4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4.10s and Tuner! NICE! lol.....oh and more pics :-)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Repzard, what RPM are you shifting at??? Our cars dont pull very hard after 5200rpm. So i suggest you shift right around there if not a little bit after and it will keep you in your powerband. And if your car still doesnt pull...there is something wrong with it. Anyone around here will tell you that 4.10's are a great gear and you will be sorry for going back almost to stock gears. You should be trapping in the low 100mph range and in 4th gear and plenty of people are still pulling at that point. So you might wanna check into your car a little bit more if its not pulling very hard past the 1/8th.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:47 AM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

i've got 3.73s in my car and they're a real good fit, but then again i'm pushing near double amount of power as a stock 4.6. when i was still n/a i wished i had gone with 4.10s, but now with the blower the 3.73s are just right.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:05 PM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I forget but what is the recomended break in period for gears? I've heard a few such as a few 10 minute rides
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by 02TrueBlueGT
I forget but what is the recomended break in period for gears? I've heard a few such as a few 10 minute rides

There is no break in period for FRPP gears. At all. At most the installer will run it a few thousand feet to make sure they dont make noise(to insure proper installation of shimming), then its anything goes, romp on it.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:03 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Recommended break-in period for any gears is 2 heat cycles. You should take your car out for a nice decent drive and let the rear heat up to running temp. Park it and let it cool back down. And then repeat. Thats what ive been told and i would never ever run something hard right from installation. Thats just begging for trouble in my book.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Recommended break-in period for any gears is 2 heat cycles. You should take your car out for a nice decent drive and let the rear heat up to running temp. Park it and let it cool back down. And then repeat. Thats what ive been told and i would never ever run something hard right from installation. Thats just begging for trouble in my book.
I'm sorry, but you are wrong. First of all, gears are heat treated when they are manufactured, so they do not require being heat treated after they are installed.

Secondly, the amount of heat generated in your rearend would NEVER be high enough to heat treat or harden gears. Steel needs to reach in excess of 2000 degrees to even come close to being hot enough to heat treat.

So what is your theory behind the "two heat cycles" thing?

And as far as not beating on things right after installation, I can't think of a good example of a component that would require a break in period, anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:50 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

That *** is so hot.
(No fun intended)
Old 06-20-2009, 09:26 AM
BHMustangGT
3rd Gear Member

Lol good luck on the job hunt. I received my associates degree last March and haven't found ****. Ended up joining the Air Force.

Car looks amazing...as usual lol. One of my fav's on this site for sure. Had no idea it was an auto...now I don't feel so lonely lol.

As far as the gears go, I'm still on the fence whether or not to do 3.73's or 4.10's. My guess is that your suggestion would be the 4.10's though. My buddy has a 99 GT auto w/ 3.73's and gave me a ride. Pulled quite a bit harder than my car and we're pretty close on mods. I need to find an auto around me w/ 4.10's so I can get a feel for them and make a decision.
Thanks, I haven't really started looking yet. I'm just enjoying the summer lol.. Hopefully I'll have some luck in finding a decent job, if not I'll continue with school.

And an auto with 4.10s is AWESOME!! I'd highly recommend 4.10s with a tuner! I know I'd be disappointed with 3.73s, the 4.10s seem perfect.

Well first and foremost, you have a VERY sexy car, i'm in love with everything except the spoiler...that doesnt do it for me. But the rear blackout, 281 badge, blacked out pony, etc.. i like it!

Secondly, the TB/Plenum is def. worth the money-not for the power increase, but the throttle response. For an AUTO like yourself, anything to decrease the time between your foot hitting the floor and your butt being stuck back in the seat is a godsend, and upgrading the TB/Plenum will do just that. It may be only a minor amount, but it is definitely noticeable and you wont be sorry you did it i promise. Also, +1 on the JLT for its appearance factor, best looking when painted to match the car IMO.

Lastly, what did you earn your degree in? Is it a Sciences or Arts degree?

Do you have a specific field of work in mind?
Thanks! I thought about the wingless look or the Cobra spoiler as well but ended up with a Saleen spoiler. I like the swept back look, reminiscent of a drag spoiler in a sense. I'd probably be just as happy wingless though lol

Ok cool, I'll definitely look into a TB/Plenum for my next mod. I'm not looking for insane power right now, just a fun all around DD.

My degree is an Associates in Business Administration with a focus in Operations Management. I also received two certificates, one in Logistics Management, and one in Total Quality Management... I mainly went into Bus. Admin. because I didn't know what I wanted to do as a career. With that degree it can almost be applied to any job/position.

*Concerning the break-in period*
I was told to be easy on it driving it home, then romp the shiz out of it the next day on. So I did just that lol... The gears feel factory installed, absolutely no gear whine or anything.

That *** is so hot.
(No fun intended)
You can look but not touch, she's mine lmao