4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What r the BEST Street Radial u can buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 PM
DVS_Z28
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nbatchler
I think I am with the m/t, because man I have nittos now, but not 555rs and I just blow the tires off when I hit 3500rpms. I try my best to feather it, but no help.
i know how you feel, i have no 1st or 2nd
Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I don't want to burst anyone bubble, but I could still fry MT ET Street Radials from a stop on the street.

Just because a tire is a drag radial, does not mean you won't have to still know how to launch.

Sure the MT's bit better than the continentals I was on, but they weren't a 'cure all' for a lack of driving ability. They have to be heated up to really grab at the track, and especially on the street. (and I think we all agree that it is pretty impractical to think about a big smokey burnout at a stop light before it turns green)

It took me 4 separate trips on those tires to finally get the 1.85 60' that you see in my signature, most of that was driver error, but a lot of it was still learning how to launch and understanding what made the car hook and go instead of hooking and bogging.

If I could do it over, I probably would have saved a little cash and went with some Nitto Drag Radials instead of the MT's ONLY because of the price difference, and I probably still could have ran some 1.9's on Nittos.

****again, I want to say I would have probably choosen Nittos BECAUSE OF PRICE..no grip..MTs rock at the track when used properly****
Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 PM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexplantman
Hmmmm. not quite ... you do ?

back on topic...
On my end, I am going with MT drag radials for the track...

Now for daily driving... what about these nitto's??? I have read so much , I can't remember what's what... but I think I read the nitto's su. ck?? What do they go for? I need new tires for the car now, so I need tires, lol... but not for the track, as I said decision has been made on the m/t's, just the size on them I am puzzled.
Just bumped my ? up Can someone give me some feedback?

I am squared away on the MT DR's for the track... pop them on when I go to the track, take them off when I get home...245 40 17 is what some said, but I thought the original size for my tires was 245-45-17? Difference?

**** The question I still need help on: For the street, I drive in S FL, so no "snow" tires, "all season" , etc.. I do need a tire that will have traction on the hwy in the raind=, and give me some decent mileage (I drive 15K miles / year ) ... Will the Nitto 555 grip off the line on the street? Where in the rpm range are you dumping it at take off so it doesn't loose grip? I am concerned when I start spraying on the street ..

Oh one more question...
... On the Nitto's: These are not considered drag radials, right? I mean the MT DR seem less of a true street tire? And do you run the Nitto's all around on the four wheels or just the back?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:56 PM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

275/40/17 is your m/t size, they're a little wider than factory size and they are the same height 26"......... as far as nitto 555's , they do make a "so-called" drag radial and they also make a 555 "everyday radial"....... NO average "everyday" radial is gonna give you much traction off the line on the street, so if your just lookin for something to ride on every day you might as well get something thats affordable....and ofcourse get your m/t's for the track
Old 04-09-2009, 02:42 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

off topic - i really like your car, CAMDUP. i wish i couldve found blue, so i "settled" for my screaming yellow. beautiful hood/wheels/everything. it all comes together beautifully

on topic - +1 to having a dedicated set of wheels/tires for the track. might not be convinient, but its the best way.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 PM
nbatchler
1st Gear Member

lol to be honest with I put only 12000 miles on my nittos and they were gone, because of no traction. I will be putting down around 440rwhp when I get my intercooler and boosta pump on stock longblock. Therefore I need traction or I might end up in a ditch. I am planning on building a short block soon. Do u think I need to port the heads or will I be able to get 500rwhp without it.?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

My car is only a full bolt on GT minus gears, but I get stupid good traction with my Nittos. You are running 315's aren't you?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:26 AM
fausty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexplantman
Just bumped my ? up Can someone give me some feedback?

I am squared away on the MT DR's for the track... pop them on when I go to the track, take them off when I get home...245 40 17 is what some said, but I thought the original size for my tires was 245-45-17? Difference?

**** The question I still need help on: For the street, I drive in S FL, so no "snow" tires, "all season" , etc.. I do need a tire that will have traction on the hwy in the raind=, and give me some decent mileage (I drive 15K miles / year ) ... Will the Nitto 555 grip off the line on the street? Where in the rpm range are you dumping it at take off so it doesn't loose grip? I am concerned when I start spraying on the street ..

Oh one more question...
... On the Nitto's: These are not considered drag radials, right? I mean the MT DR seem less of a true street tire? And do you run the Nitto's all around on the four wheels or just the back?
If your looking for a decent griiping ,long lasting(longer than mt),cheap drag radial for everyday driving in south florida the nittos dr will do the job. Sure they dont do a great job gripping with 450 hp but on mild application and a little bit of a driver mod you can get them to hook. I like the fact they do well in the rain because you must know that in sflorida it rains alot. My experience with them is they grip good off launch as long as you dont drop the clutch and just spin your *** off.They have decent threadware compared to mt's and bfgs(all depends on your driving habbits). Now i do run a 315 in the rear so i cannt speak for someone who runs stock rims.Whatever drag radial you decide to run, do not put 4 drag radials on all 4 tires. Use w.e tire you want upfront and the dr out back. Nittos 555 upfront with nitto555 dr out back should do a good job for a daily driver.
Once again this is my opinion.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 AM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fausty
If your looking for a decent griiping ,long lasting(longer than mt),cheap drag radial for everyday driving in south florida the nittos dr will do the job. Sure they dont do a great job gripping with 450 hp but on mild application and a little bit of a driver mod you can get them to hook. I like the fact they do well in the rain because you must know that in sflorida it rains alot. My experience with them is they grip good off launch as long as you dont drop the clutch and just spin your *** off.They have decent threadware compared to mt's and bfgs(all depends on your driving habbits). Now i do run a 315 in the rear so i cannt speak for someone who runs stock rims.Whatever drag radial you decide to run, do not put 4 drag radials on all 4 tires. Use w.e tire you want upfront and the dr out back. Nittos 555 upfront with nitto555 dr out back should do a good job for a daily driver.
Once again this is my opinion.
I'll keep that in mind thanks.. i need to order something asap as my rears are kinda bald.

Does anyone have the discount code for american muscle? I am surprised Tirerack doesn't carry them..
Old 04-10-2009, 08:50 AM
fausty
4th Gear Member

PM AMnick to receive the discount code.

Quick Reply: What r the BEST Street Radial u can buy?