4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cobra Brake Swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Lightbulb Cobra Brake Swap questions

Okay so I know this is posted a-lot however most people go for it all. I just need some personal and hands on advice/opinions for the swap.

Ok Front I know is relatively easy. You need 2 calipers, 13" rotors, Pads, And Stainless Steel brake lines for ****s and giggles. Now I'm fine with that. Although I can't decide which style to get, "Bullitts red with pony or Black with COBRA lettering. I'm thinking the black calipers. Anyhoot.

The rears............ OK so I buy 2 calipers, 2 Rotors, 2 pads, and a mounting kit?? Is it even worth doing the rears? I mean I know the rear upgrade is better, but for the price? Should I just stop being cheap and suck it up and do this one time "investment"? Or just buy gt rotors/pads and powder coat the rear calipers to match? <--Would probably costs near the same to just go with the cobra rears. However if you all could shed some light on this for me I would appreciate it. THANKS!

*Update on the stang. Chrome saleens, Toxico HP, MM c/c plates, and H&R sport springs are sitting in my room waiting to be installed. Putting my 99/01 cobra bumper on tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

installing the rears also will give you a more balanced feel. otherwise your braking system will be biased towards the front. another option is installing a brake proportioning valve, which sends more braking power to where you want it, be it front or back. all of what i said was knowledge learned from my time with miatas, but should apply to most applications.
it seems you've already upgraded the other overlooked parts that add to your brake system's performance, tires and suspension. you should get great results upgrading the brakes themselves. good luck with it all

american muscle sells a front/rear upgrade to cobra brakes for about 1100 total. everything you need including lines i believe
Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

The rear brakes are the same as the GT, the front Calipers I say go with which ones you can afford I actually just ordered this http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr..._id=673cPath=6 thats a killer deal compared to AM's price. All the caliper upgrades are the same except for the 10th anniversary ones they have bigger banjo bolts which cost 12 bucks. hope this helps
Old 04-02-2009, 12:47 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweger
installing the rears also will give you a more balanced feel. otherwise your braking system will be biased towards the front. another option is installing a brake proportioning valve, which sends more braking power to where you want it, be it front or back. all of what i said was knowledge learned from my time with miatas, but should apply to most applications.
it seems you've already upgraded the other overlooked parts that add to your brake system's performance, tires and suspension. you should get great results upgrading the brakes themselves. good luck with it all

american muscle sells a front/rear upgrade to cobra brakes for about 1100 total. everything you need including lines i believe
Most of the breaking is done upfront anyway so you really won't feel much of anything, the rear brakes are mainly for the parking brake.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
Most of the breaking is done upfront anyway so you really won't feel much of anything, the rear brakes are mainly for the parking brake.
not true, but nice info.

Stock brake bias is set at 54% front 46% rear, it's pretty close

Upgrading the fronts shouldn't change much, probably only make a 2% difference in the feel of the bias.

the only way to change brake bias is to change the brake pressure in either the front or rear lines. A proportioning valve changes the rear brake line pressure up to %2000. The size shouldn't change anything, especially considering the pads/pistons are roughly the same size
Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 AM
cobra dreamer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
The rear brakes are the same as the GT, the front Calipers I say go with which ones you can afford I actually just ordered this http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr..._id=673cPath=6 thats a killer deal compared to AM's price. All the caliper upgrades are the same except for the 10th anniversary ones they have bigger banjo bolts which cost 12 bucks. hope this helps
the rears are not the same stock gt rears are 10" rotors
and cobras are 11.65" rotors the calipers are the same and the caliper brackets are diffrent

that being said just do the full brake swap front and rear
Old 04-02-2009, 05:49 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I'm just replacing my fronts with the Cobra kit, paint my rears to match, and call it a day.

Lynn
Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobra dreamer
the rears are not the same stock gt rears are 10" rotors
and cobras are 11.65" rotors the calipers are the same and the caliper brackets are diffrent

that being said just do the full brake swap front and rear
rotor size doesn't effect distribution. It only helps with heat. The rear CALIPERS are the same and so is the distribution of pressure. The pads and rotors are the main movable parts that are different.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
not true, but nice info.

Stock brake bias is set at 54% front 46% rear, it's pretty close

Upgrading the fronts shouldn't change much, probably only make a 2% difference in the feel of the bias.

the only way to change brake bias is to change the brake pressure in either the front or rear lines. A proportioning valve changes the rear brake line pressure up to %2000. The size shouldn't change anything, especially considering the pads/pistons are roughly the same size
Well thats I always have been taught. Touche, learn something new everyday.

Last edited by MineralGrey; 04-02-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
rotor size doesn't effect distribution. It only helps with heat. The rear CALIPERS are the same and so is the distribution of pressure. The pads and rotors are the main movable parts that are different.
Ah! I knew I wasn't going crazy.

Quick Reply: Cobra Brake Swap questions