4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

header opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Default header opinions

here's what i need. i need a set of headers that are made of stainless steel and will fit an auto and not be a bazillion dollars. i have MACs on my 03 GT now, and they're falling of the car with rust. i was going to go with Pypes, but american muscle just told me that they don't fit the automatic, which i'm not sure is entirely true, because MACs do, and Pypes look like a knock-off of MACs. stainless H-pipe is a huge bonus, but i may be able to get a custom H-pipe made for the car. i just want something that will withstand the test of time. i've already paid to have my exhaust done once, and now i'm doing it again. i don't really want to do it a third time.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IRSmart
i was going to go with Pypes, but american muscle just told me that they don't fit the automatic, which i'm not sure is entirely true.
first off are you looking at short or long tubes?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...-96-04-gt.html
If longtubes, where does it say they won't fit?

same for the shorties http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...rs-9604gt.html

and I have BBK ceramic coated LT's, and they've been on the car for close to 6 years, and no rust issues what so ever.

I would suggest SLP headers, but you'll be paying a bit for those, but well worth it IMO.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

sorry, longtubes. americanmuscle told me themselves that none of the longtubes they carry will fit an automatic. but the thing that confuses me is that i currently have MAC longtubes on the car now, and the Pypes look to be the same as Pypes. if the Pypes will fit, i'll just take my chances with their H-pipe (which is rumored to be crap, it doesn't line up right at all and the O2 sensors face down), and if it doesn't fit, i'll return it and get a custom mid-pipe made
Old 08-14-2009, 04:22 PM
JJ_Jonathon

sorry, longtubes. americanmuscle told me themselves that none of the longtubes they carry will fit an automatic. but the thing that confuses me is that i currently have MAC longtubes on the car now, and the Pypes look to be the same as Pypes. if the Pypes will fit, i'll just take my chances with their H-pipe (which is rumored to be crap, it doesn't line up right at all and the O2 sensors face down), and if it doesn't fit, i'll return it and get a custom mid-pipe made
Weird. I'd never heard that the MACs fit an automatic. It's so damn hard to find a set that fits our cars

Why not buy another set of MACs and have them coated?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Capt Hair
first off are you looking at short or long tubes?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...-96-04-gt.html
If longtubes, where does it say they won't fit?

same for the shorties http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...rs-9604gt.html

and I have BBK ceramic coated LT's, and they've been on the car for close to 6 years, and no rust issues what so ever.

I would suggest SLP headers, but you'll be paying a bit for those, but well worth it IMO.
All of the long tube headers on American Muscle specify for a manual. They say manual right in the "fitment" bracket. They don't sell MAC though, so not sure about those and not sure if that specification is 100%.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:45 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

here's what i need. i need a set of headers that are made of stainless steel and will fit an auto and not be a bazillion dollars. i have MACs on my 03 GT now, and they're falling of the car with rust. i was going to go with Pypes, but american muscle just told me that they don't fit the automatic, which i'm not sure is entirely true, because MACs do, and Pypes look like a knock-off of MACs. stainless H-pipe is a huge bonus, but i may be able to get a custom H-pipe made for the car. i just want something that will withstand the test of time. i've already paid to have my exhaust done once, and now i'm doing it again. i don't really want to do it a third time.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...-or-pypes.html

this may help you a little bit..