4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

NOOB Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:38 PM
2000VertGT
1st Gear Member

Default NOOB Questions

Whats up all, I just bought a 2000 GT Convertible (Pick her up Sat or Mon). Although I'm not new to Mustangs I'm new to this gen and have a few questions I need some more experienced advice on.

1. The car has a short throw shifter (Can't think of what kind he told me but I can update tomorrow) and honestly I never have liked nor do I like this one and really want to go back to stock, is this possible? If so, how?

2. The first thing I want to do to the car is the grille delete and smoke out the headlight/tail-lights; Where is the best place to get the grille delete and would it be a better idea to buy the smoked headlights off ebay, tint them myself, or just buy covers?

3. Where is the best place to get the light bar (I'm guessing this is the name, the roll-bar-looking thing for convertibles)?

Thanks in advance

BTW: I'm in Tampa Fl and looking to find some mustang cruise-ins or something, if you're in the area hit me up.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000VertGT
Whats up all, I just bought a 2000 GT Convertible (Pick her up Sat or Mon). Although I'm not new to Mustangs I'm new to this gen and have a few questions I need some more experienced advice on.

1. The car has a short throw shifter (Can't think of what kind he told me but I can update tomorrow) and honestly I never have liked nor do I like this one and really want to go back to stock, is this possible? If so, how?
You can trade someone for their Stock shifter... Its a simple swap.

2. The first thing I want to do to the car is the grille delete and smoke out the headlight/tail-lights; Where is the best place to get the grille delete and would it be a better idea to buy the smoked headlights off ebay, tint them myself, or just buy covers?
You can buy the grill delete from anywhere, www.americanmuscle.com is a good place. As far as smoked headlights, you can buy smoked clear corner headlights on ebay for like 100$. No need to have them tinted yourself. Unless you just want them completely blacked out.

3. Where is the best place to get the light bar (I'm guessing this is the name, the roll-bar-looking thing for convertibles)?
Never liked the looks of them personally but http://www.americanmuscle.com/cldecocoli9b.html
Old 05-07-2009, 09:24 PM
2000VertGT
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I like your tails diy?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 PM
2000VertGT
1st Gear Member

One more thing, a while back I was at SCCA meet and a guy had an 99-04 GT with an exhaust that sounded like a freakin stock car. It didn't have that blubber sound of a straight pipe at low rpm but roared loud enough to shake windows in the building. I'm guessing an o/r h-pipe maybe Flowmaster 40's? Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

One more thing, a while back I was at SCCA meet and a guy had an 99-04 GT with an exhaust that sounded like a freakin stock car. It didn't have that blubber sound of a straight pipe at low rpm but roared loud enough to shake windows in the building. I'm guessing an o/r h-pipe maybe Flowmaster 40's? Any ideas?
My tail lights are just covers for now, getting headlights and tail lights blacked out by a professional body shop this summer. The covers are just temporary. My exhaust is OR/H with Flowmaster 40's and its loud as hell. I really like the sound and I get nothing but compliments about it. It has a very intimidating sound to it.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 AM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

did it sound kinda like this
http://vimeo.com/1938763
now that is a 4V so its a little different but its o/r H and flows i love the sound. and you can also get the vinyl tint for your tails from stangmods.com i have the blackout ones and love them.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:14 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

if it sounded like a stock car then I would hve to put my money on an o/r x pipe and a resonator type catback. Im partial to the x pipe but its just personal preference, you will get a great sound either way
Old 05-08-2009, 08:58 AM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by machracer11
if it sounded like a stock car then I would hve to put my money on an o/r x pipe and a resonator type catback. Im partial to the x pipe but its just personal preference, you will get a great sound either way
I would agree...but then I am partial as well...
Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Yeah get the smoked headlights off ebay. I just got mine..I think I paid like $80 something shipped. They seem to be very high quality. I will say the bulbs he had in them were just ridiculous, they were those bulbs with a blue tint over them, but other than that the lenses are great. At like americanmuscle you'll pay close to $200 for smoked lenses. No thank you.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Probably SLP LM1's with an O/R X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml9UYvWcepU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUPHflUDZ3w

Last edited by ChalknCover; 05-08-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: NOOB Questions