4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Do I need o2 sensors and MIL eliminators?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Default Do I need o2 sensors and MIL eliminators?

I just purchased chrome Mac LT's and am going to purchase a Mac o/r mid pipe tonight probably. Do I need o2 sensors and MIL eliminators? If I plan on getting a tuner when I do gears and stuff, that would take care of the MIL's correct? I am kind of confused, but either way, let me know what I need and where the cheapest place to get it (them) would be.

Thanks,
---
Free
Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

The tuner will take care of the o2 sensors, so no you dont need the MIL's. You will need the extensions for the o2 sensors though.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

+1 on the tuner, however depending on where you live and how picky the emissions testing is you may not pass with the rear sensors turned off in the tune...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

So I need o2 EXTENSIONS like the ones found on AM, correct? But will it be ok if I wait a few months before I get a tuner to delete the MILs? All the mils do is produce a check engine light, right? Someone School me on it.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Yes you will need the extensions. You will be fine to wait on the tuner for a couple of months. MIL stands for Malfunction Indicator Light...a.k.a. Check Engine Light. When you see MIL Eliminators, they are talking about a piece that plugs in between the o2 harness and the o2 itself and it fools the computer into thinking that the rear o2 sensors are working. With the tuner, you are turning off the rear o2 sensors completely which will keep the check engine light off and eliminate the use for the MIL eliminators.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Without the tuner or the MIL elims, your check engine light WILL come on. This will not hurt the performance of your car in any way, it will become quite annoying to look at when its dark out though.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

SO your saying that the 02 extensions are golden until I get the tuner...eh? Anyone know the cheapest place to buy them?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by freefallin98
SO your saying that the 02 extensions are golden until I get the tuner...eh? Anyone know the cheapest place to buy them?
Not exactly sure what you mean here.....

You are going to get a check engine light if you dont have MIL elims or a tuner. The extensions are a must because the stock harness will not reach all the way back to the bung on the headers. The extensions are for the front o2 sensors and they have to be hooked up, if those 2 sensors are left unhooked they will affect the performance of you car majorly. They are the ones that help the computer determine the proper air/fuel ratio among other things.

Last edited by black35th; 04-21-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

OK, in simpler terms for you: The car will not run funny because of no MIL eliminators, correct? The only necessity are the extensions, correct? I can live with the check engine light. I had one on my '98 forever until my brother threw his tuner on and took it off lol.

On another note, I cannot wait to get my full exhaust. How much rwhp can I expect? I am thinking like 15 to the ground? I should definitely be able to feel a pretty good difference though. Im stoked.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by freefallin98
OK, in simpler terms for you: The car will not run funny because of no MIL eliminators, correct? The only necessity are the extensions, correct? I can live with the check engine light. I had one on my '98 forever until my brother threw his tuner on and took it off lol.

On another note, I cannot wait to get my full exhaust. How much rwhp can I expect? I am thinking like 15 to the ground? I should definitely be able to feel a pretty good difference though. Im stoked.
Correct and correct lol

I would say probably about 10 to the wheels untuned, go get a tune and you should pick up 15-20 overall.....you'll defiantly feel it.

Quick Reply: Do I need o2 sensors and MIL eliminators?