4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need some suspension help/advice

Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
i think i would have killed someone by now.....
Well no one else notices it but it bugs the **** out of me!
Old 05-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

sadly, i know what you mean..
Old 05-28-2009, 03:36 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Originally Posted by Stangatic
what ever you do..... DO NOT BUY the Qa1 Proactive System. It is the worst POS that I have ever bought, and their TECH support is worthless. I still have problems to this day with my Qa1 suspension. The coil overs are noisy (car sounds like a ho's mattress going over bumps and has tons of clearance issues) IMO, I wish I would have just bought a Roush or Saleen suspension kit.
Sounds like a **** install too me. I have QA1 Kmember, a arms and coilovers up front and QA1 coilovers out back and not a single noise. The only problem I ever had was the top of one of the struts came loose and leaked but it cost me $5 for fluid and an hour of my time to fix. QA1 customer service was great and stayed on the phone with me and talked me thru the strut rebuild process.

I highly suggest QA1 to anybody.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:34 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Sounds like a **** install too me. I have QA1 Kmember, a arms and coilovers up front and QA1 coilovers out back and not a single noise. The only problem I ever had was the top of one of the struts came loose and leaked but it cost me $5 for fluid and an hour of my time to fix. QA1 customer service was great and stayed on the phone with me and talked me thru the strut rebuild process.

I highly suggest QA1 to anybody.
Agreed. I don't have this particular kit but we just got done putting new QA1 coilovers on the back of my dads Pinto and they work great and I had great tech support when I called them about my application.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

So the QA1 coil overs do not make any noise, ect??
Old 05-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Mine are noisy as hell. and there are several people on this forum running them and they will agree. In regards to the customer service..... 1, they are not Ford people. 2, They will try anything to get you to not send the product back, and if you do, they make you pay for the shipping. and 3, it took me two months of talking to their customer service to get major issues worked out. I bought the proactive system and have had thousands of problems. To the point where QA1 had to recall their bumpsteer kit because they thought the kit would work on all mustangs, but failed to recognize that in 1998/99 Ford went metric instead of SAE. It took 2 months to solve that issue which finally resulted in me still having to pay of the POS kit.

The reason why I say don't go with coilovers is because IMO, I think they are more work, more expensive, and not what they are all cracked up to be for our year stangs. I love the stance that my stang has with the coilovers, but think the stances obtained with the Roush and Saleen kit are just as good and the handling is extremely equivalent. I also noticed that the Roush and Saleens rides are a little bit more comfortable than the coilovers too.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:59 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Originally Posted by Stangatic
Mine are noisy as hell. and there are several people on this forum running them and they will agree. In regards to the customer service..... 1, they are not Ford people. 2, They will try anything to get you to not send the product back, and if you do, they make you pay for the shipping. and 3, it took me two months of talking to their customer service to get major issues worked out. I bought the proactive system and have had thousands of problems. To the point where QA1 had to recall their bumpsteer kit because they thought the kit would work on all mustangs, but failed to recognize that in 1998/99 Ford went metric instead of SAE. It took 2 months to solve that issue which finally resulted in me still having to pay of the POS kit.

The reason why I say don't go with coilovers is because IMO, I think they are more work, more expensive, and not what they are all cracked up to be for our year stangs. I love the stance that my stang has with the coilovers, but think the stances obtained with the Roush and Saleen kit are just as good and the handling is extremely equivalent. I also noticed that the Roush and Saleens rides are a little bit more comfortable than the coilovers too.
Again I am going to say bad install and bad spring choice. I have been riding on coilovers for years now and it is much more of a comfortable ride then my wifes car with sportlines.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

thanks guys! Well do either of you have coil overs on the rear? Are they worth it? are you able to launch better with coilovers?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 AM
mustangman281
Banned

I have coilovers in the rear and it was a big improvement in launching. I also have QA1 in the back.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys, keep it comming!
Have you heard anything about the team z stuff?
I have the KGB adjustable shocks/struts, if i go to coil overs, do i have to get new shock/struts to work with them? Reason i ask is i see most kits are either compatable with blistien or Koni/strange
Are they universal is what i am trying to ask?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some suspension help/advice