4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Road Racing / Time Attack Suspension

Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by teej281
Yeup, that would be you jazzer...except yours is even better with all heim ends right???
The Agent47 has Heim joints, just a bit harder to see them due to angle of pic. The Griggs is also constructed of heavier material so is more stout. Mmmmm.... that makes me think of Guinness and they are not just for breakfast anymore

Jazzer + =

PS. Aereon... Sounds to me like the SLA was running a track set-up spring. My 750# ones are VERY similar to the 300# traditonal CO's I had prior. Could also be the rear springs on the car in which you rode.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

This is a really interesting thread- so it sounds like Blisten shocks/struts with MM Springs are the way to go handling wise?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:27 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Bilstein shocks and struts with coilovers is the way to go.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:43 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

eh.. all you really have to do is call any shock manufac. and have them valve the shocks/struts to your specifications...
Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

But then you have added price to go along with that, right? I dont think that they are going to custom valve shocks and struts for you for the same price.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The Agent47 has Heim joints, just a bit harder to see them due to angle of pic. The Griggs is also constructed of heavier material so is more stout. Mmmmm.... that makes me think of Guinness and they are not just for breakfast anymore

Jazzer + =

PS. Aereon... Sounds to me like the SLA was running a track set-up spring. My 750# ones are VERY similar to the 300# traditonal CO's I had prior. Could also be the rear springs on the car in which you rode.

Most likely, his car just felt soo freaking harsh that I don't think I could have enjoyed it at all on the road. Even though I bought the MM k member setup, I'm still debating the griggs SLA setup.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ agreed

My guess is his car was set up for track use and not DD friendly, as my car is. The trade-off with my car is too much body roll for racing the track, but MUCH nicer on the street. Last time I had my car up at Griggs, John did some work and drove it around. He was unhappy that I had installed an MMRSB, but understood why after he drove it.

If I wanted to REALLY dial my ride in for AX or the track, I would probably go 850#~900# SLA springs and 400# CO's out back. I am 100% unwilling to do this on a DD ride, as it would TOTALLY suck. The problem with going too much ligher SLA springs would be excessive body roll and the effective gains of such a suspension would be lost.

Jazzer
Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Too much to worry about with suspension. Coilovers with tubular k and coilovers out back with adjustable tie rod ends on the IRS with all delrin bushings and im calling it a day. That will out handle most of whats out there that i will run into and will ride awesome and handle awesome on the street.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ agreed

My guess is his car was set up for track use and not DD friendly, as my car is. The trade-off with my car is too much body roll for racing the track, but MUCH nicer on the street. Last time I had my car up at Griggs, John did some work and drove it around. He was unhappy that I had installed an MMRSB, but understood why after he drove it.

If I wanted to REALLY dial my ride in for AX or the track, I would probably go 850#~900# SLA springs and 400# CO's out back. I am 100% unwilling to do this on a DD ride, as it would TOTALLY suck. The problem with going too much ligher SLA springs would be excessive body roll and the effective gains of such a suspension would be lost.

Jazzer
I really wanna get out to an event with you so I can do a ride along, but at the same time I'm worried that if I do, you're gonna end up changing my mind and making me spend more money on suspension lmao=P I had convinced myself that my car is done and will just be doing minor tweaks, just gotta figure out what kinda sways I want atm, can't seem to find any adjustable IRS sways.

Originally Posted by teej281
Too much to worry about with suspension. Coilovers with tubular k and coilovers out back with adjustable tie rod ends on the IRS with all delrin bushings and im calling it a day. That will out handle most of whats out there that i will run into and will ride awesome and handle awesome on the street.
I may have been sensitive but the cobra I sat in with FTBR delrin kit wasn't all that comfortable, which is why I ended up with urethane bushings for the car since it's a DD.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Aereon
I really wanna get out to an event with you so I can do a ride along, but at the same time I'm worried that if I do, you're gonna end up changing my mind and making me spend more money on suspension lmao=P I had convinced myself that my car is done and will just be doing minor tweaks, just gotta figure out what kinda sways I want atm, can't seem to find any adjustable IRS sways..."
The galpal and I are heading up to Santa Rosa next weekend (4/24) for first AX event. PM me if you would like to go as a guest and can ride along for a tip-toe-through-the-twisties

Jazzer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Racing / Time Attack Suspension