4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

244RWHP 275 RWTQ Good???? Need Feedback!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:05 PM
02Stang89
2nd Gear Member

Yea I know Stage 3 Heads are not meant for my stock motor and I don't plan on putting them on my stock motor. After my motor gets build I will put them on. But thanks for the info guys!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:58 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02Stang89
My friend got a bigger Mass Air Meter and got 7 RWHP and he got it for only $85 used. Granted he has a few more bolts on than me but still. I spoke with Hellion and they advised me to go with the Stage 3 Heads. I don't want to buy Stage 2 heads and then buy the stage 3 later when I get my Twin Turbo kit. I know I'm going to lose some low end torque from my P-51 Intake but it'll be worth it when I get my Hellion Turbo Kit next summer. I know that the stock intake manifolds are not bad I just want something different. Fox Lake Racing Intake Manifolds are in no way cheap. And by the way I've talked to modular engine shops and they agree that my Manifold, Heads, cam combo is a good choice for my upcoming Turbos. One of my friends has a 2v and decided to just get the twin turbos without any engine bolt ons or work other than exhaust and it didn't take him long to blow his motor. So I know I don't want to go that way. I want to build my motor for the turbos.
wouldn't there be other factors involved that would cause that, not just not having the supporting mods?
Old 05-30-2009, 07:08 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by avlon06
wouldn't there be other factors involved that would cause that, not just not having the supporting mods?
yes lol not having full bolt ons would not cause the motor to blow, it just wouldn't make as much power...

not getting enough fuel or air or a bad tune or excessive power on stock internals would cause it to blow.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:02 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
yes lol not having full bolt ons would not cause the motor to blow, it just wouldn't make as much power...

not getting enough fuel or air or a bad tune or excessive power on stock internals would cause it to blow.
tis what i figured
Old 05-30-2009, 10:11 PM
02Stang89
2nd Gear Member

lol Yea not having bolt ons wouldn't make the motor blow. But stock Internals in a high mileage motor plus 20 pounds of boost = Kaboom. I told him to run at about 8-10 PSI but he didn't listen to me. Now he's doing what he should have been doing and building the motor with a forged crank, rods, low compression pistions, etc.

Last edited by 02Stang89; 05-30-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:27 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Whoever throws 20psi of boost to a stock bottom end is freakin insane and needs to be nowhere near a mustang. You sound a lot like me about a year or so ago. Stage 3 heads are pointless unless your motor is bored out. And if youre paying that much money for heads, id just go ahead and purchase the trickflow heads since they are as much as stage 3 heads and still have potential. But you really need to think about your parts and do more research into what you have decided on before you go purchasing these parts. Hellion twin turbo kit...very nice piece. dont look back there. Word to the wise...ask around about patriot heads and you will see what kind of reputation they have of not being the best quality pieces out there. If you are going turbo in the future, id just buy turbo cams now so you wont have to worry about buying cams again when the new motor goes together and may not have the extra money to put into another set of cams. And before you go buying an off the shelf cam, consider going with a custom grind cam...same price but more specific to your application. Id look towards Cushman Motorsports as his cams are extremely well liked on the forums and perform well for forum members. Another item i wouldnt look back on is the P51. My buddy put down 700rwhp with a single hellion 76mm turbo through that manifold and it works like a charm...but there is a lot left in it due to the fact that he didnt have money for turbo cams when he put the motor together. So thats why i said about the cams. But sounds like you have some nice plans...identical to mine actually. So keep us posted on the progress man and good luck.

Teej
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

im sorta gonna go away from u teej just a bit, i think you should buy some sort of F/I first weather it be a blower or a turbo and then build around it, that way you KNOW you will put the parts to use.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 PM
02Stang89
2nd Gear Member

Yea I know. I told him it was pretty much a ticking timebomb with his internals. Your right I should do a little more research on the Heads. I havn't looked into Trick Flows 2V heads yet. Are they on the market yet?, I know there pretty new. I know Trick Flow makes some amazing heads and my I've seen them work wonders. Thats a good idea about the turbo cams, do it once and not twice. I'll definetly do that since Im 100% sure Im going twin turbo. I'm glad to hear that the P-51 Intake can push 700rwhp through it. Thats around where my goal is. I want some reliability and streetability without going too out of control. I need to address my rear upper/lower controls arms, and a few suspension components before "trying" to put all that power to the ground. Thanks for your help man. Good Luck with your car too. BTW Let me know how those Upper and Lower control arms work out for you? Thanks again
Old 05-31-2009, 01:05 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Thats pretty much spot on to what I did, jlt rai, slp x, slp lmI's, xcal 91 perf tune.
246.17rwhp 286.01rwtq.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:50 AM
03GeeTee
3rd Gear Member

That's damn similar to what mine made on the dyno a few weeks ago with similar mods...244 hp./280 tq.

Here's my sheet

Last edited by 03GeeTee; 05-31-2009 at 01:54 AM.

Quick Reply: 244RWHP 275 RWTQ Good???? Need Feedback!