MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   rear end options (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/534957-rear-end-options.html)

99BlackPonyGT 04-30-2009 01:21 PM

rear end options

too lazy to search...oh well, shoot me

i want to build up the rear end of my car, but im looking to spend only about a grand or so

what should i go with?

im debating throwing 31 spline stuff in my 8.8, but which diff?

also tossing around the idea of a 9"...i priced it out before and it wasnt much more than a grand... if i buy all the parts separately that is

i want a rear end that is going to hold up to 700ft-lbs of tq launching at 3200rpm with slicks (foot brake and trans brake....i dont have a trans that can hold that abuse yet *trans brake*, but i dont want to build the rear end twice)...and its gonna be an Auto car, not stick

what are my options here? is 1k a feasable amount for this or am i definately looking at more?

99BlackPonyGT 04-30-2009 01:43 PM

will this be ok? if not, about how much power should i expect to be able to hold with this setup?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...90/rearend.jpg

amoosenamedhank 04-30-2009 01:49 PM

Kinda like I posted in the other thread... I think you can get away with the Ford Racing Diff and save yourself big money... otherwise I guess the rest looks good... Do you already have a gear? If not, www.buyfordracing.com is definitely the cheapest I've seen. And my parts showed up 2 days later.

You're probably going to want to weld your axle tubes and I've heard things about replacing the crush sleeve with a solid machine part too.

99BlackPonyGT 04-30-2009 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank (Post 6162048)
Kinda like I posted in the other thread... I think you can get away with the Ford Racing Diff and save yourself big money... otherwise I guess the rest looks good... Do you already have a gear? If not, www.buyfordracing.com is definitely the cheapest I've seen. And my parts showed up 2 days later.

well the frpp diff comes without the spider gears...it says it right in the add...unless thats not what they meant by gears, but im assuming it is because what rear diff comes with ring and pinion gears??... so i would have to order new spider gears for the 31 spline diff

im not impressed with ford stuff, i just shredded some spider gears in the 28 spline 8.8, and it was like $160ish to replace them... so add 160 onto that 299 or whatever for the ford diff because i would need gears...its not cheaper at all

and what do you mean by gear? ring and pinion? ive got my 3.73s that im not going to replace until they get shredded...they are in good condition

Is your stock 28 spline rear end leaving you stuck? Then you need to upgrade to a Ford Racing 8.8" 31 Spline Traction-LOK Limited Slip Differential from AmericanMuscle. A Limited Slip Differential sometimes referred to as a "Posi" will allow both rear wheels to put the power down on the pavement giving you better traction and more impressive burnouts. The Ford Racing 8.8" Limited Slip Differential unit uses heavy plate-style clutches and is designed for use with after market 31 spline axles for 8.8" V8 Mustang. Great for the street or strip driving this differential will accept the anti-lock brake exciter ring found on most late model V8 Mustangs.

Specifications:

* 8.8" Limited Slip Differential
* Requires 31 spline axles
* Will accept anti-lock exciter ring
* Requires 4 ounces of CM-19546-A1 friction modifier with initial fill
* Gears Not included

amoosenamedhank 04-30-2009 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT (Post 6162075)
well the frpp diff comes without the spider gears...it says it right in the add...unless thats not what they meant by gears, but im assuming it is because what rear diff comes with ring and pinion gears??... so i would have to order new spider gears for the 31 spline diff

im not impressed with ford stuff, i just shredded some spider gears in the 28 spline 8.8, and it was like $160ish to replace them... so add 160 onto that 299 or whatever for the ford diff because i would need gears...its not cheaper at all

and what do you mean by gear? ring and pinion? ive got my 3.73s that im not going to replace until they get shredded...they are in good condition

I was referring to ring and pinion gear... but are you sure the FRPP add isn't referring to the ring and pinion gear as well, when it says "gears not included". I just think it would be really strange if the Diff didn't come with spider gears.

99BlackPonyGT 04-30-2009 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank (Post 6162103)
I was referring to ring and pinion gear... but are you sure the FRPP add isn't referring to the ring and pinion gear as well, when it says "gears not included".

no im not sure...but the ad for the eaton on the same site doesnt say that...and why would the ad mention ring and pinion? they dont go inside the diff so it would be pointless and confusing to even mention them at all...

now im confused

black35th 04-30-2009 02:07 PM

I'm pretty sure the FRPP unit comes with spider gears. They are referring to the ring and pinion in that add.

99BlackPonyGT 04-30-2009 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by black35th (Post 6162129)
I'm pretty sure the FRPP unit comes with spider gears. They are referring to the ring and pinion in that add.

well thats a ****ing dumb way to write it lol....

how does the frpp compare to the eaton? i dont mind spending the extra 150 if its going to be worth it

i know theres a lot of big hp cobras around, do they all run around on the stock diff?

i did see a 600hp marauder blow up an eaton 31 spline last weekend though....thats why im iffy if this is going to be enough or not

amoosenamedhank 04-30-2009 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT (Post 6162137)

how does the frpp compare to the eaton? i dont mind spending the extra 150 if its going to be worth it

i know theres a lot of big hp cobras around, do they all run around on the stock diff?

I think that each company writes their own add... so that's why there is inconsistencies in descriptions.

black35th 04-30-2009 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT (Post 6162137)

I agree, now it has me second guessing after I looked at the Eaton......**** I don't know call them and let us know!

I would guess that it comes assembled, because in that add they talk about the "heavy plate style clutches" and those obviously can't be installed without the spiders.......then again it could come disassembled, but then again they show it assembled in one peice........ahhh, lol