4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need opinions before I orders blackout overlays and wheel spacers please...

Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Default Need opinions before I orders blackout overlays and wheel spacers please...

Ok so the car is mineral grey and I am thinking of ordering some vinyl blackouts for the rear section between te tail lights and also the small sunk in area in front of the hood scoop where it dips in. I just can't decide if I should go flat black or gloss. I am kind of digging the gloss more to be honest. What do you guys think? How hard are these to put on? Who would you buy them from yourself? I was thinking of installing them the way I have seen stripes done by taping them in place then removing the backing?

Wheel spacers: I have stock grey bullits and want to move them out to get rid of that tucked in look. I can't decide between 1 inch or 1. inches. I know I should only buy hubcentric ones. I do plan to add larger rear tires down the road. Pretty sure I will be doing that before I end up actually upgrading wheels later on. I want to make sure what ever spacer I get will still look okay with larger tires. Plan to try and stretch a good size rubber over the stockers.

Is there any other mod in the same price range that you think I should to first? I would like to find some easy to install and reasonable priced exst tips also but those may wait. Please give me opinions. I can handle it
Old 07-29-2009, 12:11 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I have a 04 gt (dark shadow grey) and did the gloss black vinyl piece that sits in front of the hood scoop. I bought mine from American Muscle. It's super easy to install and looks really good. Just use alot of soapy water, and make sure your in a controlled enviornment. You don't want any wind, possible debris, etc. I also did the black letter decal on the scoop, which complements the other piece very well too. It'll look great with the chin spoiler and grill delete.

The reason i did the gloss vs flat was because of price, availability, and ease of care and maintainence. I think you'd be happy either way. They both look great when done tastefully, and on the right color car.

I saw your other post on the wheel spacers, and gave my thoughts on that, so i won't bore you with it again
Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

Gloss. Yes its easy. And 1.5" spacer, if you really want one. It'll look stupid from the rear though.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Gloss for sure, dont waste your time with the spacers tho. really not safe IMO.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 AM
pikuoff
2nd Gear Member

I got my gloss black hood decal from CJPonyParts. It was easy to put on...as the others said, use lots of soapy water (I used a spray bottle with water, 2 drops of dawn dish soap and a capful or 2 of rubbing alcohol). I've thought about doing the space between the taillights but havent decided if it would look right on my car.

I can't find any good pics of it on my PC here at work but these may help (fyi, I have a black hood scoop to go with mine):

Old 07-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Couple thoughts on wheels spacers here...

You cannot just install a 1" or 1.5" spacer and just be OK on clearances. You have to consider several things PRIOR to going with them:

What is the off-set of front wheels?
What is the off-set of rear wheels?
How wide a tire am I to run on front/rear?
How will the scrub radius be effected on the fronts?
How wide can one go before you need to replace the lug-bolts?

I run a set of 1/2" spacers out back on my ride but was 100% positive my tires/wheels would NOT rub PRIOR to installation. I have also replaced my lug-bolts with longer/stronger ones to have improved thread count on each lug-nut as well as safety for my AX days.

I recommend you just wait and purchase wheels that are wider and meant to fit your ride with the tires you like.

Jazzer
Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

I would go with Gloss... Pikuoff's car looks great!! now i know what mine will look like, thanks pikuoff!!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
pikuoff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ryan86272
I would go with Gloss... Pikuoff's car looks great!! now i know what mine will look like, thanks pikuoff!!
Thanks!

Here is one of my favs at the moment, until I can get some better pics (too busy doing other go fast/suspension mods to worry about cleaning her up and getting some new pics):
Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Very nice I hate how MG never shows up correctly in pics unless you are like a **** hot photographer lol. You are for sure giving me some ideas! Also for the negative responses on the spacers: I have seen a ton of posts from other people running them for years with no problems as long as you get hubcentric and not lugcentric. I think they should work just fine with no issues. don't see how it would look dumb from the rear. I mean the stock setups looks way gay from the rear. Also I jsut can't afford new wheels while I am up here. Ever checked shipping prices for wheels to Alaska? lol
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
Very nice I hate how MG never shows up correctly in pics unless you are like a **** hot photographer lol. You are for sure giving me some ideas! Also for the negative responses on the spacers: I have seen a ton of posts from other people running them for years with no problems as long as you get hubcentric and not lugcentric. I think they should work just fine with no issues. don't see how it would look dumb from the rear. I mean the stock setups looks way gay from the rear. Also I jsut can't afford new wheels while I am up here. Ever checked shipping prices for wheels to Alaska? lol
In my personal experience the hubcentric adapters were fine. I ran them for a while with no issues whatsoever.

When i said they didn't look good from the rear, i didn't mean they looked worse than stock. The stockers look to skinny and tucked in, and with 1+ inch adapters the skinny tires look to pushed out. Kind of like having skinny bowedlegs with a upper body that's too big...if that makes sense...lol.

Since i hated the stock and 1 inch adapter setup, i settled on 1/4 inch spacers at that time. While still not ideal, it was a better overall look IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need opinions before I orders blackout overlays and wheel spacers please...