4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Reasonable price for 99-04 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Sizeth3
1st Gear Member

Default Reasonable price for 99-04 GT

I am curious what is a reasonable price for a 99-04 GT? I have been looking, I have seen then as low as $7k and at dealerships upwards of $12k.

I want a GT with under 100k miles for $8-9k, is this reasonable? What are some things to watch out for when looking at used GTs in these years?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

sounds reasonable to me....
Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I would urge low mileage.

Low mileage..people argue that cars can still be beaten up with low mileage, but there's usually going to be less abuse, and obviously less time for the abusing to have taken place.

I would not pay more than 10 for a '99-02 GT with any mileage above 40-50K......and I'd probably stay under 12,000 if possible for an '03-;04 GT....

the second part might be harder to do, but you should be able to find a good mileage 99-01 GT for under 10K...

Seriously, I know our cars are not Blue booking ANY-FREAKING-WHERE NEAR that...

I paid 9500 for my '99 GT with 48K more than 4 years ago. No way you should be paying 10K for a 80K+ mile GT
Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sizeth3
I am curious what is a reasonable price for a 99-04 GT? I have been looking, I have seen then as low as $7k and at dealerships upwards of $12k.

I want a GT with under 100k miles for $8-9k, is this reasonable? What are some things to watch out for when looking at used GTs in these years?

Thanks!
This March I purchased a 2000 GT with 88k on it for $7k. It was in great shape and the previous owners never raced it(one was an old man and the other was the mechanic at the dealer). I could have gotten one cheaper with similar mileage, but the others I looked at seemed to be beat on more.
One thing I did was actually let the private party guys I checked out drive the car around to show me it. One guy drove like a madman and told me it was inspected so I would be good to go(turned out it was...2 years ago).
You can get a pretty good idea how a car was maintained by looking at it thoroughly, and asking open ended questions to the owner. Just my $.02.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I bought a 2003 GT coupe AUTO with 53,700mi for $12,000 out the door(taxes + tags) in September of 2008. Heres its current KBB(NADA values are always lower, and more "true"). When I showed up to the lot it was listed $1,000 more than what the internet said.

Salesman told me "they just do that to get you to look at it." I said oh I see well thats really really pushing my budget thats right on my limit. So he then agrees to let me take a test drive.....so we get in the car and start driving and I say that i'm about $3,000 short of your price goal. He says "I thought you said that price was right on your limit." I said "Nope.....I just said that to get you to let me drive it." He goes......."oh well nice meeting you!" We both chuckled.....me knowing what game he was playing and he knowing what one I was playing too My point is.....**** the price they list.....thats a joke and you should always aim for no less than $2,000 off of sticker price for a car in this price range. If you're a bull****ter you can get the deal you want. Even after I tried to walk out of this place 3 times and finally talked him down to $12,000 he was smiling ear to ear after I signed the papers. Trust me, they're making PLENTY of money.

Thats a very reasonable price range, in fact you should accept no more than the low range from what you mentioned.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
I bought a 2003 GT coupe AUTO with 53,700mi for $12,000 out the door(taxes + tags) in September of 2008. Heres its current KBB(NADA values are always lower, and more "true"). When I showed up to the lot it was listed $1,000 more than what the internet said.

Salesman told me "they just do that to get you to look at it." I said oh I see well thats really really pushing my budget thats right on my limit. So he then agrees to let me take a test drive.....so we get in the car and start driving and I say that i'm about $3,000 short of your price goal. He says "I thought you said that price was right on your limit." I said "Nope.....I just said that to get you to let me drive it." He goes......."oh well nice meeting you!" We both chuckled.....me knowing what game he was playing and he knowing what one I was playing too My point is.....**** the price they list.....thats a joke and you should always aim for no less than $2,000 off of sticker price for a car in this price range. If you're a bull****ter you can get the deal you want. Even after I tried to walk out of this place 3 times and finally talked him down to $12,000 he was smiling ear to ear after I signed the papers. Trust me, they're making PLENTY of money.

Thats a very reasonable price range, in fact you should accept no more than the low range from what you mentioned.
I went to pick up a 2002 GT with 90k on it listed at $7500 and when I offered $6k the guys let out this huge sigh. It turned out that was their "after downpayent" price. They then proceeded to tell me that that price was after a $2750 downpayment. Now I knew they wouldn't take 6k, but I figured I could get it for under $6500-7000. It was a trade in so I know they probably paid about $5500 for it. They wouldn't budge so I went with another GT. Interesting pricing strategy. I hadn't come across that one before but now I know to check every last line of print...
Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ValeTudo
I went to pick up a 2002 GT with 90k on it listed at $7500 and when I offered $6k the guys let out this huge sigh. It turned out that was their "after downpayent" price. They then proceeded to tell me that that price was after a $2750 downpayment. Now I knew they wouldn't take 6k, but I figured I could get it for under $6500-7000. It was a trade in so I know they probably paid about $5500 for it. They wouldn't budge so I went with another GT. Interesting pricing strategy. I hadn't come across that one before but now I know to check every last line of print...
ROFL thats a new one for me too. I laughed so hard in my head when he told me "oh well thats just to get your attention." And thats why I then told him a complete lie the next thing I said.....I just insinuated I had the money and it wasnt a big deal...but I didnt aint I a stinker?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Check ebay for the average market prices for what your looking for. You could get a 03 04 mach 1 for 12k

i got my 03 gt with 75k in 4/08 for 9700
Old 04-28-2009, 06:25 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
ROFL thats a new one for me too. I laughed so hard in my head when he told me "oh well thats just to get your attention." And thats why I then told him a complete lie the next thing I said.....I just insinuated I had the money and it wasnt a big deal...but I didnt aint I a stinker?
Yeah, it always entertaining to see what they try to pull. When the guy showed me the fine print it literally looked alot like "power steering, power brakes, cd player, price after $2750 payment, tinted windows, leather..."
It was just mixed right in there.

Another good one is went I bought my Camaro about 6 years ago. It was listed at $7200. First off the guy kept telling me how a Z28 and an Impala on the lot had "the corevette engine and corvette tires" (any used saleman will drop that line about all lt1 cars, no clue where the part about the tires comes from, though). I offered $5k for the car and he wasn't thrilled. He then made his "call" to the boss to see what he could do, and I ended up getting it for $5400. Not to shabby considering that was 25% of his entire asking price I got discounted I'm in sales so I know much lowballing sucks, but when you are on the buyers side it is just part of business.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:55 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

i paid 12,900 for my 03 GT whic had 30k miles and was in perfect condition, but that was also 2.5 years ago. if you are patient and search you should be able to find a good deal. i wouldnt pay more than 10k tho, unless it were a cobra or mach

Quick Reply: Reasonable price for 99-04 GT