4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I'm buying LT's, finally.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 AM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brute03
well can't you just get the cheaper ones and wrap it with this stuff?

As for the op, I always thought you had LT's. Shows you how much I pay attention.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I also don't care what they look like ox I am more curious about if they have any benefit in my aplication. My theory is they don't but, Nobody has ever been able to show me how they do add hp unless its in a cramped engine bay of a hot BB. I just wanted to allow more opertunities for the 4.6 to enlighten me.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

I think you should pm cliffyk. He'll give you the answers you're looking for. Of course he'll give it to you in a way that will leave you scratching your head, but it will def be in dept...........lol. That guy knows everything.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

First off, dont wrap your headers if you drive the car anytime its even remotely wet out... The wrap gets wet and will cause rusting x10 faster. I'd go with the ceramics if you can afford it. Its extra piece of mind and its supposed to lower temps...
Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Originally Posted by Brute03
well can't you just get the cheaper ones and wrap it with this stuff?

Exhaust wrap is for race cars only. They will be the only thing holding the headers together 2 years down the road because of rust.

Sxynerd, with my regular old HTS coated MAC longtubes my engine bay temps are only 86* with outside temp of 60*. I doubt an extra couple hundred dollars of coating is going to get it any cooler.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

well what does the wrap actually do??? does it serve the same purpose as ceramic coating?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Well how much money do you have to spend? Are you looking at like ARH, kooks or stainless works? Or are you leaning more towards mac or bbk? I see you live in MI and the winter are pretty brutal there just like chicago. Do you drive your car year round? The only prob with even ceramic coated is they will eventually rust from the inside out. Now I don't know how long you plan on keep your car, but my buddies bbks rusted from the inside out in 3 years and they were ceramic coated. So its up to you. I would just keep saving and go with stainless steel.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02 Ninja
I think you should pm cliffyk. He'll give you the answers you're looking for. Of course he'll give it to you in a way that will leave you scratching your head, but it will def be in dept...........lol. That guy knows everything.
Yeah no, lol 500+ hp with stock exhaust manifolds. I've planned on it but just haven't actually bought them and since now I'm having my timing cover and bunch of other parts powder coated the motor is back out. I haven't driven my car since September. My car does NOT see bad weather. I hope to have it retuned and 580-600 with the newest mods. (realistically 580)

The price difference is about $150.

If I went with the cheaper ones what would be the difference between their coating and my powder coater putting a ceramic finish on them?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:41 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

If the car does not see bad weather, then i wouldn't think there is really a NEED for ceramic coating.. Like Ox said, how much could it possibly lower temperatures?? Maybe there is research on the internet about that??

i would go pypes stainless steel supposed to last long since its stainless steel, and HOSS loves his... he also loves how they dont hang low.. i know that your car is SLAMMED so that could play a factor

sorry if this doesnt help.. just throwing my .02 in
Old 03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
cobra dreamer
2nd Gear Member

i would say go with the coated they will last longer

Quick Reply: I'm buying LT's, finally.