4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

rear end options

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:11 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
lol this car is just a toy... first pass at the track after the motor is broken in, im giving it hell

if it breaks, it breaks...i got AAA
I like your style sir.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:41 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

i've got 31 spline mosers, 8 clutch 31 spline diff, stock 3.27s. switchin to a spool when i break this diff. if i were you i would go with some 33 splines, and e locker, c-clip eliminators, weld the tubes (maybe add some bracing as well), girdle.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:44 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

im really trying to avoid a locker...is there an LSD that can hold up? this is gonna be a street car

if im going with 33 spline, im gonna go all out and do 35s with a 9"
Old 04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
im really trying to avoid a locker...is there an LSD that can hold up? this is gonna be a street car

if im going with 33 spline, im gonna go all out and do 35s with a 9"
you know the e locker acts as an lsd with the switch off rite? with that much torque its gonna be cheaper to build it rite the first time than building it once and fixing it as it breaks everytime. i don't see much point in going to a 9 inch when there are radial guys running 8s with 8.8 setups, im sure you don't have those kinds of goals?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by livefast1
you know the e locker acts as an lsd with the switch off rite? with that much torque its gonna be cheaper to build it rite the first time than building it once and fixing it as it breaks everytime. i don't see much point in going to a 9 inch when there are radial guys running 8s with 8.8 setups, im sure you don't have those kinds of goals?
eventual goals are 9s....not anytime soon, but thats what im working for... after the swap is done im going to start building an a460 into a 557 with john kaase heads and a big single

and sorry guess i overlooked the electronic part of the locker you said.... ide like an LSD that can hold with all that power, but an e locker seems like it would work best...hadnt heard of those for mustangs, only seen them on trucks...but i guess its the same thing really since its all a 9"

reason behind swapping would be that i can do it for a few hundred more if i price it right, and i would feel safer with it

35 spline housing and axles i can pick up for $700...add in the gears and a diff and it wont be much more
Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

if your going for nines just make sure you spend the dough on a strong braced housing. i've heard of a lot of guys having problems sealing 9 inchers because of flex. i just figured it would be easier to keep your housing, weld the tubes and add 20 bux worth of steel tubing for bracing instead of budgeting in a new 9 inch housing, but i guess it would make setting up the gears easier and you also have the option of having a spare pumpkin if it ever breaks as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:06 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

if your going for nines just make sure you spend the dough on a strong braced housing. i've heard of a lot of guys having problems sealing 9 inchers because of flex. i just figured it would be easier to keep your housing, weld the tubes and add 20 bux worth of steel tubing for bracing instead of budgeting in a new 9 inch housing, but i guess it would make setting up the gears easier and you also have the option of having a spare pumpkin if it ever breaks as well.
im not counting out the 8.8 yet, thats why i made this thread...ive seen cars running 8-10 second passes on an 8.8 and been fine

trying to figure out what is going to be my best path to take...im not really worried about budget because im in no hurry...that 1k i tossed out there at the beginning isnt solid, ide spend triple that if its needed...just trying to weigh options here ***but i dont want to spend 5 grand on rear end lol...im not loaded***

would i get the same strength if i welded the tubes and added some braces to the 8.8?

and do they make 35 spline stuff for an 8.8 or is 33 going to be ok?

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 04-30-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:12 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

a braced/ welded tube 8.8 with a girdle should be just as strong as a 9 inch the only advantage strength wise at that point is obviously ring gear size, pinion support and larger axle bearings (if you even want to count that one). i would go with strange 33 spline axles (think i have seen 35 spliners and thats what i would go with but not positive). and like said if theres radial guys runnin 8s with 8.8 setups then they can't be that bad lol.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

a braced/ welded tube 8.8 with a girdle should be just as strong as a 9 inch the only advantage strength wise at that point is obviously ring gear size, pinion support and larger axle bearings (if you even want to count that one). i would go with strange 33 spline axles (think i have seen 35 spliners and thats what i would go with but not positive). and like said if theres radial guys runnin 8s with 8.8 setups then they can't be that bad lol.
ok so strange 33 or 35

now what about diffs?

wanna educate me on e lockers? ive only heard of e and air lockers on rock crawlers and stuff.... would i be better with a spool, or lsd, or e locker, air locker, etc?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

ok i found 33 spline stuff thats custom order from jegs...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Strange+Engine...00FM/10002/-1#

in the desc. it says

# Pro Race 33-Spline Axle PackageFits with 8.8" Ford housing ends.
# Incl Spool, C-clip elim's & 1/2" wheel studs
# Special order item. Please use the Custom Axle Order Form or call customer care for ordering info
1-800-345-4545

so it includes a carrier or am i missing something?

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 04-30-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: rear end options