4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00' GT
well, just off tha top of my head id like around 550-650rwhp. i think?
650 rwhp you will need to double your budget my friend. As you will need fully build motor, heads, cams - set you back 5-7K. Then you will need fuel compenents injectors, boost pump, Cobra Tank 2K. Tranny another 2.6K built rear end another 1K, blower new 3.5-5.5K (recommend used one), clutch, exhaust, suspension, tires, etc you get the point.

Total Estimated Minimum Cost: 14 K or more depending if you can do labor yourself.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:51 AM
00' GT
2nd Gear Member

well, looks like im workin some overtime this summer! i guess then the first thing im gonna do is start lookin, pricing some motors. would it be less expensive to buy a good block and have it built or just buy an already built long block? and you guys would for sure go w/a blower over a turbo? and i really pre-shate all the advice and input!!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

well, looks like im workin some overtime this summer! i guess then the first thing im gonna do is start lookin, pricing some motors. would it be less expensive to buy a good block and have it built or just buy an already built long block? and you guys would for sure go w/a blower over a turbo? and i really pre-shate all the advice and input!!
if i was you and didnt know how to build my own block, i would just buy one already made

and blower vs turbo is an age old debate lol...
Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea im kinda partial to the kenne bell, but TT ur car would be SICK. Just get a block already put together, and start savin for all the other goodies. Ur not gonna want to cheap out on this stuff either, even though ur in a hurry.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
00' GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Yea im kinda partial to the kenne bell, but TT ur car would be SICK. Just get a block already put together, and start savin for all the other goodies. Ur not gonna want to cheap out on this stuff either, even though ur in a hurry.
no doubt! im in a hurry but not in a hurry! im sur not gonna cheap out on this project. ive been wanting to do this to a mustang forever. so now that ive got the availability for tha funds, im sure gonna do it the right way no matter what! i believe in ya get what ya pay for! i am partial to the roots blower setup though. i cant wait to get it all done and post some pics, gonna b a sick car i think!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I don't think $10K will get you there unless you can do all of the work yourself.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

im with 99blackgt you need to get a built long block, but unless you really want to take the time to put one together your better off leaving to people who do it everyday, because the little things like balancing and blueprinting make a huge diff. as far as super charger vs turbo, few things to note...a supercharger is going to cost less to buy, and tune. youll have a nice fatty torque curve thats fun for light to light and so on, a turbo, at least a good turbo kit will set you back probebly another 2k or more just to get the kit, and tuning will be more expensive to get right i beleive(could be wrong there) Your over all power output with the turbo will be higher at the same boost level, but your curve is going to be totally different. i personally am going turbo, cuz i love the sound, and i prefer the up top go go. good luck
Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

no doubt! im in a hurry but not in a hurry! im sur not gonna cheap out on this project. ive been wanting to do this to a mustang forever. so now that ive got the availability for tha funds, im sure gonna do it the right way no matter what! i believe in ya get what ya pay for! i am partial to the roots blower setup though. i cant wait to get it all done and post some pics, gonna b a sick car i think!
i think you mean twin screw instead of roots....roots blowers are lame, twin screw like kb and whipple are win
Old 05-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Also.......keep in mind he says he wants it to be a street car. As soon as he drops a different block in there its street ILLEGAL. Uh oh!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:01 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

i say buy a blower and run 9 or 10 PSI and see if your satisfied, then build your short/longblock if your not happy. thats what i would do.