4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

best non-DR tire??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 12:46 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmac72187
+1 on the Vredesteins.

My father is running the Vredesteins and I am ridiculously impressed with their performance. Their wet performance is amazing. Their dry is better than the Nitto 555's from my experience. I would buy them as a street tire if I was looking for them.
Yea, they are probably the best tire ive ever had in all aspects, wet handling, dry traction, cornering, and they last!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:53 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Just got a new pair of nitto 555s on today. Grip well, but no comparison to give ya. What kind of tire pressure you guys running in these sticky streets?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:14 PM
tobyf

thank for all the ideas guys! i just dont have the finances right now do to some health problems. the nitto dr has gotten some confusing reviews. some ppl said that they have to be superheated up at the track to get them to stick. i dont expect them to last long if i always have to burn them off to get them to hook. and i have looked into the nt05's , theydo have the sweetest reviews lately. plus i think i'm gettin et streets on a set different set of rims after i get the rear built.(which will be next spring)
i'll look into all your guys' ideas b4 i go buy.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:39 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
Yea, they are probably the best tire ive ever had in all aspects, wet handling, dry traction, cornering, and they last!
The biggest thing for me was the amazing amount of wet traction.

I was hanging with much more capable cars on tires like the Kumho XS. I lost only 1-2 seconds per lap in pouring rain compared to completely dry while others on better "dry" tires were losing upwards of 10 seconds.

If I went for some street tires I would buy these over 555's anyday. I do not know about the NT05 though.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

vrdesteins have a 280 UTQG, and no central rib, so it won't have any continuousr contact patch with the road, so, on paper, the NT05 will outperform the vrdestein sessantas. BUT, I have not used them, so I cannot say for sure. Anyone used BOTH?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Ive had the BFG g-force KDW, and the Nitto NT555. And i like the NT555s a lil more, i get a damn good amount of traction lol.

My buddy and his 500 hp firehawk had mickey thompson DR's and then switched to the 555 and says he gets more traction in those. He loves em.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
vrdesteins have a 280 UTQG, and no central rib, so it won't have any continuousr contact patch with the road, so, on paper, the NT05 will outperform the vrdestein sessantas. BUT, I have not used them, so I cannot say for sure. Anyone used BOTH?
I have, and like Ive said before, I have yet to find a tire that outperformas the vredesteins IMO.

The price isnt bad and they are amazing tires.

Im not a fan of nittos to be honest, ive had a set that wouldnt balance correctly, switched tires and the problem went away.

Never been impressed with nitto drags either
Old 08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
I have, and like Ive said before, I have yet to find a tire that outperformas the vredesteins IMO.

The price isnt bad and they are amazing tires.

Im not a fan of nittos to be honest, ive had a set that wouldnt balance correctly, switched tires and the problem went away.

Never been impressed with nitto drags either
OK. where do you normally purchase your vredesteins from? Online? Or do you have a shop that orders them for you?
Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Best street tire? Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. I've NEVER come across a tire that sticks better than these for a street tire, but they are expensive as hell.

Second best for the rear? I'm going to go with Nitto 555R's and a good tire on the front.

And dude, if your looking to launch, you won't be doing that on a tire with anything more than a 200UTQG.

If your worried about finances, I wouldn't spend ANY money on your car. Spend it on your health, and when you can, then spend it on your car.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
Best street tire? Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. I've NEVER come across a tire that sticks better than these for a street tire, but they are expensive as hell.

Second best for the rear? I'm going to go with Nitto 555R's and a good tire on the front.

And dude, if your looking to launch, you won't be doing that on a tire with anything more than a 200UTQG.

If your worried about finances, I wouldn't spend ANY money on your car. Spend it on your health, and when you can, then spend it on your car.
ABSOLUTELY! I 100% agree w/ that! Those are such fantastic tires they grip amazingly in all conditions both laterally an in a straight line. Only issue is the price, but it is well worth it. I wouldn't have gone w/ any other tire on my car.

Quick Reply: best non-DR tire??