4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Thinking about buying a 96 GT vert, worth it or not??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Default Thinking about buying a 96 GT vert, worth it or not??

theres a guy who lives right by me whos selling a 96 GT convertible 5sp for $3500. i want to get a general idea of whether or not its worth it, or if i should just continue my search. here's the details:

THE GOOD:
-73,800 miles
-idles and revs very well
-no noticeable leaks
-with the exception of one small tear, rag top is in pretty good shape
-leather interior
-bone stock except for radio
-stock paint is in decent condition, besides the dings it has

THE BAD:
-bucks under heavy load at low RPMs (think it may just need new plugs/wires, had a nearly identical problem with the f150)
-tranny grinds when goin into 3rd
-two 6" dings on passenger door and on that rear fender, and a few other dings in other spots of the car, but none as bad or noticeable as those
-3 or 4 small rust spots on exterior (under two fender wells and the edge of driver door)
-one of the three tail light covers on drivers side is broken
-drivers side mirror doesnt move
-drivers side 6-way power seat doesnt work and is stuck kinda high, but tolerable
-leather is in bad shape on passenger side and getting bad in back seat, yet pretty decent on drivers seat (weird?)
-front bumper has a crack a little less than 6" long right under the grill
-panels that have the automatic locks and window adjusters on both doors do not lock in place
-the key ignition is loose

i am pretty tech savvy and know how to do most of the repairs the car would need, however i do not have the time to replace the transmission (if needed). plan on using it as a daily driver for about six months minimum before i even consider mods, which would be my ultimate goal for the car. im in the process of moving into a new house right now, but have a good bit of work to do to it before i finally settle in there, which is why i wouldnt have a whole lotta time to work on the car right now. also school and work have both had me extremely busy and have sucked out a good bit of my spare time.

my question to you is, is it worth the money, or does it sound like too much of a hassle at the time and i should just keep looking?

Last edited by trailor; 03-24-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

I would pass, they keep coming down in price. The 3rd gear thing is most likely a synchro and is somewhat of a common problem in the 4.6s The Bucking since it is only under heavy load is most likely what you said, but could be something else... The crack in the bumper and rust in the body are just more of a reason to keep on looking. Looks like the bad out weighs the good by alot. Honestly if i were you i would do 1 of 2 things.

1. buy a 5.0 (94,95 ) if you like the sn-95 bodystyle which are cheaper to mod, or just buy a fox 5.0 if you like how they look.
2.Save up a little more money and find yourself a 99 GT for around $6,000 they h ave come down alot in price, and for the price of fixing up that 96 you would be damn close to the price of a 99, and the 99 comes with better H/C/I if you wanna go with the mod motor.

Good Luck on your search but i def say let this one be, i think the price on this will come down alot as he will get no interest at the current price.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:10 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

yea ive been having some serious doubts.. going to call about a few others in the area tomorrow, a 93, 94, and 98, which are all around the same price. thanks for the advice
Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 AM
agarr19
3rd Gear Member

it seems like your list has alot more bad than good pass it up something better will come along
Old 03-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

i wouldnt buy a car that has rust
Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
I would pass, they keep coming down in price. The 3rd gear thing is most likely a synchro and is somewhat of a common problem in the 4.6s The Bucking since it is only under heavy load is most likely what you said, but could be something else... The crack in the bumper and rust in the body are just more of a reason to keep on looking. Looks like the bad out weighs the good by alot. Honestly if i were you i would do 1 of 2 things.

1. buy a 5.0 (94,95 ) if you like the sn-95 bodystyle which are cheaper to mod, or just buy a fox 5.0 if you like how they look.
2.Save up a little more money and find yourself a 99 GT for around $6,000 they h ave come down alot in price, and for the price of fixing up that 96 you would be damn close to the price of a 99, and the 99 comes with better H/C/I if you wanna go with the mod motor.

Good Luck on your search but i def say let this one be, i think the price on this will come down alot as he will get no interest at the current price.
+1....