4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Vertical Core Vs. Horizontal Core Intercooler(ebay)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Default Vertical Core Vs. Horizontal Core Intercooler(ebay)

Just wanted to let everyone know some information about the vertical vs horizontal core intercoolers.

The vertical core intercoolers are the ones like procharger sells where the air passages are short and in abundance

The horizontal core intercoolers are the ones like what are in the ebay kits.

From what I've read the vertical intercoolers have better flow because there are twice as many passages for the air to travel through(top to bottom), and the passages are half as long. This intercooler is not as efficient at cooling the air charge in high boost applications.

The horrizontal intercoolers flow slightly less because the passages are fewer and twice as long. This style intercooler is better for cooling the air charge in high boost applications

A week ago I dyno'd my car and it made 430 consistently in around 85* shop temp with the horizontal core.

On saturday I dyno'd my car and it made 450 with 400 rpm left to go and I ran out of fuel. The shop temp was 100* This was with the vertical core.

This was with no adjustements of the tune, just switching out the intercoolers.

I'm throwing in dual focus pumps with week and then finding out what it makes at full rpm. I hope to hit 470 on a cool morning.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 AM
fausty
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info as I was looking into info on this exact same thing during the weekend.Obviously the ebay ic would be cheaper but what did the vertical intercooler run you? What size pulley are you using?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fausty
Thanks for the info as I was looking into info on this exact same thing during the weekend.Obviously the ebay ic would be cheaper but what did the vertical intercooler run you? What size pulley are you using?
it's this intercooler with the opposite facing end tank option:

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...es+Intercooler

I'm running a 2.9 pulley.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:00 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

did i read soemthing wrong or is the info backwards in what you typed? Seems like you are saying that the intercooler you switched to helped you out, but right above the very same one you said wasnt as good?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
did i read soemthing wrong or is the info backwards in what you typed? Seems like you are saying that the intercooler you switched to helped you out, but right above the very same one you said wasnt as good?

The vertical core that I switched to flows air better and makes more power, but the IAT's go up a bit because it isn't as efficient at cooling. For me I'd rather make more horsepower than have 10* cooler intake temps.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I understand now, I went back and re-read it, knowing what you just said about intake temps it makes sense. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:18 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I stickied this thread because there is some good info on here about intercoolers and a lot of people have been piecing together their own s/c kits and thought this might be thought provoking. Also, visit the link below for more info. Same post but over on SVTP they got more info to throw around.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...oler-ebay.html
Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

that makes since, most of the cooling in a inner-cooler occurs within 1/3 of the length of flow. there are many more rows with vertical flow then horizontal if its wider then tall. Also you want to look into the ducting on the entrance of the intercooler. You want to get one with plates that divert the air flow even across the rows or else some rows wont be used as heavily as others.