4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

rear end options

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
ok so strange 33 or 35

now what about diffs?

wanna educate me on e lockers? ive only heard of e and air lockers on rock crawlers and stuff.... would i be better with a spool, or lsd, or e locker, air locker, etc?
if i was gonna build a rear to go 9s and was my daily driver or did ALOT of street driving i would go 35 spline stranges if they make them, e locker, c clip elims, weld the tubes, brace the axles with some roll bar tubing, girdle, gonna have to upgrade to some stronger material gears. if it doesn't see as much street duty cant beat a spool. the e locker basically is has a field coil from my understanding, when you flick the switch the mechanism inside the diff locks the axles together and when switched off it unlocks them and acts as an lsd. with the option of an e locker i don't see the point of an air locker as you don't need the air supply with an e locker.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

ok i found 33 spline stuff thats custom order from jegs...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Strange+Engine...00FM/10002/-1#

in the desc. it says

# Pro Race 33-Spline Axle PackageFits with 8.8" Ford housing ends.
# Incl Spool, C-clip elim's & 1/2" wheel studs
# Special order item. Please use the Custom Axle Order Form or call customer care for ordering info
1-800-345-4545

so it includes a carrier or am i missing something?
it says it includes a spool so thats the carrier. i assume you would have to have 9 inch bearing ends welded on now to run 35 spline axles but i think you would be fine with 33 splines.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by livefast1
if i was gonna build a rear to go 9s and was my daily driver or did ALOT of street driving i would go 35 spline stranges if they make them, e locker, c clip elims, weld the tubes, brace the axles with some roll bar tubing, girdle, gonna have to upgrade to some stronger material gears. if it doesn't see as much street duty cant beat a spool. the e locker basically is has a field coil from my understanding, when you flick the switch the mechanism inside the diff locks the axles together and when switched off it unlocks them and acts as an lsd. with the option of an e locker i don't see the point of an air locker as you don't need the air supply with an e locker.
ok well it wont be a DD, and will only see streets on the weekends... so im thinking i may go with a spool.... theres a custom axle form for strange, they make 35 splines so maybe i can call them and get 35 splines for an 8.8 priced out and see if thats something they can do...i know they do 33 splines
Old 04-30-2009, 07:28 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

it says it includes a spool so thats the carrier. i assume you would have to have 9 inch bearing ends welded on now to run 35 spline axles but i think you would be fine with 33 splines.
seems like 33 splines with the spool is the best thing to go with....so i would want that axle package i just linked to you with the carrier, then just get a girdle and reinforce the housing?

what about gears...you said i would need a stronger material...ive never seen the option of one material over another...
Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

seems like 33 splines with the spool is the best thing to go with....so i would want that axle package i just linked to you with the carrier, then just get a girdle and reinforce the housing?
that should be a pretty strong setup. like i said you can't beat a spool for strength.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:35 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

that should be a pretty strong setup. like i said you can't beat a spool for strength.
which girdle?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/gms-79...le-system.html

http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford+Racing/39...33-G1/10002/-1

and are you sure that axle package has axles and a carrier? i feel like im reading it wrong... because $650 or whatever is cheaper than getting the 31 spline moser axles and the eaton setup...i feel like $650 is too cheap to be the axles and carrier
Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

i wouldn't let gms wash my socks, so the ford racing one. i would also consider the one jegs offers as well i believe its like an ultimate girdle or something, comes with weld on tabs for the axle tubes and you run a piece of tubing from the cover to the tubes to brace the backside of the tubes to the pumpkin. then run some rollbar tubing from the front of the tubes to where the dogbone bolts in place and you should be all set bracing wise (you want to eliminate the tires from walking away from the pumpkin on launch).
Old 04-30-2009, 07:42 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i wouldn't let gms wash my socks, so the ford racing one. i would also consider the one jegs offers as well i believe its like an ultimate girdle or something, comes with weld on tabs for the axle tubes and you run a piece of tubing from the cover to the tubes to brace the backside of the tubes to the pumpkin. then run some rollbar tubing from the front of the tubes to where the dogbone bolts in place and you should be all set bracing wise (you want to eliminate the tires from walking away from the pumpkin on launch).
link?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10671_-1_10149

all they show cover wise is a chrome one...

and you sure about that axle package? why is it so cheap?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

ok...this one?

http://www.jegs.com/i/L.P.W./619/101-8.8/10002/-1

with this?

http://www.jegs.com/p/L.P.W./744457/10002/-1
Old 04-30-2009, 07:48 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...11341_-1_10049

my bad its the lpw stuff, the cover and the tie bar kit above it. i would feel more comfortable with a set of strange 33 spline axles compared to the ones in that kit but that would be your call.

Quick Reply: rear end options