4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

does anybody know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 AM
03rumbler

Default does anybody know?

im looking for a K&N CAI at a reasonable price..anybody know any shops in so cal where I can get it for a good price and installed there
Old 05-19-2009, 12:56 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

LOL if you need someone to install your CAI for you, you should not be driving a performance car. That is the easiest install you can do on a car.

Just look on ebay for a used K&N
Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

LOL don't' bother wasting you money man

...but if you really need one, ebay/craigslist
Old 05-19-2009, 01:36 AM
jagass
1st Gear Member

Try ebay man...
Old 05-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Dude just buy one from Americanmuscle.com

They give free shipping and you should be able to install it yourself. Very simple to do!

If you don't wanna spend the money then maybe this is not the right hobby for you, as things only get a lot more expensive.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:50 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Do you have some change your oil for you too?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:15 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03rumbler
im looking for a K&N CAI at a reasonable price..anybody know any shops in so cal where I can get it for a good price and installed there
I don't really think many if not any retail walk-in stores carry them, just buy it online or find one used. I bought mine used on eBay. It's really very simple to install, do it yourself. Once you are done you'll be happy you did.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Unless you just want to for cosmetic reasons there's no reason to replace the stock CAI.

Despite what K&N claims there will someplace between zero and no power gain, if anyone has back-to-back dyno runs (with no other changes*) I love to see them...

Save your money for a mid-pipe, catback, and a tune/tuner (93 octane).

-----------------------------------
* - K&N and others like to pick a car with 3k+ miles on the engine oil, change that as well, and then show how their product adds power.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

A friend of mine just ordered a bunch of stuff at my house through AM.com, and he wants a CAI...

however, I told him it's not gonna make if any power *regardless of brand*

He told me that he just really like the way that the JLT looks coming straight out of the fend right into the intake..

anybody have any suggestions on how to make one instead of spending 250 dollars on a chromish tube that looks cool?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
A friend of mine just ordered a bunch of stuff at my house through AM.com, and he wants a CAI...

however, I told him it's not gonna make if any power *regardless of brand*

He told me that he just really like the way that the JLT looks coming straight out of the fend right into the intake..

anybody have any suggestions on how to make one instead of spending 250 dollars on a chromish tube that looks cool?
Actually, and despite what I said above, the JLT intakes are sort of an exception that proves the rule.

The intake air flow on a internal combustion engine is not continuous stream, but rather a series of pulses at varying frequencies, that are of course related to engine RPM--this is largely because like everything else air has mass, and that a body at rest tends to stay at rest while one in motion tends to stay in motion.

This series of sonic pulses will at certain frequencies resonate within the various "chambers" of the intake path, and at such times the standing waves produced can either reinforce or act against the flow. The JLT intakes represent an attempt to tune the intake tube (chamber) to minimise resonant peaks (or move them to frequencies outside of the normal range), and thus minimise the harmful products of same*.

To some extent this works, however in terms of "bang for the buck" there are a lot of other mods with better paybacks...

----------------------------------------
* - BTW, if you examine the shape of the OEM intake tube you will also observe that it too it not just a straight piece of pipe--it's dimensions were engineered as they are for the same reasons as stated above.