4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
View Poll Results: Should I get the Commando?
Yes, A monkey could do it.
88.89%
No, You're not a smart Monkey.
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Sniper Commando, Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Guys, there is NO rocket science here, the fundamental principles of a 4-stroke engine are easy--suck, squeeze, bang, blow--everything else is just refinement of those actions.

Even those who "...know what they are doing..." were not born knowing how to tune an engine--they started out like the rest of us crapping in their diapers, and not knowing squat about engine tuning.

Get Greg's book, read it, ask questions, take things easy at first, and learn as you go. Contrary to what the government schools have fed you it is entirely possible for someone to learn something without being taught by someone else.
funny Ranting, lol.

I went to christian schools and am a Conservative. I reply on my ingenuity, strengths, a good woman and perseverance to adapt, overcome and do great things in my life! The gov. never taught me how to do anything right except shoot a gun.

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Damn you cliffy, I was all content paying out my *** to let someone else tune my car.... now you have me thinking (which history has taught me, doesn't lead to good)
Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Guys, there is NO rocket science here, the fundamental principles of a 4-stroke engine are easy--suck, squeeze, bang, blow--everything else is just refinement of those actions.

Even those who "...know what they are doing..." were not born knowing how to tune an engine--they started out like the rest of us crapping in their diapers, and not knowing squat about engine tuning.

Get Greg's book, read it, ask questions, take things easy at first, and learn as you go. Contrary to what the government schools have fed you it is entirely possible for someone to learn something without being taught by someone else.
Get yourself a heavily modified car like mine or sxynerd and try to tune it yourself. It's much easier to just pay someone then spend money on software and risk destroying all the money and time you put into the car.

Any monkey can tune a NA car, hell I let my son write the tune for my wifes last mustang. When you get to big power cars it's alot different.

I know all the fundimentals of tuning a FI car like what the a/f ratio should be, how to increase timing and how to get a cammed car to idle. But there is alot more that needs to be adjusted that I just don't know to keep driveability like maf counts, iac function, a/f at load, fuel at tps and spark at tps along with setting the ect temps to let the computer know what to do at what temp.

Again for the safety of his car I suggest Bob do it for him.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Get yourself a heavily modified car like mine or sxynerd and try to tune it yourself. It's much easier to just pay someone then spend money on software and risk destroying all the money and time you put into the car.

Any monkey can tune a NA car, hell I let my son write the tune for my wifes last mustang. When you get to big power cars it's alot different.

I know all the fundimentals of tuning a FI car like what the a/f ratio should be, how to increase timing and how to get a cammed car to idle. But there is alot more that needs to be adjusted that I just don't know to keep driveability like maf counts, iac function, a/f at load, fuel at tps and spark at tps along with setting the ect temps to let the computer know what to do at what temp.

Again for the safety of his car I suggest Bob do it for him.
Horse crap...

I tuned my s/c Miatas, running 12-15 psi, by myself--starting out not knowing diddly about it, and ended up getting over 242HP out of 1.6L (the equivalent of 695HP out of 4.6L) with a coldside M62 Eaton.

No one was born with a full understanding of things like "maf counts, iac function, a/f at load, fuel at tps and spark at tps along with setting the ect temps", etc.*; they learned those things--the fact that you and your monkey have chosen not to learn these things does not mean that others cannot or do not care to.

As I said earlier, there is NO rocket science here, The "wizards" like to keep you thinking there is, the truth is there is NOT...

--------------------------------
* - BTW all of these are explained in detail in Greg Banish's book, as long as you can read at an 8th grade level or better you should be OK.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:36 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Ok fine sxynerd if you want your car down for another few months while you figure out and learn how to tune then listen to cliffy. But if you want to drive your car in the next week or so then go to Bob. Either way it will cost the same to get the tuning software or to get tuned.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Horse crap...

I tuned my s/c Miatas, running 12-15 psi, by myself--starting out not knowing diddly about it, and ended up getting over 242HP out of 1.6L (the equivalent of 695HP out of 4.6L) with a coldside M62 Eaton.

No one was born with a full understanding of things like "maf counts, iac function, a/f at load, fuel at tps and spark at tps along with setting the ect temps", etc.*; they learned those things--the fact that you and your monkey have chosen not to learn these things does not mean that others cannot or do not care to.

As I said earlier, there is NO rocket science here, The "wizards" like to keep you thinking there is, the truth is there is NOT...

--------------------------------
* - BTW all of these are explained in detail in Greg Banish's book, as long as you can read at an 8th grade level or better you should be OK.
link to book?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:00 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Ok fine sxynerd if you want your car down for another few months while you figure out and learn how to tune then listen to cliffy. But if you want to drive your car in the next week or so then go to Bob. Either way it will cost the same to get the tuning software or to get tuned.
If you give a man a fish he can eat for a day, if you teach him (or he learns) to fish he can eat for a lifetime...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

well if it comes with the SF which allows you to import a base tune into the Cammando, and then use that to figure out the rest of the tune, I say go commando

I think using a base tune, something that will be overly safe, it can be pretty easy to tune yourself.

I know it sounds reduntant, but if I can do it, you can do it mike.

I'm not all that familiar with sniper, but it sounds like if you can use the Special Forces to create a base that you can then modify, I think that you can easily tune your car correctly.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM
mustangman281
Banned

The base tune I created with sniper sf wouldn't even get the car to idle. There is nothing in sf to allow for cams.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

I agree with Ox all that money does not make sense to test out your skills. However, with the discount price with Commando it is a no brainer to buy it. I am going with Commando and doing base tune in SF then transfering it to the Commando prior to a professional dyno tune so they can tune it for me.

Who knows maybe someday I would use the Commando features myself but i could not bear it I blew another engine. My shop said they prefer SCT but can tune with SF and Commando as well. Since this is my second hand held tuner, my thought was to go for all the functionality.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Not to knock Sniper or anything, but if he already has an SCT handheld (not sure if he does), he could also just be the SCT Pro Racer package for $350 and tune it himself as well...

Quick Reply: Sniper Commando, Yes or No