4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

mustang enthusiasts that know about having a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 PM
foru2nv4
2nd Gear Member

Default mustang enthusiasts that know about having a supercharger

I have a 2003 mustang GT manual 5 speed and I have a saleen series IV supercharger on it which means its a twin screw supercharger. Mt question to you enthusiasts is I was racing two cars down a street. I had a cadillac seville on my right drivin down the shoulder and all of a sudden I had a pontiac G8 passing me on my right side cuz I saw the trunk lid say that so I decided to down shift to third gear even after I had the cadillac smoked in my rear view mirror. I started to catch up to the pontiac and this was all rolling down the street not from a dead stop, as soon as I dropped it into third my check engine light started flashing at me I still had it floored, felt like I was loosing some power but I started gaining on the pontiac and passing it, thank god I had 4.10 gears in the car to help because I am assuming my superchargers belt started slipping thats the reason for the check engine light flashing at me.. A couple secounds later I pulled into a housing area after I started pulling on the pontiac G8 and the light went out. I am assuming its the charger belt that is slipping. Does anyone out there know what I can do to fix the belt from slippin? Is there a whipple pulling or a kenne bell pulley with teeth I can buy to keep supercharger from slipping? That would have givin me a huge advantage if it was workin against a 350 engine even though I didn't need it with the 4.10 gears. Please help me solve this and what website can I get you alls suggestions from? O and the opulley is connected with 4 bolts using an allen wrench. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
mustangman281
Banned

You have much bigger problems then belt slipping. The computer does not monitor the belt in anyway. A flashing check engine light is a very bad thing and means that the computer does not like what the engine is doing. You were either leaning out or missing really bad.

By the way your not going to beat a G8 with a saleen charged mustang unless it's built and pushing alot more boost then what it came with.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
foru2nv4
2nd Gear Member

I want to think what your saying but with 4.10 gears and a some what charger working cuz I still think thats why the belt was slipping cuz of a smaller pulley and a gator belt v poly grip and an aftermarket pulley that tightens the belt even more. Which the aftermarket pulley is mounted on the driverside of the engine near the supercharger pulley to help wrap the gator belt more around the charger pulley. I still think it was slipping during the race cuz thats when the check engine light started to flash at me after I shifted back down to 3rd gear and it seem to lose power but with the 4.10 rearend gears I installed help keep me in the race. As soon as I slowed down and coasted after I made a right turn into the housing area the light went out. I am thinking that the belt was slipping and could not burn the gas cuz foot was to the floor. If this is the problem how due I fix the pulley from slippin? I due not have a check engine light anymore after the car slowed down like the belt was able to engage and burn the fuel at the proper driving range. Can anyone give me a good website to get a pulley that can grab belt. I went from a stock saleen series IV pulley 3.10 to a 2.79 pulley aftermarket.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

A flashing check engine light usually indicates misfire in your cylinders. check your plugs and coil on plugs. this would be caused by moisture. did you have your engine bay washed lately?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 PM
foru2nv4
2nd Gear Member

No I did not wash it at all. Have owned it since 2 years back and never have washed engine. But the plugs due have 40,000 miles on them.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 PM
mustangman281
Banned

No the computer can not detect misfire due to water only misfire caused by bad coils or wires.

More then likely the engine was running lean causing the light. When the engine runs so lean that it passes the limits of adjustability of the computer the computer cuts timing to try to save the engine causing a big loss in power.

The light was not triggered by belt slip. If you find a sensor that monitors the belt or pulleys then I will shut up and stop giving my advise. If not I suggest you listen to me and datalog a run and pull the codes.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Listen to ox you got much bigger problems than a belt slippage. Go get your car re-dyno otherwise you will be posting I have a blown engine.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 PM
foru2nv4
2nd Gear Member

Alright thanks guys
Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
You have much bigger problems then belt slipping. The computer does not monitor the belt in anyway. A flashing check engine light is a very bad thing and means that the computer does not like what the engine is doing. You were either leaning out or missing really bad.

By the way your not going to beat a G8 with a saleen charged mustang unless it's built and pushing alot more boost then what it came with.
There are different types of G8s. not all the G8s are the fast ones lol
Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Originally Posted by H0SS302
There are different types of G8s. not all the G8s are the fast ones lol
It had to be either the 6.0 or the 6.2 one. Both would take a s/c saleen. If he was bragging about racing the v6 and not catching him then he has lots of problems.

Quick Reply: mustang enthusiasts that know about having a supercharger