4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Finally installing pi swap :) (56k watch out)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:57 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Default Finally installing pi swap :) (56k watch out)

This weekend was devoted to the install it was relatively easy besides the header bolts that took up the majority of the time... its all installed but there is a few problems with it. First it leaks coolant, we've narrowed it down to the valley because it collects there and then drips down. The other issue is a rough idle, where the engine shakes quiet a bit, but once i hit the gas a little it stops. I compression tested it and it had really good numbers (200 psi everywhere besides the 3rd cylinder at 185 psi), i heard this was fine if it was under 10% difference which its 7.5%. My buddy said that it might be running lean at idle becuase of the difference in cfm from the npi to ported pi's. I have a sniper tuner, should i lower the ratio at lower rpms only ( i don't have a a/f ratio gauge....) also, i have 87 in there, its almost empty so im going to go fill it with 93 i hope that helps. What do you guys think my idle issues are from?

here's some pictures!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Good for you...

Idle could just be the difference in cfm, decay & compression. Load a premium tune and see if it goes away. Other than that check to make sure you didn't pull apart one of your plug wires. Did you install new plugs as well?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
william_ace
1st Gear Member

cant wait to see how it turns out after the tune
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

ok, fixed the coolant leak, the idle shake.... im about to go put 93 in her and tune it for thatm but i noticed that the harmonic balancer what f**ked up. It was pulled out a little, if you have ever looked at one closely there is an inter pulley and out pulley section, in between there is a rubber gasket. there outer one pulled out a little and what shaking the car a lot...

any one have a stock harmonic balancer for sale?

essh
Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I just tossed mine across the garage...lol If I would have known.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

93 in it and a 93 tune, harmonic balancer sucks, it wobbles bad enough to through it into closed loop mode... but when its not in closed loop it does pull pretty hard. it wobbles hard enough to make the transmission knock btw! As in when its in neutral sitting it will knock, but when i push the clutch in it stops, i need to fix this...

so yea, harmonic balancer for sale anyone?

edit: here is some pictures of the f**ked up harmonic balancer...

see what i mean...

Last edited by stangalator; 04-06-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 AM
william_ace
1st Gear Member

oh nice! you can have mine hahha
Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator
93 in it and a 93 tune, harmonic balancer sucks, it wobbles bad enough to through it into closed loop mode... but when its not in closed loop it does pull pretty hard. it wobbles hard enough to make the transmission knock btw! As in when its in neutral sitting it will knock, but when i push the clutch in it stops, i need to fix this...

so yea, harmonic balancer for sale anyone?

edit: here is some pictures of the f**ked up harmonic balancer...

see what i mean...

Thats pretty bad, I had mine come apart at the track powershifting into forth gear, then I ran it over. Had the inner section still, outer was on the track somewhere. Track personal found me and gave it to me. On the bright side, the next day my steeda crank pulley showed up.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

"STORY TIME BOYS AND GIRLS"

In my old 67 El Camino I had a huge cam in it, so much so that I had to 2 foot it at lights. Way too big for the car now that I think back on it. Well anyway, I was asked to haul around the home coming court for a local High school during there little parade. While in the parade I was slapping it in Neutral and goosing it pretty good. (Can you tell what's coming next?) Well I did it one last time before the end and rapped it up pretty high, the next thing I know there was something like an atomic bomb went off under my hood. My balancer bolt sheered of at 7k RPM and the HB shot up though the other pulleys and dented my hood. I was left embarrassed & broken down on the side of the road as the little high schoolers jumped into someone elses truck to end the parade while laughing at me.

Moral Of the Story:

Sxynerd doesn't do parades and now doesn't reuse old bolts.

Hope you enjoyed story time.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

i heard to stay away from the stock style harmonic balancer, is this true?

Quick Reply: Finally installing pi swap :) (56k watch out)