4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Blue Oval Industries... Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Exclamation Blue Oval Industries... Buyer Beware

A very close friend of mine just had a terrible experience with Blue Oval Industries.. He's got a really nice car, its a 2000 GT MMR bottom end, Novi 2000, cams.. very nice setup. He is a very easy to get along with, educated, and knowledgeable guy that really didn't deserve this kind of treatment.

Just thought I'd share, here is a post he made on a local forum:

Two weeks ago I ordered a part from Blue Oval Industries in VA. I ordered the part over the phone by calling and asking if they had it in stock (I already knew the part number). I was told it was in stock and asked if I wanted to proceed with the purchase. I gave a CC number and that was the end of the call. I received the intake two days later without problem. During the shipping time I realized that I had ordered the wrong part and it was not what I wanted. So I took it (unopened) back to UPS and expected to ship it back to BOI with no problems except having to eat the shipping cost. I was ok with that.

I called them up and spoke to a man and asked what the procedure was and I was informed of a 15% restocking fee. I then asked him what that would cost on my item, 79$. I was floored. I asked him if there was anyway we could waive that or me pay like 20$ or something like that since the package was unopened. He refused and told me it was my responsibility to read the return policy. I replied,"read it where ?'. He then informed me it was on their website and on ebay auctions. I informed him that I didn't buy it via either of those avenue's of purchase and I should have been informed of this over the phone. It then got ugly. He asked me "what, are we supposed to tell every person that orders from us over the phone?". I was shocked that he even said that. Maybe I'm wrong but that sounds like a good idea to me. He said, "how am I supposed to pay the person to sell the item, ship it, receive it, and restock it?". I said I understand, but that doesn't cost 80$. Plus, what if it was a 10$ item in the same size box (because it wasn't large) doesn't that take the same amount of work? After constantly refusing to work with me I got angry and cursed a little (no calling names), and he hung up on me.

I called back and was made a mockery of. He asked ,"can I put you on speaker phone so all my employees can see the **** I have to deal with on a daily basis?". Shocked, I said, 'sure I don't give a crap.'. I tried to be calm and inform him that I was a veteran and try to win some respect or something so he would believe me. He then began to insult me by saying my daddy didn't raise me right using fowl language over the phone and calling me a liar because anyone in the military knows not to cuss like that! I was like, WTF, have you ever been in the military. Even chaplains cuss from time to time. Anyways, after a heated debate over my past purchase history and my military service I was hung up on again. I called back two more times and received the same abuse. Finally I called one more time and he agreed to a full refund but I had to fax him my release papers from the ARMY so he would believe me. After driving all the way back home to get my form DD-214, I faxed it to him and left UPS. I called about 20 minutes later to make sure he got it. As soon as he answered the phone I said, "thank you sir for understanding" and he just let me have it. Calling me a "****ty American" and "they must let any trash in the army these days, I can believe your an E5 you low life", "you are the reason America is in the shape its in today.". I then tried to get off the phone while constantly saying thank you and he continued to harass me. Finally I hung up the phone and that was the end of it. Two weeks later I finally get my refund after it had been sitting at their shop for a week. By the way, did I mention this was the owner of the company the whole time?

Since this he's bought a P51 intake which he's very happy with! It along with another pulley and around 18 psi should get him to the goals he wants I think!

Based on what he has went through, I would highly recommend everyone to really consider this story before buying with BOI

Last edited by Quicktime_GT; 07-07-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

i seen that over on corral and it is amazing some one would treat a customer like that
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

Thars enough for. Me to never buy from them again
Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 PM
stang04chris
2nd Gear Member

that sucks, i was gonna buy my cobra chin spoiler from them, im happy i didnt
Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

They just lost my business, and I was going to purchase the 03/04 cobra bumper set they have that comes with the chin spoiler and foglights. Oh well 600 bucks out the window for them, guess the owner of that company didnt realize theres this thing called the internet and mustang owners are probably the most tight knit group of enthuisiasts on the planet. Screw 1 or 2 customers and you'll lose tons of business these days, word can travel too fast.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Wow...don't think I'll be shopping with them either.

I cannot believe that your buddy had to fax him his release papers. I hope he files a report with the BBB.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

wow...note to self, never buy from them
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 PM
lasco10
2nd Gear Member

that is ridiculous! i am never even going to think about buying from there after hearing that.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:21 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

This really is an outrage.....i'm glad the guy got the refund. What really makes me mad is that a businessman (BOI) would say something like that to a guy that served in the US Army. Some ppl might not think to highly of the war, but dammit they should respect the soldiers.

I was just looking at getting about $300 worth of stuff from them.....not anymore and thank god.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Looks like I will be sticking with American Muscle , I will never buy from BOI again. Speaking to a fellow solider like that makes me sick , I hope this message gets around on all the forums and sites so they loose a major chunk of change.

Quick Reply: Blue Oval Industries... Buyer Beware