4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

TRYING TO SUPERCHARGE MY 02 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeremy175
How much would it cost for this kind of setup?
a complete supercharger kit like the kenne bell kits are 5k for our cars, or the vortechs and prochargers a little less but require dyno tune where as the kb it is not recommended.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02BlackMustangGT
Thank you for the help. Also, I got an automatic, you guys dont think if I run 8lb's of boost it wont blow it out? What are some mods I could do to support my motor?
THANKS
You will blow a manual tranny on your year stang way before you blow the auto. Hands down the auto takes more of a beating than the manual.

Contrary to the info you have been given about automatic power loss in this thread, it is BY FAR not as bad as some of these guys try to put it. The 10% power loss that somebody mentioned in this thread is laughable and clearly this guy has never tried taking over-drive off of an auto stang and launched it. No disrespect meant to him but hes flat out wrong.

When deciding on a manual or auto I decided to try both before buying. With both being stock manual does have a slight advantage....thats totally a given due to much more driver choice on shifting. However what most of these guys like to leave out is the fact that when you take Over-Drive and traction control off of the auto and then launch manually out of 1-2-D you take off like a bat out of hell. Now even when you take over-drive and traction control off(will torque your tires down upon slight spin) you're not QUITE as quick as a GOOD manual driver. However, throw a SCT, sniper or diablo tune on your car and your auto will just as fast or faster than manuals because the human element is taken out. I was skeptical at first but after getting my SCT tune on my GT auto I was definitely relieved. The thing shifts like a ****ing champ....it slams into gear hard. I beat the **** out of my auto-tranny every day. I have nothing but exhaust and a tune on my GT and I can break myself totally lose going into 2nd by shifting above 5,000 RPMs. These autos will put the power to the ground without a doubt.

Thumbs down to the auto nay-sayers.

You WILL NOT sacrifice 10% power to the back wheels compared to the manual. NONSENSE. In fact.....this has me so motivated i'm going to make a video tomorrow. And aside from the "O/D OFF" light on my cluster and the fact that it only has 4 gears I bet most of these guys cant tell the difference on the launch.

Last edited by Hangwire; 04-02-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:35 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Nice post my automatic driving friend . I recently picked up an '00 GT Auto and I cant wait to get power to the ground with it! I plan on doing a Mac o/r H and Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back at first and then probably gears and tuner to follow this summer. Auto's really rip when they have the right things done to them. However, I can't quite figure out when it kicks hard and at what speeds and stuff. I know it down shifts pretty hard at like 65 and 25 or something.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 AM
02BlackMustangGT
1st Gear Member

And did I mention I got 109k miles on my car...
Old 04-03-2009, 02:30 AM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02BlackMustangGT
And did I mention I got 109k miles on my car...
Sorry OP, this is bothering me. You mean you HAVE 109k on your car, not GOT.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
You WILL NOT sacrifice 10% power to the back wheels compared to the manual. NONSENSE. In fact.....this has me so motivated i'm going to make a video tomorrow. And aside from the "O/D OFF" light on my cluster and the fact that it only has 4 gears I bet most of these guys cant tell the difference on the launch.
I checked your garage but you've not listed any information about your car. I can't tell if you are supercharged or not. The parasitic loss through an automatic transmission is real. There have been numerous threads on these forum from people who don't understand why they are getting 325-330 rwhp when everyone else is getting 350 rwhp with the same set up. The difference is the transmission. If you put stock Mustangs on a dyno the automatic will come in with lower rwhp numbers. It's 210-215 for automatics and and 230-235 for manual transmissions.

That does not mean automatics are bad. A properly set up automatic on the track is normally faster. They are easier to launch and they don't miss a shift.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I agree 100% that an automatic transmission eats up more power than the manual. Thats a matter of physics you're a fool if you try to deny that :P. However what I am saying is that its NOT a 10% difference, thats getting a little ahead of yourself.

Edit:Found this today while browsing Kenne bell's site. This explains the differences well between manual and automatic. The Parasitic loss is about 6%. http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...hTips_2200.pdf

I apologize about the garage I havent bothered to really set this account up yet becuase of the low amount of posts.

I have a 2003 GT Auto with SCT tune, K&N CAI and MAC catbacks.

Heres a youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DZBM...layer_embedded

Last edited by Hangwire; 04-03-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Alias3800
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
The thing shifts like a ****ing champ....it slams into gear
hahaaa

Yeah, I have to agree with him, it definitely does slam into gear. I just got it dyno tuned and now it's shifting where it needs to - aka like a ****ing champ. I love it.

And 02BlackMustangGT, I'm going down the same route. I'm planning to supercharge in some months and want to know what's conservative and hazardous. I'm still under 90k, so I'm keeping my engine as long as possible before putting in a "built" one, etc.

I suppose I'll add to the inquiries.. Does "building/welding" the bottom end of the stock block (what does that even mean?) help it get through the 400s safely? Is it expensive?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:49 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

forging your bottom end is done b/c the bottom end of your motor cant take the stress of anything over 400rwhp. forging is simply removing the stock parts and replacing them with forged aluminum parts that are much stronger and will take about twice the abuse without flinching. if done right can be done for about 1500 bucks, but i dont think you know what your doing so for you maybe 2k or more to forge your bottom end.

i paid 4k for my vortech kit and never had the first problem with it, but wished i woulda went procharger. prochargers always make more power and have their own oil supply which is nice. KBs are nice as well. but my vote definitely goes to the D1SC

Originally Posted by Alias3800
hahaaa

Yeah, I have to agree with him, it definitely does slam into gear. I just got it dyno tuned and now it's shifting where it needs to - aka like a ****ing champ. I love it.

And 02BlackMustangGT, I'm going down the same route. I'm planning to supercharge in some months and want to know what's conservative and hazardous. I'm still under 90k, so I'm keeping my engine as long as possible before putting in a "built" one, etc.

I suppose I'll add to the inquiries.. Does "building/welding" the bottom end of the stock block (what does that even mean?) help it get through the 400s safely? Is it expensive?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:50 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

you need to make a stall one of the first thing on your list!!!

Originally Posted by freefallin98
Nice post my automatic driving friend . I recently picked up an '00 GT Auto and I cant wait to get power to the ground with it! I plan on doing a Mac o/r H and Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back at first and then probably gears and tuner to follow this summer. Auto's really rip when they have the right things done to them. However, I can't quite figure out when it kicks hard and at what speeds and stuff. I know it down shifts pretty hard at like 65 and 25 or something.