4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Finished my KB install with some other mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 AM
StangJunkie04
1st Gear Member

Default Finished my KB install with some other mods

Just finished up the install of my 2.6 KB on my 04 GT, along with that I felt it was time to upgrade the fuel system so I went with a Fore Fuel hat, twin GT pumps,-8 lines, fore fuel rails and upgraded the wiring. I got the car tuned but was unable to make any max power runs due to the boost blowing off a egr tube that I couldn't isolate until I got home. But the car is definately night and day compared to my Vortech setup. Heres some pics of the setup and a few of the car.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0081_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0080_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0088_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0090_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0087_large.jpg
Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Wow that is a really nice looking car you've got there. Did you get the EGR issue squared away and how many # are you planning on running when you do?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

some what are the pros and cons for having either the vortech or KB in your opinion?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:47 AM
StangJunkie04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Wow that is a really nice looking car you've got there. Did you get the EGR issue squared away and how many # are you planning on running when you do?
Yeah I got rubber egr tube hooked up and boy was it a PITA. It is right behind the motor and you can barely fit your hand down there to get at it. I made 17psi after I got that problem fixed. That is all I want to run on 93 octane, later down the road I want to throw on the 20psi pulley and some race gas.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 AM
StangJunkie04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJ03MustangGT
some what are the pros and cons for having either the vortech or KB in your opinion?
Well there is the obvious difference of instant boost and gradual building boost. The vortech started building boost around 3500-4000rpms the kb builds it right off 1500rpm. Then I was having problems with overspinning the vortech to get my desired boost so in turn the IAT's were pretty high. I definately do not regret switching to a KB if I had the money in the beginning I would have started out with a KB. Dont get me wrong though the vortech is a very reliable unit, its just the KB suits my needs a little better.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangJunkie04
Well there is the obvious difference of instant boost and gradual building boost. The vortech started building boost around 3500-4000rpms the kb builds it right off 1500rpm. Then I was having problems with overspinning the vortech to get my desired boost so in turn the IAT's were pretty high. I definately do not regret switching to a KB if I had the money in the beginning I would have started out with a KB. Dont get me wrong though the vortech is a very reliable unit, its just the KB suits my needs a little better.
how much of a power increase was there over the vortech? i bet you gained a lot of torque as well.

but i gotta say you have a nice setup, congrats!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

bad *** man
Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

I hate you............................................... .................................... LOL
Looks awesome!!!! cant wait til i finally upgrade!

So when are you hitting the dyno? cant wait to see this thing in action. Is there anything diff in that kit from the 2.1l kit other than the manifold/blower?
you might not know. just thought i would ask.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:15 AM
StangJunkie04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJ03MustangGT
how much of a power increase was there over the vortech? i bet you gained a lot of torque as well.

but i gotta say you have a nice setup, congrats!
I'll be honest with even though I have not had it on the dyno for a max power run I am not expecting it to make much more peak hp then the vortech. I mainly switched because of the way the power is applied. My vortech made 587rwhp 512tq on race gas spraying the intercooler with nitrous. I can only speculate but on race gas I would think the kb would make round the same hp but definately more tq.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
StangJunkie04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
I hate you............................................... .................................... LOL
Looks awesome!!!! cant wait til i finally upgrade!

So when are you hitting the dyno? cant wait to see this thing in action. Is there anything diff in that kit from the 2.1l kit other than the manifold/blower?
you might not know. just thought i would ask.
Thats about it I think as far as differences. I am unsure if there is any difference in the screw design.

Quick Reply: Finished my KB install with some other mods