4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Rebuilding TR3650?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:16 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Default Rebuilding TR3650?

I have at least a bad 3rd gear synch and input shaft bearing in my trans. A mechanic buddy and I were considering rebuilding it. Has anyone ever attempted rebuilding this trans before, or should I just try and find a reman?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

find a used one for like 300 bucks and swap it in
Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I've been trying, they've been a bit rougher to find than I expected. But I also don't want to find a used one and find out that its got the same problems I'm already dealing with.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

02 GT's are the worst for these transmissions. I would just say time for an upgrade to a tko or something like that if you can put the money together to do so because, from your mods, it looks like you are drag racing and you are probably past the torque limit for the trans. So just upgrade while you have the chance.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

op, i would for sure not buy a used trans, for the reason you stated. i rebuilt mine, and it was a big job. but when i was done i knew it was done right. the only other risk free option is to go with a reman.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

that still isnt risk free.... stock trans really arent that great especially if the car is being driven hard... for the couple hundred it is going to cost him to rebuild, he could be putting that money towards a trans that is going to last.... try to find a used tko or spend the money and snag a new one...i would not reccomend paying all the money out for a rebuild or reman.... my buddy spent $1700 having his t45 rebuilt, a tko is only a couple hundred more...even if you pick up a reman on ebay, assuming you can pick it up and not have it shipped, that is still $600 or so that could be put towards a tko

if its your DD and you cant afford a TKO, thats one thing...but if this is a toy car, i would spend the money and do it right... nothing wrong with a broken car sitting in the garage as long as you have plans for it...my car has been broken and sitting in my garage more times than its been running in the 2 years ive owned it... (including right now...t45 ftl)....do it right the first time and you will not have to do it again

im kicking myself hard for putting stock spider gears back in my car after i blew the rear end...i should bought a 31 spline eaton and some 31 spline axles while i had it apart... but **** happens i suppose

disclaimer: just because i said stock trans arent that great, doesnt mean people havent had goodluck with them....so dont post links to a 4 second 2v that does 300mph in the 1/8mile that is running a stock 5 speed....its actually pretty stupid i even had to post this, but some of you ****ers seem to have it out for me when it comes to this ****

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 04-28-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i'm in the same predicament right now, my 3rd gear grinds and grates almost all the time
Old 04-28-2009, 02:21 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
if its your DD and you cant afford a TKO, thats one thing...but if this is a toy car, i would spend the money and do it right... nothing wrong with a broken car sitting in the garage as long as you have plans for it...my car has been broken and sitting in my garage more times than its been running in the 2 years ive owned it... (including right now...t45 ftl)....do it right the first time and you will not have to do it again
This would be my problem. It is my DD, and what I really want in the long run is a Liberty built T56, but I can't afford to spend $3500+ on a trans right now. But that's also why I'm considering rebuilding this trans myself. I hate doing things twice, but I don't want to risk the input shaft bearing becoming a real problem. I'm looking for a way to fix this without sinking a ton of money into it.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
This would be my problem. It is my DD, and what I really want in the long run is a Liberty built T56, but I can't afford to spend $3500+ on a trans right now. But that's also why I'm considering rebuilding this trans myself. I hate doing things twice, but I don't want to risk the input shaft bearing becoming a real problem. I'm looking for a way to fix this without sinking a ton of money into it.
i would say pick up a low mile used one and toss it in...they can be had for about $300 bucks...or a reman. for $500ish

then start saving for a better trans, or if youre good at building trans (since you said you can do the rebuild yourself) start building a trans for it...or put a used one in and start building a bullet proof trans outta your old one as a project
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

New tremec 3650 is only 1200 bucks.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding TR3650?