MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   how much would a paint touch up cost?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/543515-how-much-would-a-paint-touch-up-cost.html)

PaintballFreak 06-10-2009 09:55 AM

how much would a paint touch up cost??

I'm thinking about selling the car and going for a 4v (:)) but I have probably 10 chips/scratches on the body just from road debris that I want to take care of. If I'm going to sell the car I don't want to spend a fortune on this but I think it will improve the value more than the cost of the touch up itself. But then again I don't know for sure.

I was thinking $100-$150.. what do you guys think it would cost me?

mrsinister2424 06-10-2009 10:41 AM

I have no idea. But it seems like you're being optimistic. That price seems really low to me

PaintballFreak 06-10-2009 10:53 AM

I'd rather not be an ass and use the touch up paint from autozone, but if it's going to cost much more than that, then that's what I'm going to do.

mrsinister2424 06-10-2009 11:12 AM

Yeah man I hear ya, but paint shops like to rape...so :icon_shrug:

ChalknCover 06-10-2009 11:20 AM

Dude, if you pay $150, you are getting raped. We make touchup all the time for $15-$20 a bottle., which is a couple bucks more than it costs us to make it. Any body shop that makes its own paint can do it. We have a system where we input how much we need and it tells us the formula. You apply it yourself. Call around to some local body shops and ask.

Also, in case you have never used touch up, you want to fill in the chip, not paint it. Just put a dab on the end of the brush and put it on the chip, do not brush it in, it will make it look funky.

PaintballFreak 06-10-2009 11:23 AM

Well I was thinking that price for the paint and labor. There is 1 scratch that is about a foot long on my bumper and I would rather pay a little extra to make sure it looks professional. Not much more than $100, though, would I be willing to pay.

Mustang3GT07 06-10-2009 11:39 AM

It cost me $45 for the pen from ford for my car. Just apply it and wax n buff the area. What kinda 4v you looking at getting?

PaintballFreak 06-10-2009 11:43 AM

A paint pen? That worked? Order from dealership or what?

Looking for a mach 1.. I might have found it too. DSG '04 with 24k :) I'd have to get mine sold before I move on it though.

04CompetitionOrange 06-10-2009 12:07 PM

Looks like I need to get me one of those paint pens. I have several chips / scrathes from renegade rocks on I 75.

Mustang3GT07 06-10-2009 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak (Post 6270525)
A paint pen? That worked? Order from dealership or what?

Looking for a mach 1.. I might have found it too. DSG '04 with 24k :) I'd have to get mine sold before I move on it though.

Yea I bought the paint pen from ford. I believe when I looked they only charged $30 for silver. You go to the parts department and tell then you need touch up paint pen, you can either give them you vin# or paint code. They didn't have my color in stock so I had to order it and it came in the next day so it don't take long.

After you apply it and let it dry wax and buff the area. No need to spend alot of money on a car your going to sell.