4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Starter mods for collector car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:59 PM
mgraveman

Default Starter mods for collector car?

I have a 1996 mustang GT with very low miles. I'd like to improve my exhaust note and low end torque. I'm really happy with the HP level and high end performance, so am thinking about doing a different H pipe and 4.30 gears.

Fuel efficiency is not a concern. I want the mods to be 100% reversible and not to risk damage to the car. Is there anything else I should be looking at? I have the SVT exhaust - are there any recommendations for an H pipe to work with this exhaust?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I hope this GT has under 1k miles and is numbered 001 cause I don't know of many GT's that are collectors.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:57 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mgraveman
I have a 1996 mustang GT with very low miles. I'd like to improve my exhaust note and low end torque. I'm really happy with the HP level and high end performance, so am thinking about doing a different H pipe and 4.30 gears.

Fuel efficiency is not a concern. I want the mods to be 100% reversible and not to risk damage to the car. Is there anything else I should be looking at? I have the SVT exhaust - are there any recommendations for an H pipe to work with this exhaust?
LOL, Is this the first car you've owned?

Any H-pipe made for a 96-98 will fit.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

lol i bet i can beat a 96-98 stock gt in reverse...
Old 03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Since we're all car guys, tell us what you've got.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

hahaha at the word performance and stock 96 GT used in same sentence.

4.30's, and exhaust is a start. then do a PI swap and tune
Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

dont do any mods, its probably hard enough for that beast to put its power to the ground lmao. What do you mean by svt exhaust?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:10 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I'm not familiar with 13 year old collector cars BUT for your exhaust note, a new mid-pipe of the x or h, catted uncatted variety will change the note along with a nice set of headers, check out some youtube videos to decide which notes you like the best
Old 04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
mgraveman

Sorry guys - I forgot about this thread. I need to figure how to turn notification on.

Collector Car might have been the wrong term.

What I meant is that I have a GT with very low miles, and I want to keep the miles low and value up as much as possible. It's in very good shape and I want it to stay that way. It does not get driven much.

I've had a number of antique and collector cars and know that condition is everything. I wouldn't even have considered a modded car when looking for one. I want to keep it original. I also don't want headaches. I specifically didn't get an antique car because I wanted fuel injection - no more carburetors! SO, I don't want to deal with the tinkering of high performance cars either. I'm just looking for a little power. And yes - I'm moderately happy with what I have. My other vehicles are a 2006 GMC dually and a 1994 ford dually. My wife has a town car.

That said, I'd like to find mods that can use what I have to make the most of it without any major change - no engine or trans work. Gears would be easy enough to change. I don't want to do heads or an intake. Exhaust would work as long as I can use the exhaust outlet I have. It was a dealer option. I can't find any pictures of it, but it outlets in front of the back tires.

Here are my questions again -

1) Will a performance X pipe change the exhaust note significantly without changing mufflers and pipes?

2) Are there replacement mufflers that have the front inlet - front outlet like mine that are a direct swap?

3) Will the gears make that much of a difference in torque and off-line performance?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Gears + tune! and for the exhaust, +1 for looking it up on you tube to hear and decide on what you want.... by the way, why not drive the **** out of it? you are going to have to wait like 40 years for the thing to possably be worth somthing. But by then, gas cars will prob be illegal.... just my .02

Quick Reply: Starter mods for collector car?