4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:45 PM
NATE DOGG

Exclamation exhaust questions

i want to buy mufflers cuz i dont have any right now. also what is some good mufflers to get with and H pipe? thanks

Last edited by NATE DOGG; 07-26-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:06 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Exhaust selection really depends on: 1) purpose (street driving, racing- RE power and absorption type), 2) sound level (how loud do you want it? , 3) price (there are some very expensive mufflers out there).

After you figure these things out- you can determine your exhaust size (diameter), and then what type of absorption you want. The basic types: glasspack, turbo, chambered, perforated tube or screen (without packing). Many mufflers use a combination, but some still use only one type of sound absorption- each has a different flow rate and sound control.

Hopefully this helps- you can always send me a message for anything specific.

Brands that I prefer: Borla, Flowmaster, Walker (Dynomax, Thrush), Cherry Bomb (old school style), Magnaflow, Flowtech and Thermal R&D.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

A lot of people really like Flowmaster 40s with an H pipe. Depends on what kind of sound you want though...
Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 PM
NATE DOGG

Originally Posted by socalwrench
Exhaust selection really depends on: 1) purpose (street driving, racing- RE power and absorption type), 2) sound level (how loud do you want it? , 3) price (there are some very expensive mufflers out there).

After you figure these things out- you can determine your exhaust size (diameter), and then what type of absorption you want. The basic types: glasspack, turbo, chambered, perforated tube or screen (without packing). Many mufflers use a combination, but some still use only one type of sound absorption- each has a different flow rate and sound control.

Hopefully this helps- you can always send me a message for anything specific.

Brands that I prefer: Borla, Flowmaster, Walker (Dynomax, Thrush), Cherry Bomb (old school style), Magnaflow, Flowtech and Thermal R&D.
just for street driving... i already have an h pipe. and i want like on a low to loud scale i want inbetween medium and high lol. and my exhaust size is 2.5. and idk whatkind of absorption i want?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:48 PM
NATE DOGG

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
A lot of people really like Flowmaster 40s with an H pipe. Depends on what kind of sound you want though...
i want a lil louder and a lil raspier than flow 40's. and i also dont want them cuz everyone and there mother have them on there mustang lol
Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 PM
NATE DOGG

and i got everything stock besides a h pipe mid pipe. all i would have to do is by two mufflers and weld them in place right?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

SLP loudmouth 2 would be want your looking for.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:15 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

If you want raspy, get rid of the h pipe and get an x pipe. Then if you want a 7/10 on the loud scale without cats, you dont wanna go past a flowmaster 40 series. So something like the regular magnaflow mufflers would do the trick or SLP powerflos or regular Borla mufflers. Also, steeda catback might be something you wanna look into as well.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:17 PM
NATE DOGG

Originally Posted by teej281
If you want raspy, get rid of the h pipe and get an x pipe. Then if you want a 7/10 on the loud scale without cats, you dont wanna go past a flowmaster 40 series. So something like the regular magnaflow mufflers would do the trick or SLP powerflos or regular Borla mufflers. Also, steeda catback might be something you wanna look into as well.
i think im leaning torward the slp powerflos..but where is a good place to get them for cheap?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:17 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

If you want just mufflers that are very loud, but still very deep with a good tone, look into SSS Terminator mufflers.

Quick Reply: exhaust questions