4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tuning Advice --Cliffy Welcome :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Default Tuning Advice --Cliffy Welcome :)

Ok, here is my issue. I am about to add Bassani Mid-Length Headers and with my mods listed below I think it will be time for a tune. I am pretty convinced that Sniper is the way I am going. Here is the issue. I am aggresively looking for a SuperCharger and when I find a good deal I will pull the trigger, I plan on having it supercharged by the end of next year. So should I just buy the commando or when they do a dyno tune will that not be transferable to the Sniper software? I think I can find a good deal on SF and really didn't want to drop 600+ on commando if I don't have to seeing that the Headers just set me back like 600 and they aren't even installed yet. Thanks All
Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

I don't think the dyno tune will be transferable to the Sniper software, and the Sniper SF should make a good base tune for your blower, but in order to get it dead on you are going to need Commando.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

I don't think you will "NEED" at tune just because you install LT's. If you choose to get tune that's all up to you. Let me know what you think of those mid lenghts.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Will do. I already love my Bassani X and Catback, can't wait to finish the job off.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You first need to decide if you are going to be tuning the car yourself, or paying someone else.

If you have a supercharger installed and in the process "they do a dyno tune", and said dyno tune does not included a tuning device (I.e. "they" just flash a tune and you drive off), then you will be pretty much married to that tuning shop or another using the same system (likely to be SCT unless you find a Delta Force shop).

If you get the dyno tune and a tuning device (so that you might further tweak the tune and/or restore the OEM tune). Then it would be possible to capture the "foreign" custome tune with Commando or Delta Force.

This is a somewhat complex process that requires capturing the foreign tune with the Delta Force Interface (using a bullet), saving that tune to your PC (and renaming and moving it), and then reflashing the foreign tune from the DFI back to the car which gets your bullet back.

You would next use the non-Delta Force tool you cam home from the dyno shop with the flash the OEM tune to that car, and then use the DFI to get the stock tune and recognise you PCM. The "foreign" tune can then be treated as any other Commando tune, modified and reloaded as you wish.

There is a step-by-step process for doing this on the DF Forum (in that case a bit more complicated because the OP had already loaded a Commando tune).

I would have bought Commando before I bought the headers...
Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Ok, that was kind of what I was looking for. I know the tuning shop where I have my work done is Sniper friendly. Here are my concerns. I will most likely not be supercharging until next year, even if I find the hardware this year. The shop I go to has a dyno and if they install my supercharger I would get a dyno tune while I am there. If I brought my Commando software they would basically use my bullet and Commando to do the dyno tune correct? I just want to be able to have the tune in case the shop or the guy go MIA. Also, I realize that I am not getting the most out of my mods with out a tune but do you think at this point with my listed mods I need a tune? Thanks Cliffy!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

well you should already have a tune to correct your speedo from the gears...and if your car is an auto, you would probably feel a good deal from the tune with your shifts and stuff like that. So I would go ahead and get a dyno tune now because it shouldnt be all that expensive for an N/A car to get a tune for it not being all that involved. So go for a tune after you put the headers on.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk

If you get the dyno tune and a tuning device (so that you might further tweak the tune and/or restore the OEM tune). Then it would be possible to capture the "foreign" custome tune with Commando or Delta Force.

This is a somewhat complex process that requires capturing the foreign tune with the Delta Force Interface (using a bullet), saving that tune to your PC (and renaming and moving it), and then reflashing the foreign tune from the DFI back to the car which gets your bullet back.

You would next use the non-Delta Force tool you cam home from the dyno shop with the flash the OEM tune to that car, and then use the DFI to get the stock tune and recognise you PCM. The "foreign" tune can then be treated as any other Commando tune, modified and reloaded as you wish.

There is a step-by-step process for doing this on the DF Forum (in that case a bit more complicated because the OP had already loaded a Commando tune).

I would have bought Commando before I bought the headers...
Cliffy, isn't that theft?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

well you should already have a tune to correct your speedo from the gears...and if your car is an auto, you would probably feel a good deal from the tune with your shifts and stuff like that. So I would go ahead and get a dyno tune now because it shouldnt be all that expensive for an N/A car to get a tune for it not being all that involved. So go for a tune after you put the headers on.
I got a tuner with the car when I bought it. The tuner is a Superchips (not SCT) and I have heard bad things about this tuner. I just used it to correct my speedo seeing that it came with the car no loss for me.

Last edited by ct_white_stang; 03-30-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:41 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, gotcha. So I would definitly get a new tuner and get your car dyno tuned. Just my opinion though.