4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tire Blew, What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:07 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Thumbs down Tire Blew, What would you do?

Ok, so i have my car at a speed shop to get gears, rear-end rebuild, and SFCs welded in. I was supposed to pick my car up on Sunday(today), last night i get a call from the owner saying a freak accident happened and somehow he managed to "pop" my tire while pulling it into the garage to put it on the lift. It is the driver side front tire.

The tires on the front of my car have 60-70% tread left, and they are Michelin pilot PS2s..not cheap. One replacement tire without valve stem, or the shipping or tax or anything is 321$. I am not comfortable with replacing only one side and running a brand new tire with a half worn tire. The rim is an 18x9 with a 245/40 on it. (i have 18x10s w/285/35s out back). I want a wider tire anyway, so i am definitely going to get new tires up front. The issue is, i wasnt ready for another expense as i am dropping close to 1k$ as it is with everything else im doing right now.

He immediately offered to pay for one new tire and have it put on and balanced and everything. Should i be glad he is offering to do that and just suck it up and pay for the other tire? (thats the plan right now) I am decided on the NT05 in a 265/35/18.

Should i worry about having new VERY sticky tires up front when my rears are half gone regular Michelin Pilots? Im worried the way i drive(lots of spirit through the turns) that my rear is going to want to kick out more.

What do you guys think? What would you do in this situation?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:18 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

about all you can do is be happy that he's buying you a new tire, just cough up the coin for the other.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:31 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't say you need to worry about it. I would just take him up on that offer before it's too late. Have both fronts replaced, and replace the rears when they are worn or when you want to. You will simply need to get a feel for your car with different tires up front which you were going to have to do with the gears anyway . Just drive carefully as always and slowly get used to driving with the new setup.

On the plus side, once you're ready to replace, this gives you a good excuse to do some burnouts .

You will like 265s up front. That is the perfect size for 9" wheels I think. My bro has 245s on his 9s and bleh looks like the tires are pooping out the wheel or something haha
Old 05-10-2009, 06:34 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

do you think the tire popped because it was so stretched on the rim?
Am i right in thinking i should do both tires not just one?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:46 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
I would do both, lets say you have a new tire and a tire with 20k miles, the used tire will wear out 20k miles quicker and you be replacing it. Now you are back at square one, a new tire and a used tire, it will be an endless cycle. Just break the cycle before it starts. I would keep your good tire as a spare though.

Did the tire actually pop or just break the bead?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:52 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Red face

Originally Posted by 01GT4.6
I would do both, lets say you have a new tire and a tire with 20k miles, the used tire will wear out 20k miles quicker and you be replacing it. Now you are back at square one, a new tire and a used tire, it will be an endless cycle. Just break the cycle before it starts. I would keep your good tire as a spare though.

Did the tire actually pop or just break the bead?
Thats exactly what i thought at first, but i didnt directly say, did it pop or break the bead because A) he is the owner of a speed shop...he oughta know better, ad B) hes willing to fork over 300 bones...so im assuming its done for. either way im takin both original tires home with me for souvenirs lol
Old 05-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

uhh...Have him buy 1 new tire and you buy the other new tire. Problem solved.

/Thread
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
uhh...Have him buy 1 new tire and you buy the other new tire. Problem solved.

/Thread
I agree..

Why are you so worried about having new tires in the front? The front tires dont have any power applied to them, so its not like your driving on ice in the rear when you replace just front tires... Get the new tire and be on your way.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I agree with the above...

I would accept his offer to purchase a new tire and pick up the other yourself. This is a very fair offer and these things happen.

Sorry to hear about this issue, but the shoppe is handling it perfectly.

Jazzer
Old 05-11-2009, 04:15 PM
SonicBlueGT88

Originally Posted by devongarver
He probably hit the lift on the way into the bay. Ive seen a few tires get popped that way.

Quick Reply: Tire Blew, What would you do?