4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

how much trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

if you are paying somebody to do the labor, either a 4v swap (03-04 cobra motors, because of the better internals) or rebuild the 2v with forged internals and then boost it....also an older 4v would work but you should put better internals in it since it will be out of the car...im swapping in a 460 right now into my car, and if i was having to pay a shop to do this labor, i would in no way have ever thought about the swap
Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
not to be a dick or anything....but before you say its an easy swap, maybe you should do one

theres a lot more to my swap than switching k members and mounting a new motor

my entire car has to be rewired, all gauges need to be custom, those "kits" do not fit our cars just right and several things need to be modified, driveshaft doesnt fit... theres so many things other than just a k member...ive spent 4 grand on misc **** aside from my motor and transmission...and heres a tip, my k member was only $150 of that

i coulda done it a bit cheaper used, but thats not the point
it's not my fault you swapped to a big block there genious, I told you it was going to be more of a pain than you thought, yet, no, I don't know anything

How much has ZW spent? I'm sure a hell of a lot less than you, minus the engine.

There's a difference swapping in a 460, and a small block ford.

What did you say when I suggested it would be a waste? "oh, I know this dude who has done this swap so many times, it'll be easy and I won't have to spend that much"

Oh, and I had everything required to do a TT408W swap on my car, including everything needed to mate it to a T-56, new wiring harness, manual Rack and Pinion, serpentine belt system, new alternator, custom driveshaft, and a full guage set.

And I have this funny memory of helping the guy I sold all of it to install it into his car, on MY lift, in MY garage, with MY tools.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:46 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
it's not my fault you swapped to a big block there genious, I told you it was going to be more of a pain than you thought, yet, no, I don't know anything

How much has ZW spent? I'm sure a hell of a lot less than you, minus the engine.

There's a difference swapping in a 460, and a small block ford.

What did you say when I suggested it would be a waste? "oh, I know this dude who has done this swap so many times, it'll be easy and I won't have to spend that much"

Oh, and I had everything required to do a TT408W swap on my car, including everything needed to mate it to a T-56, new wiring harness, manual Rack and Pinion, serpentine belt system, new alternator, custom driveshaft, and a full guage set.

And I have this funny memory of helping the guy I sold all of it to install it into his car, on MY lift, in MY garage, with MY tools.
where did i ever mention it being a waste? i said i had to of paid a shop to do it, it would have been a waste....im not paying a shop to do it

i have no idea what zw paid for all of his

the guy who is helping me has done the swap before, therefore he knows everything involved and all the areas that need addressed before getting ****ed and having to redo ****...hence i said it would be easy for him.....try swapping a b16 into a lincoln navigator..i bet its difficult, but if you take it to somone who has done it quite a few times, they will throw it right in...hence the easy part

that big list of parts you just rattled off, does that sound cheap? hell no it doesnt, not to me....but then again, whenever you make a post its flashing cash around so im not surprised

i will have about 5k into this swap, including a built rear end and a decent trans.....cheaper than building a 2v? hell yes it is, i will be making 400-500 on motor and spraying 200 on top of it, safely

if the guy is making this thread, he obviously doesnt know **** about doing this swap, and he obviously has never done one.... simply telling him it is easy is an understatement, and i called you out on it..... the "easiest" swap would be the built 2v, rebuilt with good internals and some FI.... or the 4v swap

if he is doing the work himself, the pushrod would definately be worth looking into, which i already stated....but if he is wanting a shop to do the work then its not a good idea to go pushrod over mod, because of the added expense

if you did do a swap, and i dont mean you handed the dude some wrenches, if you were a major part of helping him install the 408, then i appologize for calling you out saying you havent done it, my bad....but doing a swap and helping do a swap are different things...like i said though, i dont know what you did or didnt do, so im not insinuating anything.

im not sure why you always get so ƒucking mean and defensive every time i post...i already understand you dont like my swap, but its not your car so please stop mocking me.... not everybody can afford to spend 40-60 grand or whatever you have into your car

i was simply posting in this thread to inform the guy that it is NOT "easy" to swap a pushrod motor into a mod car, and that if he is having a shop do the work for him, i would suggest a mod motor, and that if he is doing his own work, to look into a pushrod
Old 06-05-2009, 08:19 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Look, I wasn't, nor am I trying to Mock you, I just get annoyed when people insinuate that I don't do anything, just because I don't extend my installs by 4 hours so I can take pics.

Everybody assumes that I just sit around and pay someone to do all my work for me, and I don't. I'm not great at turning a wrench, but that doesn't mean that I won't.

As for parts, yes, it can get expensive, BUT it can also be done very inexpensively.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:22 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

To the OP: What are you trying to accomplish? A streetable 2V is capable of 10s or lower depending what you have into it, I'm pretty sure the time in AZ's sig. was on street tires, so that tells me he's got some real power out of his. I don't know 99blackpony's reasoning for swapping to a 460, but I believe ZW did the swap because he's looking to run faster for less money than he was, as he was already run low 7 sec. 1/8ths with the nitrous fed 2V he had. If you looking to run in the 9's or even the 8's, than a pushrod is a better, more pocket friendly option, but if you're just looking for a bad *** street car, a blown or juiced 2V or 4V should more than feed your cravings.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM
00' GT
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
To the OP: What are you trying to accomplish? A streetable 2V is capable of 10s or lower depending what you have into it, I'm pretty sure the time in AZ's sig. was on street tires, so that tells me he's got some real power out of his. I don't know 99blackpony's reasoning for swapping to a 460, but I believe ZW did the swap because he's looking to run faster for less money than he was, as he was already run low 7 sec. 1/8ths with the nitrous fed 2V he had. If you looking to run in the 9's or even the 8's, than a pushrod is a better, more pocket friendly option, but if you're just looking for a bad *** street car, a blown or juiced 2V or 4V should more than feed your cravings.
well im jus wanting a really fast street car that looks awesome too. in case i ever want to enter shows. so something different would be great too if possible. i'd love to have a fuel injected 351 and go from there, but dont have a clue on how to do it. i'll have to take it to have all the work done to it so my labor bill is gonna be out tha roof im sure, but thats ok cause i really want it to be what i want. most of the interior work im doin my self, so i just need some mech help! i really pre-shate all tha input!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

okay, well an EFI 351 with a good transmission, even a junkyard set up will probably put you into it for around 7-8k in parts, just the ECU alone will be 3k.

if you can strip the car yourself, remove everything, you'll save yourself a ton of cost in labor, and if you can manage to do wiring work, you'll save yourself even more.

To convert a carbed car to EFI, it'll cost around $4,500. Then you'll need tuning, which is going to gonna cost quite a bit since it'll be with zero base tune to go off of.

if you can find the ECU from a 1993 F150 lightning, along with the engine to go with it (wich will be a 351), you can rig that to work in your mustang.

You'll need specific parts to mate the transmission up to the engine.

If you aren't going to do it yourself, it won't even be near worth it, you'll spend more money just getting the damn thing running than you would spend getting a 2V into the 10's
Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

youd be way better off either going with the typical blown/forged motor making 500+ or h/c/i on spray rather than doing this swap. hell even turbos would be easier than this swap in your case. but i guess if you want eye candy for shows then yea it "could" be a good idea but me personally, i wouldnt do it.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:37 PM
00' GT
2nd Gear Member

well, after all you guys input, and tons of research! i guess im goin w/the hellion turbo set up. all parts and k-member for bout $5k. so guess im gonna have my 4.6 rebuilt w/forged internals,invest in a 6-speed out of a termi, alum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, short throw shifter, new exhaust all the way out tha back, alum inake bigger throttle body upgrade my fuel delivery system, install and custom tune, and see what happens! what should i expect outta this set up far as rwhp? anyone else runnin somthing similiar to this? man i cant thank you guys enough for all your help, and advice! i'll start takin pics along my journey,and postin as i go!! thanks again guys!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:14 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

easily 550-600rwhp...or so i would think. get some heads and cams too

Quick Reply: how much trouble?