4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My 4v swapped GT **PIC**

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Default My 4v swapped GT **PIC**

Well, I started up the car for the first time in about 7 months. I don't know who was following me with my 4v swap, but I got it so that it runs. It's by no means driveable (especially since I don't have a throttle cable, but I took a pic and figured I'd make a thread and post about what I did exactly.

I got a set of 01 Cobra heads, ported them a bit, changed the valve springs and retainers. I'm using a Mach 1 intake manifold, ported to match the gaskets, nothing crazy, probably going with a Sullivan short runner this winter. And I got a set of custom ground HUGE cams from Jim Cushman. If you want cams, go with Jim. He's a great guy to deal with, and the cams sound SICK.

Those were the only BIG things needed for the swap. I spent most of my money there.

The rest of what you need is:

-Valve covers
-COP's
-Throttle body
-Throttle cable
-Timing cover (I used a 96-98 Cover and needed a tensioner and belt also)
-Secondary timing chains+tensioners (mine came on the heads)
-Exhaust manifolds
-Coolant crossover
-Thermostat housing
-Basically all the radiator hoses. I made a few, and had to buy one (the one from the crossover to the t-stat housing)
-Fuel rails
-Alternator
-Connector end for alternator

I re-used my stock GT PCM and wiring harness. The harness is pretty much the same, I just extended my COP wires and reversed the polarity. I also had to extend my TPS, IAC, and ECT connector wires. No biggy. And I had to get a different connector end for the alternator.

So really this swap isn't all that difficult. And I did it in the car. A lot of people told me it was going to be a nightmare doing the 4v motor in the car. I guess for people who don't do this kind of stuff too often it would suck, but I work at a Caddy/Buick/GMC dealer, and compared to some of the ****ed up designs by GM, this whole thing was a cakewalk. The hardest part was the dip stick tube. Putting it back in I gave up and bought a flexible one from Jegs.

It runs right now, but it's all vacuum leaks. I need an air intake (JLT is the cheapest, so I'll go with that), then I'll fab up some vacuum lines, throw a couple breather filters on the valve covers, and it should run better. Then I'll need a throttle cable.

Right now to get it to idle, I have to have someone else turn the key and I need to play with the throttle and I can get it to stay running around 1000rpms.

Here's a pic:

I'll try and get a video of the idle after I get the lines and intake all set.

Hopefully this will put an end to the hear-say everyone just regurgitates about swapping a 4v top end onto a 2v block and how hard it is.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:07 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Nice job did u reuse the stock bottom end did u degree the cams
Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Yeah, stock 2v bottom end. I just wanted to get the actual swap portion done and running. All the custom fab stuff is done and I won't have to worry about buying stupid little parts anymore. I'm swapping the shortblock this winter hopefully. I just wanted to get it running so I can enjoy it for the warm months left before it comes back apart.

And yes, I degreed them.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Old 07-15-2009, 07:39 PM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

NICE !!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:59 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

sick dude!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:59 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

nice job, should be alot of fun
Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Sweet!! Glad to hear its coming together
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Oh, and if anyone was wondering, those valve covers were powdercoated by BraMas. He did an awesome job on them. The pics don't really do them justice. You have to see them in person under the sunlight.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:41 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Good job!!!

I heard that using 4V heads on a stock 2V bottom end will lower compression by a point. What are you planning on doing about that? or do you have plans for F/I?

Quick Reply: My 4v swapped GT **PIC**