4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Salvage Title

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:42 PM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

Unless you are going to drive it till the wheels fall off, don't mess with it.
^^+45

I'd say a big NO on the salvages.... There's deals out there man! Just have to look

I bought mine for 4800, never been wrecked. New paint job, and had some flows, upper plenum and TB on it already
Old 06-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Ron98Cobra
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrsinister2424
^^+45

I'd say a big NO on the salvages.... There's deals out there man! Just have to look

I bought mine for 4800, never been wrecked. New paint job, and had some flows, upper plenum and TB on it already
Good point, just keep looking and wait if you have too, I waited almost a year till I found the right the Cobra I wanted, and about a year to find the right Z06 I wanted too...
Old 06-26-2009, 11:52 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i live in OH

mine is salvage

insurance is np

99gt, 160k miles, and my car is valued around 4-5 with salvage title... i did 3500 dmg to it and they said i was close to totaling it, but cut me a check to fix it still

i have full coverage even though its salvage

cant get a loan on one though, unless you do personal loan
Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC316
Not in Texas it's not fine. The resale value drops out and dealers won't touch it on trade in. It doesn't matter if they repaired it out of pocket, that one word on the title KILLS the value.
You missed his point. What he was getting at is the car was "salvaged" but you would never know because he never reported it to the insurance company. I.E. if someone runs their car into a poll for whatever reason, doesn't want to report it to the insurance, replaces a whole front clip and whatever else he may have ruined out of pocket, whos gonna know? Yeah the car will be salvaged but the title will still be clear, THAT is what Fobra was getting at, i agree a salvage title does kill the value but there are cars out there that have been wrecked as bad as if not worse than some salvage title cars with, that have clear titles.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:35 AM
jdsalcedo

Originally Posted by JC316
I won't touch a salvage title with a 10 foot pole. Unless you are going to drive it till the wheels fall off, don't mess with it.

+1 above. there are better deals out there, plus there is a BIG safety issue. i've heard too many horror stories from tow truck drivers on how cars that had salvage titles basically shatter and kill everyone on board even on slow mph accidents, mostly because of the weakened frame and body from the first accident. i dont know the extent of the damage or the extent of repairs the car you're lookin at has, but IMHO salvage titles are too risky.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:05 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I had salvaged mustang before and it was nothing but a pain , Alot of them Orange title's are sh*t now because alot of the cars are coming from the area's that hurricane katrina hit so there pretty much junk. If your looking for something cheap to use just for abuse and fun then you cant go wrong with a salvaged mustang , other then that I wouldnt ever touch one again. Plus you can get a new edge from 4 to 6 grand easily now a days.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:20 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
You missed his point. What he was getting at is the car was "salvaged" but you would never know because he never reported it to the insurance company. I.E. if someone runs their car into a poll for whatever reason, doesn't want to report it to the insurance, replaces a whole front clip and whatever else he may have ruined out of pocket, whos gonna know? Yeah the car will be salvaged but the title will still be clear, THAT is what Fobra was getting at, i agree a salvage title does kill the value but there are cars out there that have been wrecked as bad as if not worse than some salvage title cars with, that have clear titles.
Oh, I got the point, hell I have had two cars like that. An 88 Silverado that was totaled, but just had the front clip replaced. Also had a Blazer that had the side crunched in, so me and my dad sawed the entire side off from another one and welded it on. Ran like that for years before finally going to the junkyard.

On both of those the titles were clear. I am never concerned with the damage on the car, I consider a used car an investment. The value just plunks off and you can't use it for collateral in a loan when it's been salvaged. That one little word on the title absolutely kills the value.

If I was just after a beater that I was going to drive the crap out of and then eventually sell to the scrapyard, then I would have no problem buying one with the salvaged title.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:19 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

OP, google "insurance auto auctions" they are nationwide and very legit. This is the company all major INS co use for their totaled vehicles. It is where we get all our salvage vehicles.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I'd pass...
Old 09-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Husker4Life

Default Concering a 2007 mustang gt

This 2007 has 2k miles on it. but has a rebuilt salvage title. they are selling it for 18,500 obo. what is the real value? how much would you take off for that kind of salvage title?

Quick Reply: Salvage Title