4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Which Short Throw Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Beamer03GT
1st Gear Member

Default Which Short Throw Shifter?

My girlfriend said she'd buy me a short throw shifter for my birthday so I picked out a few to choose from. My choices are as follows....

1. Steeda Tri-Ax
2. Pro 5.0
3. MGW

She will prolly say no to the MGW because it is a little bit more then the others but if I can get her to get me one of the 3 what do you guys think? I kindda was leaning to the Pro 5.0 but would like some feedback before getting one. Thanks guys!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:25 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

tri ax is a good one, I really like.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Beamer03GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
tri ax is a good one, I really like.
Ya my buddy's Mach has that one and I liked it too.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I have the MGW and love it. Of course, I haven't tried the other two, and anyone who has one them is going on their car is going to say they love it as well. Any one of the three is going to be far better than stock.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:00 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

All the short throw shifters out there are much better than stock and you will hear people swear by all of them because it really comes down to a personal preference thing - sort of like catbacks. I have the MGW and like it and I have friends with the tri-ax and like it too.

I can however say that I have heard of people switching from the tri-ax to the MGW and not the other way around. I also know that the MGW has a slightly shorter throw compared to the tri-ax.

HOWEVER, as I have read online and experienced myself many times, the MGW is sort of the "new school" smooth engagement but not so positive going into third kinda shifter. I have finally realized this and got used to it at the track so basically when I need to thrust it to 3rd I have to make a more an effort moving the **** to the right otherwise it will either go to 1st or jam between the 1/3 gear shift gates.

My other friend with a tri-ax recently switched to the MGW and he also said with the MGW you have to sort of pay more attention when you are speed shifting into 3rd.

It isn't really a problem anymore since I am pretty used to it but lets just say I've made some bad **** ups that could have caused me to blow my engine lol

I still like my MGW shifter though, but I have plans on trying other ones, namely the pro 5.0 or a Hurst.

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 06-07-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Beamer03GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
All the short throw shifters out there are much better than stock and you will hear people swear by all of them because it really comes down to a personal preference thing - sort of like catbacks. I have the MGW and like it and I have friends with the tri-ax and like it too.

I can however say that I have heard of people switching from the tri-ax to the MGW and not the other way around. I also know that the MGW has a slightly shorter throw compared to the tri-ax.

HOWEVER, as I have read online and experienced myself many times, the MGW is sort of the "new school" smooth engagement but not so positive going into third kinda shifter. I have finally realized this and got used to it at the track so basically when I need to thrust it to 3rd I have to make a more an effort moving the **** to the right otherwise it will either go to 1st or jam between the 1/3 gear shift gates.

My other friend with a tri-ax recently switched to the MGW and he also said with the MGW you have to sort of pay more attention when you are speed shifting into 3rd.

I still like my MGW shifter though, but I have plans on trying other ones, namely the pro 5.0 or a Hurst.
That is the first time I've ever heard of the 2-3 shift "thing" w/ the MGW. I've heard something similar like that w/ the Pro 5.0. Another thing I heard about the Pro 5.0 is that it kind of sux for just kindda taking it easy around town but kicks a$$ when you slam through the gears.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

MGW. had one in my mustang and luved it
Old 06-07-2009, 11:09 PM
2003gtstang
2nd Gear Member

Tri ax. I have one in my stang.
One of my buddies actually has a MGW. They are pretty similar and you wont notice too much a difference between the 2. But I have never had a problem with my tri ax
Old 06-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Beamer03GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2003gtstang
Tri ax. I have one in my stang.
One of my buddies actually has a MGW. They are pretty similar and you wont notice too much a difference between the 2. But I have never had a problem with my tri ax
Now THIS is what I've been waiting to hear!!! lol. I can save $30 and get this vs. getting the MGW
Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I would quite honestly dig up the $30 more bones to get the MGW over the tri-ax

Quick Reply: Which Short Throw Shifter?