4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Explain the Magnaflow difference

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:45 AM
BlueMagic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
I think you should look into Pypes violators. They sound awesome.
So way I'm understanding is ditch the magnapack idea & gowith pypes 409 kit?

Then regardless for the xpipe if idont have the $$right away could ihold off tip next yr?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:12 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueMagic
So way I'm understanding is ditch the magnapack idea & gowith pypes 409 kit?

Then regardless for the xpipe if idont have the $$right away could ihold off tip next yr?

If you want something only a little louder,deeper, better tone, etc. than stock, the Magnaflows are probably for you. The Magnapacks are going to be a good bit louder and throatier...not quiet as deep and refined sounding.

I really depends on what you consider ideal! Once you start adding mid pipes (catted or off road) and headers (longtube or shortube) things change as well.

If you're doing a catback only, i would consider magnapacks, stingers, slp, sss, mac, etc. These are some of the louder mufflers for our cars. By themselves i don't think you'll find any of these too loud (with the possible exception of slp 1's and sss terminator's).

Do some research, and find what you like! Just remember that opinions vary greatly on here, as the ideal sound is a very individual preference.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:31 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

In my opinion, Pypes violators sound awesome. And no matter what midpipe you might choose to run later on down the road, the violators sound great. Heard them with o/r h pipe and o/r x pipe and they sound great either way. Magnaflow exhaust, no matter what catback it is, i think sounds bad. Too muffled and i dont like the "clap" noise as i call it that magnapacks make. Just my opinion. Like stated above, opinions vary greatly on this site. And this is just another one of those opinions. BHMustang has Violators and an o/r x. Maybe he will chime in an post a vid so you can hear it.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 PM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

Violators.....
Old 06-27-2009, 03:09 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I just made a video clip of my magnaflows https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...asap-guys.html
Old 06-28-2009, 12:10 AM
PowerShiftzGT
2nd Gear Member

Magnapacks are F'n Loud with an O/R Midpipe. and if you have LT headers then DAMN.

here is my car with mac O/R H pipe and magnapack Catback. I love my packs. They sound different in person (better). the camera just doesn't pick up what you hear in person for some reason. can't really explain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVeZb1WbLMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAYY9...eature=related

You may like it with an X pipe aswell. If you go with a X pipe with the magnapacks it will sound similar to a nascar type sound.

oh and i think regular magnaflows are pretty quiet WITHOUT and O/R Midpipe. Not much louder then stock. I mean it louder but not but much.

But for 359 @ Completeexhaust.com is a amazing deal. I know i couldn't pass it up so took that deal. You can get that deal for the regular magnaflows or the Magnapacks. But you really cant go wrong with either catback. They both sound great if you ask me and the fitment and quality is great. I do strongly suggest you use some Lock tight one the Exhaust tips adjustment screws though.

Last edited by PowerShiftzGT; 06-28-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:27 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

Magnapacks are F'n Loud with an O/R Midpipe. and if you have LT headers then DAMN.

here is my car with mac O/R H pipe and magnapack Catback. I love my packs. They sound different in person (better). the camera just doesn't pick up what you hear in person for some reason. can't really explain it.
Cameras never do exhaust justice :P

Pfft magnaflow....
Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

in my opinion magnaflows sound like total a$$ with a o/r midpipe. Been there done it and now back to a catted midpipe. They sound racy at high rpms but sound pretty much stock at idle. They are not very deep, more like nascar like someone else said. If I had my choice it would not be magnaflow.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush2002
in my opinion magnaflows sound like total a$$ with a o/r midpipe. Been there done it and now back to a catted midpipe. They sound racy at high rpms but sound pretty much stock at idle. They are not very deep, more like nascar like someone else said. If I had my choice it would not be magnaflow.
dude did you watch my video in post 15? Mine is deep, sounds nothing like nascar, you must have had an x pipe, I have an h pipe.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:22 PM
southfillyboy2p0

Originally Posted by PowerShiftzGT

You may like it with an X pipe aswell. If you go with a X pipe with the magnapacks it will sound similar to a nascar type sound.

oh and i think regular magnaflows are pretty quiet WITHOUT and O/R Midpipe. Not much louder then stock. I mean it louder but not but much.

But for 359 @ Completeexhaust.com is a amazing deal. I know i couldn't pass it up so took that deal. You can get that deal for the regular magnaflows or the Magnapacks. But you really cant go wrong with either catback. They both sound great if you ask me and the fitment and quality is great. I do strongly suggest you use some Lock tight one the Exhaust tips adjustment screws though.
Mine sounds like yours and I have an o/r x pipe.

Quick Reply: Explain the Magnaflow difference