4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lower trap with 4.10s??? WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Red face Lower trap with 4.10s??? WTF??

Well i finally had a chance to drive my car yesterday, i got it back from the shop after a big fiasco but all said and done i now have 4.10 gears, carbon clutch discs in the rear, and SFCs.

So, I've only driven it a few times since i got it back and I can definitely say the bottom end has a lot more pick-up than before. It actually puts me back in the seat in 3rd gear now. And im chirping the tires shifting to 4th and they aren't junk tires they are Michelin pilots. So, i am impressed with that aspect of it.

Here now is my concern, i havent been able to take it to the track yet, but there are two different locations on back roads that we have marked at approx. a quarter mile that we test out all the time. Before the gears i was at 97-100mph ish just shifting into fourth a few hundred feet before the line. I couldnt hook up for **** in first though so i would always short shift it. Now, after the gears, the best i can get at either place is 93-95mph. I get NO traction anywhere in first gear even at half throttle, so i baby it and short shift to 2nd and hammer down. Still spins pretty badly whole way through second but accelerating none the less. I hit 3rd and it sets me back in my seat and pulls STRONG. I hit fourth and its pulls well untill about 80mph ish and then its like hitting a brick wall(relatively speaking). It creeps from 80-90 like im in fifth gear not tryin to accelerate at all.

So, what am i doing wrong here? Unfortunately i have no idea how fast(seconds) i am getting through the line at, but should my traps be higher not lower? I realize im not getting **** for traction but damn,...could that really be it?

Any thoughts from others that have made the 4.10 swap?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 AM
jeff37110
2nd Gear Member

Drag Radials. Getting out of the hole has alot to do with it. Traction is the problem.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:36 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

i hope traction is the only issue...but im worried still, fourth gear felt so weak..
Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 AM
fausty
4th Gear Member

Dont you have to break in the gears for 500 miles or so(doesnt have anything to do w/ your question.)
Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I love 4th gear in my car, not as much as 2nd and 3rd obvioulsy, but it still pulls like one would expect.

It could just be a combination of your imagination and unfamiliarity with the new set up.

And yes, if you're having to go half throttle though half of first, short shifting 2nd and still not being able to go WOT, that will play a huge part in a lower 'trap' speed.

You're probably only making a bit more power than I am, and I was able to go 13.6@100 with a 1.85 60'....

You ought to be able to touch 13.3s or so with an equal if not better launch with PRACTICE.....
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fausty
Dont you have to break in the gears for 500 miles or so(doesnt have anything to do w/ your question.)
not that im aware of, only the junk motives need a break in but ive heard nothing good about motives anyway....i dunno maybe im wrong.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:53 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
I love 4th gear in my car, not as much as 2nd and 3rd obvioulsy, but it still pulls like one would expect.

It could just be a combination of your imagination and unfamiliarity with the new set up.

And yes, if you're having to go half throttle though half of first, short shifting 2nd and still not being able to go WOT, that will play a huge part in a lower 'trap' speed.

You're probably only making a bit more power than I am, and I was able to go 13.6@100 with a 1.85 60'....

You ought to be able to touch 13.3s or so with an equal if not better launch with PRACTICE.....

wow, well that makes me feel a little bit better. I guess some traction is in order, im getting some upper and lower CAs soon, hopefully that will help.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

I had 4.10s for about a year and that's pretty much par for the course without a really nice set of autox tires or drag radials. I had to have it rebuilt because the shop ****ed up and I'm having them put 373s in. I dont want to have to have DRs on my daily driver to worry about putting some punk in his place.

Don't worry though, you'll just have to learn to control the throttle. There is a threshold that you have to stay under in first (and 2nd somewhat) that will let you maximize your acceleration. If you go over it, you start spinning up the rpms. Watch out for redline, it will get there in a hurry
Old 05-17-2009, 12:08 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
I had 4.10s for about a year and that's pretty much par for the course without a really nice set of autox tires or drag radials. I had to have it rebuilt because the shop ****ed up and I'm having them put 373s in. I dont want to have to have DRs on my daily driver to worry about putting some punk in his place.

Don't worry though, you'll just have to learn to control the throttle. There is a threshold that you have to stay under in first (and 2nd somewhat) that will let you maximize your acceleration. If you go over it, you start spinning up the rpms. Watch out for redline, it will get there in a hurry
hmmm....well i just put NT05s on the front and i might try them out back if these pilots dont work out and i decide i like the NT05s, but i havent been able to put them through their paces yet to find out. Hopefully the CAs im getting will help alot.

And of course a good driver mod would be nice,...but that cant be bought unfortunately lol.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:19 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

I have control arms and decent tires - it's really not going to get a lot better unless you get into either phb/ta combo or drag radials. I dont know much about the NT05s - I'm sure they would help but drag radials would probably do more.

Quick Reply: Lower trap with 4.10s??? WTF??