4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New GT Owner with Some Questions

Old 06-12-2009, 04:37 PM
lugomustang
1st Gear Member

Last edited by lugomustang; 06-12-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 PM
lugomustang
1st Gear Member

yea man i got mine for my 19th birthday but i got it early (last week) my bday is this wedn lol.. congrats BTW,,,dont always believe what your friends say,,and try not to go cheap with your new stang always get the best you can its worth it..take care of it
Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

F'in rich parents
Old 06-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

^^I was waiting for someone to post that response ha

Congrats on the car man. You should be able to buy RP at Pepboys, Autozone, Advance Auto etc.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Riggs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gif4445
F'in rich parents
I second that, i got a ****ty car I had to save up for ever to afford my Mustang. Just make sure you TAKE CARE OF IT. I know some people that had nice cars and just destroyed them because they don't know the F***ing value of a dollar...

Sorry for the quick rant.

Save up for some MODS!!! ;D
Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 PM
02GTPonyKid

Okay, I got the Royal Purple Synchromax at the local Autozone and the guy at the counter said it might be a good idea to flush the old stuff out. It made sense to me so I ran degreaser through the transmission fill hole until I couldn't see any more of the old fluid. I put the Royal Purple fluid in it and took it for a drive and it still grinds when I shift. I'm really scared now that I messed up the car only a week after I got it.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:52 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gif4445
F'in rich parents
Originally Posted by Riggs
I second that, i got a ****ty car I had to save up for ever to afford my Mustang. Just make sure you TAKE CARE OF IT. I know some people that had nice cars and just destroyed them because they don't know the F***ing value of a dollar...

Sorry for the quick rant.

Save up for some MODS!!! ;D
these jealousy posts make me lol.

FYI....GTs are not that expensive anymore. willing to bet he got it for under 9-8k.

OP: don't waste your money on royal purple. that stuff is way over priced. just toss in some ford mercon ATF and call it a day.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:59 PM
PowerShiftzGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
I think your only suppose to put in 3.25 quarts.
Correct. This is the TSB amount that ford updated. also

ONLY USE MERCON V (this is what ford recommends, any ATF fluid with Mercon V in it) You can not just put any transmission fluid in these kinds of trans. That may be the case with other transmission but not with ours. I use Valvoline ATF mercon V. also run threw the gears for a minute or so with the car turned off so you lubricate the gears before you start it up.

Now you are probably going to still experience problems with your trans. the TR3650 trans has problems with Syncros and Shift Forks. It's just a bad design. Also if you have a Thick carpet mat under your clutch rip that out. These clutches i have found need to be depressed all the way or else you'll get locked out of gears. I had a 1inch thick Rubber mat and little did i know that was the cause of all my clutch problems for about a year. I almost bought a new trans. thank god i didnt. Just a tip for you. also invest in a short throw if your car doesn't have one already. It will make driving the car much more enjoyable. I swear, once you miss 3rd a couple times just driving around time normally, you'll understand.

Alot of times if the transmission fluid is cold then the car will be hard to shift until it warms up. Hope this helps. Id read up on the TSB for the TR3650 transmission so you know what is normal and not.

Congrats on the Ride. I bought my Mineral Gray at 17 as well.

Last edited by PowerShiftzGT; 06-12-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Riggs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
these jealousy posts make me lol.

FYI....GTs are not that expensive anymore. willing to bet he got it for under 9-8k.

OP: don't waste your money on royal purple. that stuff is way over priced. just toss in some ford mercon ATF and call it a day.
I'm not jealous by any means... Just kids when I was still in high school. Kid wrecked his mustang 3 times... Every time his parents payed to have it fixed. I don't mind kids whose parents help them with cars, just as long as they know the value of a dollar and don't take everything for granted.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02GTPonyKid
Okay, I got the Royal Purple Synchromax at the local Autozone and the guy at the counter said it might be a good idea to flush the old stuff out. It made sense to me so I ran degreaser through the transmission fill hole until I couldn't see any more of the old fluid. I put the Royal Purple fluid in it and took it for a drive and it still grinds when I shift. I'm really scared now that I messed up the car only a week after I got it.
Nice job. Transmission fluid is easily contaminated with other materials and substances, especially when you run them through the tranny. Why the hell would you do that? If your buddy who "knows cars" thought it was a good idea, I'd find a new friend who "knows cars."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New GT Owner with Some Questions