4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

So my car is in the shop, new upgrades being planned

Old 07-18-2009, 02:21 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Wink So my car is in the shop, new upgrades being planned

Ok so my car is in the shop getting some much needed upgrades. A family friend is doing the install so its on the cheap (hence why I am not doing anything myself). Things being installed are KC Clutch, Mach 1 front springs, poly isos, new plugs, hollowing out my midpipe(a cat is rattling like a biyatch), tranny flush, 10th aniv cobra brakes and a few other little things.

If you having noticed what I am doing by now ill let ya in on a secret... When something needs to be replaced it gets replaced with cobra stuff(or equivalent mach 1 parts). I am not planning a "fobra" I just want the cobra performance parts because they are...better lol. while I like the way cobra body parts look, I own a GT and it will always look like a GT save for a hood. I once wanted to do a roush 380 conversion but its pretty much the same principal as cobra stuff so i am not going to do it.

Next plans for the car are as follows: T56 swap, IRS(been looking for...months and months and months...i will eventually find one) and a 4 valve 99-01 cobra motor with mach 1 intake and 96-98 cobra cams. Like most of you know, the vert will never ever ever ever ever see a f/i mod of any kind so Im keeping it simple.

I made this thread to bounce ideas around with you guys on some stuff.

a) How much bracing needs to be done on a 99-01 IRS(planning for the worst possible scenario..I will be going with a 03-04 if possible) with the motor mods I have planned? There will be full bolt ons on the car of course. I am thinking 4.30 gears for sure, especially with a higher reving 4v.

b) Typical t56 cost is around what 3k with all the parts(not including labor)?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:33 AM
01snake
5th Gear Member

i was looking at the t-56 and have been told to stay away from them (even with 26 spline input shaft) when they get around 700hp they can still break

as for the IRS if your into drag racing id stay FAR away..but if not get a IRS brace and new derlin bushings. if its a 01 IRS make sure you upgrade your halfshafts to 03/04 01's have 28 spline shafts while the 03/04 have 31 spline

and if you do get a 01 4v do it right and get the cams best for what you want to do with the car (comp stg 1-3 or custom grind etc..) dont waste money to go back and redo everything. might be a wise move to have the motor built before throwing it in also
Old 07-18-2009, 02:37 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01snake
i was looking at the t-56 and have been told to stay away from them (even with 26 spline input shaft) when they get around 700hp they can still break

as for the IRS if your into drag racing id stay FAR away..but if not get a IRS brace and new derlin bushings. if its a 01 IRS make sure you upgrade your halfshafts to 03/04 01's have 28 spline shafts while the 03/04 have 31 spline

and if you do get a 01 4v do it right and get the cams best for what you want to do with the car (comp stg 1-3 or custom grind etc..) dont waste money to go back and redo everything. might be a wise move to have the motor built before throwing it in also
All I do is auto x.. drag racing is lame.

Have you ever seen what 96-98 cams do in the newer heads? Its a decent upgrade for the 100 bucks that you pay. All I am looking for is around 320 to the wheels.. i dont need to spend 1k on cams to get that lol.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Ok so my car is in the shop getting some much needed upgrades. A family friend is doing the install so its on the cheap (hence why I am not doing anything myself). Things being installed are KC Clutch, Mach 1 front springs, poly isos, new plugs, hollowing out my midpipe(a cat is rattling like a biyatch), tranny flush, 10th aniv cobra brakes and a few other little things.

If you having noticed what I am doing by now ill let ya in on a secret... When something needs to be replaced it gets replaced with cobra stuff(or equivalent mach 1 parts). I am not planning a "fobra" I just want the cobra performance parts because they are...better lol. while I like the way cobra body parts look, I own a GT and it will always look like a GT save for a hood. I once wanted to do a roush 380 conversion but its pretty much the same principal as cobra stuff so i am not going to do it.

Next plans for the car are as follows: T56 swap, IRS(been looking for...months and months and months...i will eventually find one) and a 4 valve 99-01 cobra motor with mach 1 intake and 96-98 cobra cams. Like most of you know, the vert will never ever ever ever ever see a f/i mod of any kind so Im keeping it simple.

a) How much bracing needs to be done on a 99-01 IRS(planning for the worst possible scenario..I will be going with a 03-04 if possible) with the motor mods I have planned? There will be full bolt ons on the car of course. I am thinking 4.30 gears for sure, especially with a higher reving 4v.

That actually sounds like a very tasteful mod list , Unique and not lame. That engine swap sounds pretty slick too with the Sn95 cobra cams , What the advantages over the stock cams ?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
That actually sounds like a very tasteful mod list , Unique and not lame. That engine swap sounds pretty slick too with the Sn95 cobra cams , What the advantages over the stock cams ?
I dont know the specifics of why they are better but I do know its a 10-20rwhp mod. I learned about it a few months ago.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:54 AM
01snake
5th Gear Member

if you get a 4v you can pull 330rwhp+/- with just bolt ons man no need for any cams
Old 07-18-2009, 02:56 AM
01snake
5th Gear Member

I dont know the specifics of why they are better but I do know its a 10-20rwhp mod. I learned about it a few months ago.
its because the 97/98 cams are the most aggressive

97/98>99/01>03/04
Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

you don't need to do much bracing at all. The steeda rear girdle/brace thing, and some bushings, and your set for quite a while.

The T-56 cost me around 4500 after everything, but that was a viper spec, I don't know what the standard one cost, although Tremec just released the Magnum T-56, so hey, it might go down. Who knows, either way, I love it
Old 07-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Just to let you know, to get that extra power out of the 96-98 cams, you have to degree them properly. You can't just throw them in their, line up the timing marks, and call it a day. So I'd get adjustable cam gears. It makes degreeing SOOO much easier. Believe me.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:53 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

i need to do that with mine, it is driving me nuts, if i did, would just turning the sensors off on my xcal allow me to pass emissions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So my car is in the shop, new upgrades being planned