MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   power shifting! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/534354-power-shifting.html)

Bman2000 04-27-2009 09:51 PM

power shifting!

everyone has their own idea of power shifting. i was wondering if anyone would like to know my take on grip, i only bring it up because ive heard of people blowing up trannys when they miss shift, and i had a bad miss shift but because of the way i grip the shifter i only did minor dmg, still perminent but better than having no gear.. Plus i wouldnt mind hearing peoples ways of power shifting in general. Let me know :)

JayC 04-27-2009 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bman2000 (Post 6153777)
everyone has their own idea of power shifting. i was wondering if anyone would like to know my take on grip, i only bring it up because ive heard of people blowing up trannys when they miss shift, and i had a bad miss shift but because of the way i grip the shifter i only did minor dmg, still perminent but better than having no gear.. Plus i wouldnt mind hearing peoples ways of power shifting in general. Let me know :)

Let's have it.

2000AZ5.0GT 04-27-2009 10:18 PM

Preload trans, put pressure on the shifter in the way you intend to shift.

No powershifting though, bad for the tranny. Fast shifting is okay, but yeah no, I'm not trashing my expensive trans.

01MGGT 04-27-2009 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT (Post 6153865)
Preload trans, put pressure on the shifter in the way you intend to shift.

No powershifting though, bad for the tranny. Fast shifting is okay, but yeah no, I'm not trashing my expensive trans.

Word....these things are known to break with normal fast shifting or jsut not having shift stops adjusted right...i'll pass heh

Bman2000 04-27-2009 10:41 PM

i am curious as to how all you fast cars shift...then again you all got lots o power so you may not really care much about fast just about accurate. since the grip is kinda hard for me to explain ill have to take some pictures tomarrow or somthing, who knows i may hold it the same way as everyone else. Just wanted to talk about somthing lol. Anywho, im not sure if what i do is total power shifting either. Basically, i preload the shifter right on the edge of poping out so that as soon as i start to put the clutch in, usually about the same time i hit the throw out bearing(whats that like an 1 1/2? on the pedal?) the tranny is out of gear heading towards second and of course by the time i get the clutch to the bottom its already in gear and clutch is coming out, but as for the throttle, i dont leave my foot floored, i usually take my foot about half throttle as im shifting and ease it back to the floor as im taking the clutch out. Make sense? anywho thats my way of shifting, i practice on the street alot, which usually leads to some low rpm 2nd gear squirlyness hehe but only with the 1 2 shift, the 2 3 isnt usually as violent.

dimebag 04-27-2009 11:17 PM

i preload it, kick the clutch, literally in and out, no hesitation... damn foot comes up before the pedal sometimes... and pull the **** outa the 1/2 shift... and palm the 2.3 shift right towards the foglight button. i havent seen anybody shift as fast as i do, lol... whitefox can back that up

Bman2000 04-27-2009 11:23 PM

i palm the 2 3 shift to!!! i dont kick the clutch tho, to afriad but it is a pretty fast stab...and i must be doing somthing right to run a 13.39 with what i got lol. what mods you got besides the nos? and i assume the 1.6 is with the nos outta the box?

2000AZ5.0GT 04-27-2009 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by dimebag (Post 6154057)
i preload it, kick the clutch, literally in and out, no hesitation... damn foot comes up before the pedal sometimes... and pull the **** outa the 1/2 shift... and palm the 2.3 shift right towards the foglight button. i havent seen anybody shift as fast as i do, lol... whitefox can back that up

start hanging out with guys that race around a road course professionally, and you'll see some incredible shifting, and they make it look like it isn't anything.

sounds pretty violent when you do it, are you running a short throw?

Anyway, this one guy I used to race against would blow your mind, he shifted his vette like he had a spare trans sitting in the trailor.

Bman2000 04-27-2009 11:29 PM

honestly i cant wait for a new tranny mine was kinda screwed up before i got it, and i only made it worse, i got an mgw, but it doesnt shift smooth because the trannys toast, still shifts but when i went on sat and posted my new best time, the 1 2 shift kinda feels like im yanking a 5 pound weight.

dimebag 04-28-2009 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT (Post 6154076)
start hanging out with guys that race around a road course professionally, and you'll see some incredible shifting, and they make it look like it isn't anything.

sounds pretty violent when you do it, are you running a short throw?

Anyway, this one guy I used to race against would blow your mind, he shifted his vette like he had a spare trans sitting in the trailor.

we build a 347 for a guys 69mustang, it was a road race car, and he is apperantly one of the better ppl in the area. anyway yea i took a ride in it with him... and holy ****...incredible is a word for it.