4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

why cant i hit 12s =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

maybe you should re-watch your own video. at the beginning it clearly says that your having problems due to the cold track. any idiot knows that a cold track will cause tire spin. maybe the track wasnt prepped properly? i also noticed other cars spinning profusely. maybe the problem is the track and not the tires? might be a clue

lets not get childish now, the whole point of making that statement was to prove that they are used by faster cars b/c they work!!! why dont you go tell all the guys at the track using slicks not to use them anymore b/c slower cars use nittos so that makes them better than slicks!

Originally Posted by 01GT4.6
I take it that you didn't watch the video? If so you would have seen that I left black marks about 50' down the track. My best 60' to date on the M/T's was a 1.63. Sure most cars under 12.0 will have M/T instead of nittos, I guess with that statement you recommended the MT to the OP b/c you feel his current setup is good for a 12.0 or better?
I've had trouble hooking at 5k on the slicks, so maybe it is rocket science. Part of the problem is that my slicks are a little older (3yrs old, about 15 passes) but when brand new, 1.63 was all I got.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJ03MustangGT
maybe you should re-watch your own video. at the beginning it clearly says that your having problems due to the cold track. any idiot knows that a cold track will cause tire spin. maybe the track wasnt prepped properly? i also noticed other cars spinning profusely. maybe the problem is the track and not the tires? might be a clue

lets not get childish now, the whole point of making that statement was to prove that they are used by faster cars b/c they work!!! why dont you go tell all the guys at the track using slicks not to use them anymore b/c slower cars use nittos so that makes them better than slicks!
ok, this will be my last comment b/c we already hijacked this thread, hopefully it can get back on track. Yes the track was cold and may or may not have been prepped well, but as I said my friend dead hooked on nittos. A few other guys on nittos had great success that day, plenty of guys on slicks were all over the place. Clearly nitto was the better tire at that cold track. Yes MTs do hook better, but at the OPs power level & considering the nitto is a better "street" tire for rain, etc. He'd probably be fine with a nitto. But what do I know?

Plus I like a debate sometimes b/c I feel like it's a good way to get some info out, which we both did.

Now lets get this thread back on track.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

i agree, nothing wrong with a good debate from time to time.

aight back on track, sorry bout the hijack

Originally Posted by 01GT4.6
ok, this will be my last comment b/c we already hijacked this thread, hopefully it can get back on track. Yes the track was cold and may or may not have been prepped well, but as I said my friend dead hooked on nittos. A few other guys on nittos had great success that day, plenty of guys on slicks were all over the place. Clearly nitto was the better tire at that cold track. Yes MTs do hook better, but at the OPs power level & considering the nitto is a better "street" tire for rain, etc. He'd probably be fine with a nitto. But what do I know?

Plus I like a debate sometimes b/c I feel like it's a good way to get some info out, which we both did.

Now lets get this thread back on track.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:59 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

nope im adding my 2 cents lol

1. m/t's do hook better then nittos, or bfg's, havent ran hoosier DRs yet so i cant say about them.

2. its fun launching at 5500rpm yes, but i gotta tell you, i get a better 60ft launching at about 3500-4000 on the bottle.

3. if the car feels slower on the big end, add 1 or 2 psi itll make a world of differance.

4. bias ply tires get that scary sway to them... which is why i stick w. Drag radials

5. ill teach ya how to drive? lol i kid i kid.

6. back on topic, if OP gets lca's and M/T DRs... maybe adjustable struts up front(strange 10 ways, good for handling and launching) hell do it, if he can drive
Old 04-27-2009, 12:36 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

i cut a 1.857 60' on stock suspension..

lol..

and since it has NOTHING to do with this thread, I won't bother telling you what tires I was on....

and again, since it has nothing to do with this thread, I'll also admit that while it's not world record, it's very respectable.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

and 01gt4.6.... looks like your suspension is unloading...