4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

tranny question t-56 or magnum t-56?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Default tranny question t-56 or magnum t-56?

i have a bit of a dilema...i am doing a t-56 swap here in the next few weeks, assuming the rest of my refinance goes smoothly, but i ran into a problem. I think i have a local guy that i can get a rebuilt t-56 from. 1600 which is a dam good price, then the rest of the swap will put me up around 2500. But they came out with this new magnum t-56 which has the t-56 cobra case, but the tr-6060 internals. Which i guess gets rid of alot of the factory cobra problems with speed shifting and the notchy feel. but that tranny cost 3300 bucks and it is good for over 700hp... question is, do i save a little extra and get a dominating tranny that i wont have to upgrade for years? or just get the factory cobra tranny?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

The magnum has viper spec gear ratios which i think suck a big one for our cars. And the stock cobra tranny is an ok transmission, but my friends with cobras arent too happy with theirs right now. I say just get a TKO or a ProMotion t45. Youre looking at the hp rating that the magnum has, direct swap for your car, and its the price of the rebuilt t56 you found. But if youre dead set on the T56, just save for the big dog.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I'd pick up the rebuilt T-56 which is a good unit in itself
Stay away from the TKO by all means!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
I'd pick up the rebuilt T-56 which is a good unit in itself
Stay away from the TKO by all means!
You use to preach on the TKO lizzy... what's up?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:58 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
You use to preach on the TKO lizzy... what's up?
Ah man, nothing but headaches from day one
Had to replace the shift lugs as it would not go into 3rd gear at WOT above 5k which Tremec took care of as they knew it was an issue. Than the shift fingers/synchros went out and had to get them replaced..........you follow me?
Still makes noise going into 3rd at WOT but works so when it dies gonna get a T-56.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:01 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Ah man, nothing but headaches from day one
Had to replace the shift lugs as it would not go into 3rd gear at WOT above 5k which Tremec took care of as they knew it was an issue. Than the shift fingers/synchros went out and had to get them replaced..........you follow me?
Still makes noise going into 3rd at WOT but works so when it dies gonna get a T-56.
Ah fair enough.... TKO were never high on my list. I've been tossing around the Promotion T-45 and a T-56 myself.

And for the OP... I would get all over that rebuilt.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

For the price, I'd jump on the rebuilt...but the viper spec gear ratio would be sweet for your car as well, double overdrive is the shiznit.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:46 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I think too many people get caught up in the .50 over drive... yeah that would be sweet for highway cruising at 80mph... but there is a lot more to picking transmission gearing then your over drive ratios.

You need to pick the correct gear configuration for your setup... and personally I think the V-spec doesn't belong on a bolt on car.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Well with my 4.10s...it would be nice at 65-70 lol. To each his own, but I assume he would build his car up eventually, and having a Vspec would keep his options for FI open as well.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:56 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Well with my 4.10s...it would be nice at 65-70 lol. To each his own, but I assume he would build his car up eventually, and having a Vspec would keep his options for FI open as well.
Well ex. of what I mean... The V-spec as a really long first gear... unless you're running a really sort finally gear (4.30) you're going to have troubles trying to launch the car. He also needs to evaluate what type of driving he likes to do (street, strip, track) ... and tailor his choices from there.

Further more... I just trying to make sure people don't just get chubbies for the V-spec just because what it is. Even though it's not the right transmission for there application.

I actually sat down one night and mapped out like 5 different transmissions, with 3 different final gear drives just to see where I would be at in each gear with each setup.

Last edited by amoosenamedhank; 08-19-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: tranny question t-56 or magnum t-56?