4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

need info for a drag race

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:10 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

^--- +1

If I were you, I'd go around the water box until you learn how to launch and warm up your tires correctly.
Hell, if anything, when you finished staging, wait for third yellow light to light up, GREEN, then go. You're not looking for time just yet, but learn to launch and read the lights (X-mas tree).

Last edited by 01GTDropTop; 07-11-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:48 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

^ id go around the waterbox nomatter what on street tires....

and rob granted my car has a bit more power than a stock GT i got sideways as hell at my track on 275s, yes my track isn't great to say the LEAST, but if this kid goes up and does a 10 second burnout on street tires there gonna get slippery(which he probably would have if not for this post.) and they won't hold.

idk u could go on whatever, but don't expect to run better than a 14.5s, and i feel thats being generous, not only are the tires skinny, the 18s are slowing you down, be ready for a couple 15s and possibly even a 16 second pass or two.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:09 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bacofield
yea, Besides racing the biggest thing I'm most concerned about is safety. My girlfriend has never been to the track before and she wants the adrenaline rush. The last thing I want to do is go sideways. I never dragged with my stang, and its a stick, so I never tried dragging with a manual either. I'm not planning going to crazy with them, but if its better to get Radial drags, I can probably find some on craigslist for a hundred bucks or something
don't tell me she plans on riding shotgun during the pass...
Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

i dont even go through the water box when im running my slicks and skinnies. absolutely no reason why anybody on street tires should go through the water box

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
^ id go around the waterbox nomatter what on street tires....

and rob granted my car has a bit more power than a stock GT i got sideways as hell at my track on 275s, yes my track isn't great to say the LEAST, but if this kid goes up and does a 10 second burnout on street tires there gonna get slippery(which he probably would have if not for this post.) and they won't hold.

idk u could go on whatever, but don't expect to run better than a 14.5s, and i feel thats being generous, not only are the tires skinny, the 18s are slowing you down, be ready for a couple 15s and possibly even a 16 second pass or two.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Is there a place where they talk about drag racing? This is a topic that I don't know anything about it and would like to go to the track soon.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:09 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Is there a place where they talk about drag racing? This is a topic that I don't know anything about it and would like to go to the track soon.
what do you need to know?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:24 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

What are you talking about when you say drive around the water box? How do you properly warm your tires up for the track? How do you prevent turning sideways?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:36 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

when u pull up to the staging lane youll see a puddle of water on each lane. go around the puddle while not getting your tires wet. get in front of the puddle, back up enough to get your back tires wet. spin your tires every so briefly (maybe once or twice), pull forward and do a very mild burnout. pull up the tree. most tracks have a cone or marking that shows where your front tire should go. once you get there the top yellow light should illuminate. pull forward about another inch and the second light should illuminate. now your staged and ready. the light sequence should begin after that and it goes yellow yellow green. go on green. as long as you dont rev the car to 5k and dump the clutch off the line you shouldnt spin too bad. it takes practice practice pratice.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:43 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

^ Thanks!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:45 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

anytime

Quick Reply: need info for a drag race