4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How would my car do against a 04 GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roadster
3.73's = you win. The '04 GTO's are LS1. I got in a race with one earlier this year from a light and blasted him for about a quarter mile. He started catching up to me after that, and would have passed me if we kept going. I also regularly beat my friends 2001 auto Z28.

The outcome with the GTO is exactly what I expected. My gears give me a big advantage off the line. His higher HP lets him catch me at the top end. If we had of went from a roll, he would have won. Raw numbers are not everything when it comes to the quarter mile.

By the way, I remember when the new edges were new, every magazine was getting the same times out of them. Basically 14.0 to 14.1 at 100 MPH. I think the 3.73's alone are worth four tenths in the quarter. That puts you right in the range of a stock '04 GTO, and most stock Z28's.

My real world results seem to back this up.

This is funny, considering every magazine and website I have been to so far rates the 5.7 GTO at a 14 flat. The 6.0 however has been listed as 13.5-13.7. So, either way, he definitely won't be beaten by 2 car lengths unless he can't drive.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I really think the op has this one if he does full bolt ons w/gears, and they both hook, and both can drive. You figure the goat is 500 lbs. heavier with less gear, and probably only a 40 hp difference at that point.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Roadster

Think about it. You say a stock LS1 5.7L GTO is 14 flat. I say stock GT is the same. My GT has 3.73's which I believe are worth 4 tenth's in my car. That would put me at 13.6. Which is LS2 6.0L GTO kind of times.

So what is your point?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Think about it. You say a stock LS1 5.7L GTO is 14 flat. I say stock GT is the same. My GT has 3.73's which I believe are worth 4 tenth's in my car. That would put me at 13.6. Which is LS2 6.0L GTO kind of times.

So what is your point?

I assume your replying to me, and what you just stated, is my point. lol. I wasn't disagreeing with you about the mustang winning, rather reaffirming it. I was just pointing out that it was humerous that the magazines said the same thing then about the mustang as they did about the 5.7 when it came out, both at 14 flat. Either way you put it, that GTO has no real advantage over him in a dig race.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

3.73's = you win. The '04 GTO's are LS1. I got in a race with one earlier this year from a light and blasted him for about a quarter mile. He started catching up to me after that, and would have passed me if we kept going. I also regularly beat my friends 2001 auto Z28.

The outcome with the GTO is exactly what I expected. My gears give me a big advantage off the line. His higher HP lets him catch me at the top end. If we had of went from a roll, he would have won. Raw numbers are not everything when it comes to the quarter mile.

By the way, I remember when the new edges were new, every magazine was getting the same times out of them. Basically 14.0 to 14.1 at 100 MPH. I think the 3.73's alone are worth four tenths in the quarter. That puts you right in the range of a stock '04 GTO, and most stock Z28's.

My real world results seem to back this up.
Wow, I'm surprised this post lasted as long as it did.

No offense, and I really mean that, I'm not going to try to sound like a douche, BUT, your car is a New Edge GT with 3.73's and you are claiming that you've laid waste to a 5.7 GTO, and regularly beat your friends LS1 Z28.

ANYONE who frequents a vehicular performance site KNOWS that LS1's are VERY VERY rarely mid 13 second cars. I'm being modest saying that they're usually a 13.2-13.4 range. Several on this site have gone a tick or two faster than that.

Now, for your car. MOST New Edge GT owners bone stock have trouble touching 14.0's. It's possible, but not as common as you might think. Since you listed no times in your post, or in your signature, I'm certain that it is safe to say you've never had your car to the track. This negates any claims you might have because we have no idea how well you drive your car, nor how poorly your friend drives his Auto Z28.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you're just claiming some things that usually don't add up.

As for gears adding a 4/10s of a second in the quarter mile. Perhaps, if you add them with DR's and allow the car to get out of the hole. Again, most drivers with gears will launch equal to the way they did before gears at best. Most go out ,attempt to launch, and have a fry fest with their tires.

So, if I gave my input on the race it would o something like this. For the first few races it might be close from a dig until he learns to drive the car.

Once you're equal drivers, it's probably going to go to the GTO more often than not.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

LS1 or not...that's 4k lbs of junk...thats alot of weight to get moving dont you think? The goat is alot heavier than the maro's were.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:16 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

They're still mid to high 13 second cars though.

I'm not saying he can't win like others. And from a dig it especially shouldn't be a slaughter, but I think it still might be the GTO's race.

I went 13.6 with my car. I'm not too sure I would be confident against a bone stock '04 GTO on the street.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

hmmm...guess we will see.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
Wow, I'm surprised this post lasted as long as it did.

No offense, and I really mean that, I'm not going to try to sound like a douche, BUT, your car is a New Edge GT with 3.73's and you are claiming that you've laid waste to a 5.7 GTO, and regularly beat your friends LS1 Z28.

ANYONE who frequents a vehicular performance site KNOWS that LS1's are VERY VERY rarely mid 13 second cars. I'm being modest saying that they're usually a 13.2-13.4 range. Several on this site have gone a tick or two faster than that.

Now, for your car. MOST New Edge GT owners bone stock have trouble touching 14.0's. It's possible, but not as common as you might think. Since you listed no times in your post, or in your signature, I'm certain that it is safe to say you've never had your car to the track. This negates any claims you might have because we have no idea how well you drive your car, nor how poorly your friend drives his Auto Z28.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you're just claiming some things that usually don't add up.

As for gears adding a 4/10s of a second in the quarter mile. Perhaps, if you add them with DR's and allow the car to get out of the hole. Again, most drivers with gears will launch equal to the way they did before gears at best. Most go out ,attempt to launch, and have a fry fest with their tires.

So, if I gave my input on the race it would o something like this. For the first few races it might be close from a dig until he learns to drive the car.

Once you're equal drivers, it's probably going to go to the GTO more often than not.
I tend to agree. I have an exceptionally fast NPI car(0-60MPH in 6.1 seconds) and I can keep up with the PI GT's for a good while, but I got my doors sucked off by a bone stock LS1 Z28 with two people in the car. Those LS1's are demons, even being in a porker of a car.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
I'm going with the GTO all the way on this!
I must agree with you.
those GTO's are pretty darn quick and share the same motor as the vette.
Believe its a LS1 or LS2

I think you cobra would beat him

Last edited by Repzard; 08-03-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: How would my car do against a 04 GTO?