4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4k to spend...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM
SilverGT03
3rd Gear Member

Default 4k to spend...

So by the end of the summer I will be running into a little bit of extra cash, around 4k or so. I was looking into supercharging my car but I wasn't sure which way to go. I've seen some vortechs out there as well as a kenne bell non intercooled for around that price. What would you guys do? Other options are welcome as well.
Thanks guys
Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Maybe some of the blower guys will chime in, but from what i hear if you are going non intercooled you might want to stay away from a positive (kenne bell) displacement blower.

I have friends with non intercooled vortechs that don't have bad heat soak issues.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6-...-kb-2-1-a.html

seems like we are dealing with the same question! My advice, make sure you have a solid suspension setup to handle and put down all that power before you spend spend spend.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 PM
ChrisZio04GT
1st Gear Member

put that 4k into a 5800 dollar Kenne Bell supercharger with big tube kit, and you will have the time of your life with your car. I was like you had 4k to spend and wanted to get something around that price, looked and read a lot of post and went with kenne bell. Install was so easy, they give you a tune for car which works great. Sign up for new credit card get 1 year no interest and pay 300 dollars a month
Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 PM
jRock617
2nd Gear Member

is 4K ur limit to spend? if thats so, u could probably get a Non IC supecharger setup from somewhere and run 6psi, which would give u 310-330 hp depending on your mods.

i would reccomend getting some of the basic bolt ons before supercharging, an upper plenum, catback, and headers if u can. thats going to let your car breath, so when u do supercharge it, you'll make more power.

if you want to stay in the around 300-310 hp range, for chaper you could go for ported heads, cams, and gears, and thatll run u $2-2.5K (with bolt ons)

If u wanna run around 390-400 hp. your going to have to spend $5K+ on an intercooled kit running around 9psi (with bolt ons).

it all comes down to how much money you want to spend, and what your goal for power is.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 PM
SilverGT03
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jRock617
is 4K ur limit to spend? if thats so, u could probably get a Non IC supecharger setup from somewhere and run 6psi, which would give u 310-330 hp depending on your mods.

i would reccomend getting some of the basic bolt ons before supercharging, an upper plenum, catback, and headers if u can. thats going to let your car breath, so when u do supercharge it, you'll make more power.

if you want to stay in the around 300-310 hp range, for chaper you could go for ported heads, cams, and gears, and thatll run u $2-2.5K (with bolt ons)

If u wanna run around 390-400 hp. your going to have to spend $5K+ on an intercooled kit running around 9psi (with bolt ons).

it all comes down to how much money you want to spend, and what your goal for power is.
I think you might be exaggerating a little. 6 psi for 300, bump it 3 more and it gets kicked up to 400? I would check that stat...
Old 05-14-2009, 11:14 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

I'm gonna venture away from the S/C route.

Get a full exhaust, tb/plenum, a good set of custom ground cam's, the new Trick Flow heads, and a 100 shot of the crack. That should put you around 400HP on the spray and around 300 N/A. That will be cheaper than a *brand new* S/C set up so you will have some money left for suspension or visual mods.

If your dead set on the S/C then check out the $1500 S/C thread, it will take some time to find a good used head unit and you will have to piece things together, but would be well worth it for the money saved.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

http://www.jmschip.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_2 a few kits for under 4k , also check out MPH mongoose kits and Lethal performance has some kits too.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:37 AM
SilverGT03
3rd Gear Member

After reading several posts about each type of supercharger I'm leaning towards the kenne bell 2.1 non intercooled system. It's under 4k and comes with everything I would need, plus the install seems much easier than a centri. My question now is how does the non intercooled version perform? obviously I would only run 6psi but even with that would I be ok? I do live in Florida so it's hot as hell all year round...
Old 05-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverGT03
After reading several posts about each type of supercharger I'm leaning towards the kenne bell 2.1 non intercooled system. It's under 4k and comes with everything I would need, plus the install seems much easier than a centri. My question now is how does the non intercooled version perform? obviously I would only run 6psi but even with that would I be ok? I do live in Florida so it's hot as hell all year round...
DO NOT go with a Kenne Bell if you are not going to intercool it. I made that mistake and paid more in the end. If you can do the work yourself you can buy the whole kit intercooled for 5k from Kenne Bell. The heat will cause you to loose a significant amount of power being non-intercooled and your car will feel like a slug. If you cant do the work yourself you will tack on another chunk of change to the price for labor and dyno tuning if you choose that route depending on where you go. I would say if you cant afford to intercool the KB then go with a centri such as procharger, vortech etc. Trust me you will regret it if you non-intercool the KB especially with summer temps creeping in.

Quick Reply: 4k to spend...