socket on its side and give it a couple of whacks near where the lock and socket are connected and it should pop right out that's all they are going to do anywhere else..
I do believe this is the route i am going to go.

Quick Reply: Ahhh #$%^#@$%^#& wheel locks!!!!!!!!