4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Painting the Mustang...56k No Way

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 AM
2Slo4u
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by doughboy4.6
you are joking right ? If you want your car to come out nice you'll have to pull the bumpers, scoops, hood and side pull the rockers the door handles the lock out off drivers door pull sail panels moldings antenna is only 3 screws so pull that. Is that small compressor in the back ground what you will be using for the spray gun? If so, it is way to small for that big of a job. Also, I think what sxynerd is trying to tell you is wash the car real good so the is no armor all (silicon) on the car that will cause fish eyes. Also use a good pre cleaner and wipe it dry after you apply. Make sure you don't just prime the bad spots sand them and paint over them in she same day the primer will shrink and you will see a$$holes in the paint. Use a good sealer 1 good wet coat will be fine 3 coats of paint and at least 3 of clear if I was painting outside I would use 4 so I could wet sand 2 coats of clear off. If you don't do all of the stuff listed hear which is not half the stuff you need to do to make a good paint job you should have to took you car to macco for 199$ presidential special

Dude its getting painted satin black, no clear or anything. I'm using MP172 Black Epoxy primer ( no it will not chalk out ) so than when I want to paint it back Laser Red it can just sand it down and start painting. The whole car (wheels tires everything ) was cleaned with Nason wax and grease remover before I even started sanding on it so fish eyes shouldn't be a problem. That compressor was just being used to sand the car, we have a big 60 gallon one mounted to the slab the carport is on. And the carport I'm spraying it under is fully enclosed ( might as well be a garage ) will plastic sheeting covering all the walls, floor, ceiling ect. I have sprayed numerous car in that "booth" and had them come out great, like I said as long as the floor is wet down there is almost no dust.

And I don't know why but it seems like you guys think this is the first time I've painted something before, which it is not, the car is going to be disassembled it was just easier on me to sand everything while it was on the car. Some people on here assume way to much.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2Slo4u
Some people on here assume way to much.
You got that right.

Some neighbors across the street(whom I don't know) just painted a ricer up in a large tent with plastic sheeting and it came out great. For the longest time it was half sanded and primered in their front yard i'm glad they did something with it.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:19 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

sounds like you have the right idea. the "booth" we had in my auto body class in high school, which was just heavy plastic curtains with fans on one end (which was in the middle of the shop area too), was very low end and we had some great paint jobs come out of there. saw one 4 years later too, still looked like it did the way it left the shop.

good luck and keep us updated. love the black primer idea too, btw