4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Which setup to switch to...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mstang2k6
Unfortunatly i rather not go that route.
A) To expensive to constantly reinstall/re-weld the midpipe
B) In Chicago you have to go to a city/state run facilitiy to have your emissions, can't go to just go to a random location.
Well,
A) It's not that hard to do by yourself. No welding required.
B) MAC stopped making catted mid-pipes all together, including the ProChamber. In no way, shape or form will a PC ever be louder than a H/X pipe.
C) In regards to one of your other posts, Flowmaster's ARE quieter than MAC Flowpath.

Bottom line, if you want louder then switch to an o/r pipe. Like I stated above, its relatively easy to change it out yourself if you have a least a basic socket set and a jack/jack stands.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
catted x is louder than catted h....only way youre getting it louder if you wanna keep the cats is by switching to a straight through muffler like an slp lm1
LM1's or 2's sound great while catted and with an X pipe. Near Bassani BUT a manly tone not a whiny bitchy tone.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by black35th
Well,
A) It's not that hard to do by yourself. No welding required.
B) MAC stopped making catted mid-pipes all together, including the ProChamber. In no way, shape or form will a PC ever be louder than a H/X pipe.
C) In regards to one of your other posts, Flowmaster's ARE quieter than MAC Flowpath.

Bottom line, if you want louder then switch to an o/r pipe. Like I stated above, its relatively easy to change it out yourself if you have a least a basic socket set and a jack/jack stands.
I'm looking for the muscle car sound, then loudness.
But a PC won't be any quiter then say a catted BBK X-Pipe, right?

Originally Posted by sxynerd
LM1's or 2's sound great while catted and with an X pipe. Near Bassani BUT a manly tone not a whiny bitchy tone.
Heard some clips, not bad but not my style, i pretty much leaning towards a mac h-pipe or pc catted mid-pipe, if i can find either one
Old 05-03-2009, 11:38 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mstang2k6
I'm looking for the muscle car sound, then loudness.
But a PC won't be any quiter then say a catted BBK X-Pipe, right?

Heard some clips, not bad but not my style, i pretty much leaning towards a mac h-pipe or pc catted mid-pipe, if i can find either one
A PC will be barely louder than the catted X, even with the PC being o/r.

Your not going to find a *new* catted PC or h-pipe from MAC, they ran into complications with the supplier that supplies their cats, therefore they only make o/r midpipes now. You can shop for a used one on ebay, but if you find one it would probably be old. MRT is one of the only companies that I know of that makes a catted h-pipe anymore.

Something else you can consider, buying an o/r PC, and then buying some hi-flow cats and having them welded in. But please know that it will be considerably quieter than your current setup, it will sound damn near stock.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 AM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by black35th
A PC will be barely louder than the catted X, even with the PC being o/r.

Your not going to find a *new* catted PC or h-pipe from MAC, they ran into complications with the supplier that supplies their cats, therefore they only make o/r midpipes now. You can shop for a used one on ebay, but if you find one it would probably be old. MRT is one of the only companies that I know of that makes a catted h-pipe anymore.

Something else you can consider, buying an o/r PC, and then buying some hi-flow cats and having them welded in. But please know that it will be considerably quieter than your current setup, it will sound damn near stock.
Yikes...now you;re really making me want to get a o/r pc. So american thunder catback (40 series flows catback) w/the o/r pc won't be too loud or better yet it won't be to much louder than the bbk catted x-pipe setup that i currently have?

Can anyone else confirm this, I just want to get some more opinions before I pull the trigger on something like this.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:20 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

bottom line, BOTTOM LINE, you're not going to get any louder unless you go catless.

That's pretty much it. If you already have a catted X, you won't be getting it any louder with cats still in place staying with the same mufflers.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 AM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Umm...LT's, o/r h, and Flows. The MOST ba sounding setup you will ever hear on a Mustang. Period. Game. Set. Match. End of discussion.