4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Wanting to go from 2005 Audi S4 to a Terminator

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Devitan

Default Wanting to go from 2005 Audi S4 to a Terminator

So, I have a 2005 Audi S4 with all the mods and whatnot. My first car was a V6 mustang. I loved it, but after 7 years I had to get rid of it and I went with the S4. I love my S4. Luxury, class, and it sounds great. No it will never be as fast as a Mustang and that IS a problem. I don't want to go crazy with mods, but I have always wanted a Cobra. The sound is just amazing. That and I love mustang style.

Anyways...how the hell are 2003/04 mustang cobras worth more than my luxury S4....I know supply and demand and all but jeez. I am hoping to find a stock terminator with under 35k on the odo. I just plan on doing the pulley, exhaust, chip, and CAI for starters. I am sure my mod addiction will lead me to do more.

Anyways. As a forum user, I have already searched and found some GREAT info. Was hoping for a few more things. People say after 100k on the odo the Cobras are done for? Has anyone gone from a luxury car back to a Cobra? How was that? I hear good snow tires make it possible to use this as a DD even in the northeast. We will see.

My biggest thing is that people want 25k+ for their Cobras. (And they are conv!!! I want a coupe!!!) I mean isn't this a bit high seeing as how the kbb is 19 and for my S4 it's 22.

Anyways TIA all.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Not many people consider an S4 a "fun" car. Sure the numbers are there on paper but they are so blah IMO. 03-04 cobras have a legacy attached to them. Can a S4 say that?

Value is based on a person's perception of what they consider important. Obviously the majority of people Value the cobra over the S4. I can't think of anything that stands out on the S4 for me to even notice it if I were to see one on the road.

Oh and when it comes to prices on KBB and Edmunds when dealing with a very niche car, those prices don't take into account market value. They take into account "depreciated" value. Market value trumps depreciated value every time. Look at the mark up of new cars. The Camaro SS, the 05 Mustang when it first came out, heck, even the GTO when it first came out. 40K+ for one of them...people paid it.

So, do your research, get a carfax for any car you consider. Coupe's are getting harder to find as I'm sure you've found. The best time to buya RWD is during the winter when people don't want to have to store their car or have a beater they drive in snow. Right now is prime driving time so happy hunting!
Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i havnt heard anything about that 100k cobras are done. the ford 4.6's are very reliable as long as you keep good maintenance. as far as price i would not pay more than 20k for a 03/04 cobra with mild bolt ons and lower miles. but thats just me.

also i had my gt for two winters back when i lived in ct, and i would NOT want to drive it even with snow tires in the snow. i did drive the car regularly in the winter, just not during bad weather. one time with crappy all seasons it took me 45min to get the car back into the driveway after i backed it out to try to get it into the garage. i have drivin my dads m3 back from work with good snow tires during a small snow storm and that was not fun at all.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:28 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

there was one for sale in my area that wass selling for 18k. It is pretty much what you want. 37k miles, exhaust already done. I dont know if its still there or not though.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Devitan

Thanks for the info thus far guys. My mustang was ATROCIOUS in the snow. I almost died a few times....really...I live with my family and take the train every day, so getting dropped off at the train station is no problem. I am thinking that I should just hold off until I can afford a second car. You know a beater and the cobra. I guess I could afford now but I am sure insurance will kill me. I am assuming people who have cobras have a back up car they can use. DD a Cobra IS a bad idea...thanks again
Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Devitan
Thanks for the info thus far guys. My mustang was ATROCIOUS in the snow. I almost died a few times....really...I live with my family and take the train every day, so getting dropped off at the train station is no problem. I am thinking that I should just hold off until I can afford a second car. You know a beater and the cobra. I guess I could afford now but I am sure insurance will kill me. I am assuming people who have cobras have a back up car they can use. DD a Cobra IS a bad idea...thanks again
Im sure as long as your driving record is clean your prem. will not be hit too hard , As for a DD with the cobra just go for 19k. spend 17-18k on the cobra and 1000 on a rusty beater , Beaters are fun to drive in the winter so dont over look all the hooptee's .
Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I DD my cobra in the spring, summer and fall. From about Mid November-Early March it sits in the garage and I catch a ride with someone or drive my gf's car. I say hold on buying a cobra untill you can get a Daily Driver for the winter.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Devitan

I just did an Esurance quote and it's like 1200 for a year. My Audi is more lol...I really am going to look into this for the winter. Sell my S4, get a beater, and search for a Cobra over the winter. If anyone sees any nice deals in the NE I would appreciate a heads up. I am going to try to keep coming back to this forum!

Thanks,
Nick